ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel cleaner - best deal?

172 cup
I am after a decent wheel cleaner at a good price so has anyone got any good links, I am after some of the below or open to suggestions to a ph neutral wheel cleaner?

wonder wheels hot wheels- looks really good but the prices have gone through the roof - up to £10 a 500m bottle?

sonax full effect wheel cleaner - looks amazing results but is it worth the £15 a bottle?

bilberry - is it worth it at all - mixed reviews

NOTE: I'm not after the cheapest one, I'm after best deal atm!

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
I've just ordered 1 litre of this. Good price for amount imo

Edit:
Ive never used Bilberry before so I can't tell you how it performs until I get it however I've used this before and it is fantastic! Bleeds really well and makes cleaning wheels easy as

Wonder wheels hot wheels, the same as Coby has mentioned, but in wilkinson they do the 750ml bottle for £5 as apposed to £4 for the 500ml at morrisons. I'm not sure if they have any in stock but it's worth a try, it's very good.

EDIT - a few people do praise the Bilberry that Dan posted above and for the price, I'd be tempted to go for that.

172 cup
Wonder wheels hot wheels, the same as Coby has mentioned, but in wilkinson they do the 750ml bottle for £5 as apposed to £4 for the 500ml at morrisons. I'm not sure if they have any in stock but it's worth a try, it's very good.

EDIT - a few people do praise the Bilberry that Dan posted above and for the price, I'd be tempted to go for that.

just went and bought 3 of them from wilko so have enough for now :)

i was tempted by the price of bilberry but so make mixed reviews kid of put me off

just went and bought 3 of them from wilko so have enough for now :)

i was tempted by the price of bilberry but so make mixed reviews kid of put me off

You won't be disappointed, it's brilliant stuff for the price. Have you used it yet? Let me know what you think of the smell, it's lovely.

172 cup
You won't be disappointed, it's brilliant stuff for the price. Have you used it yet? Let me know what you think of the smell, it's lovely.

Haha not tried it yet won't get a chance until Saturday now, I've heard it smells like roses is it true ;)

also any idea if it effects wheel nuts, was looking to get polarizerd ones but don't sent them to get ruined?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Autosmart smartwheels is one of the best cost wise. Great cleaner, best using a foaming head I find.

It is true, to a certain degree lol. I can't comment on the polarized nuts though I'm afraid. Take your wheels off and clean them if you're worried, plus you'll be able to clean them inside and out.

172 cup
It is true, to a certain degree lol. I can't comment on the polarized nuts though I'm afraid. Take your wheels off and clean them if you're worried, plus you'll be able to clean them inside and out.

True can be a pain in the ass everytime though, I like to try and look after my nuts :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Has anyone mentioned wonder wheels hot wheels isn't wax safe and isn't a wheel cleaner?

i tried mine today (£5 for 750ml in wilkinson) and I think ironx is better. Wwhw needs longer dwell time and a second hit to get any performance.

Has anyone mentioned wonder wheels hot wheels isn't wax safe and isn't a wheel cleaner?

i tried mine today (£5 for 750ml in wilkinson) and I think ironx is better. Wwhw needs longer dwell time and a second hit to get any performance.

I've not tried ironx so can't comment but after hearing that I'll give it a go when I run out of this stuff.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I've not tried ironx so can't comment but after hearing that I'll give it a go when I run out of this stuff.

Wonder wheels doesn't smell as strong as ironx but that's really the only thing it has going for it.

ill be stripping everything off my car in the next month or two so I'll give hot wheels a proper test against ironx

172 cup
Wonder wheels doesn't smell as strong as ironx but that's really the only thing it has going for it.

ill be stripping everything off my car in the next month or two so I'll give hot wheels a proper test against ironx

Thanks for that knuckles, I don't use any sealer atm anyway, also I heard iron x isn't good to use every clean but not to sure if that's true, what's your review on bilberry?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Thanks for that knuckles, I don't use any sealer atm anyway, also I heard iron x isn't good to use every clean but not to sure if that's true, what's your review on bilberry?

I wouldn't use it every clean, I've read it can make your paint porous. I use it 3/4 times a year tops.

Not used bilberry.

auto finesse verso, apc that can be used on wheels too. I find a 10:1 dilution is adequate for lightly soiled wheels

172 cup
Thanks knuckles I'll give this stuff ago for a while and will look at some better products and sealers come summer e

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Bilberry is basically a brake-dust remover .. so, perfect for wheels obviously. Buy a litre, use it at about 5:1 and see how you get on. Spray, agitate, PW off.

Properly sealed wheels shouldn't need any more than a bit of suds or even just a pressure-wash IME.

Certainly shouldn't need to use IronX or WWHW every time unless you're running something silly like Carbon Lorraine pads :eek:

172 cup
Bilberry is basically a brake-dust remover .. so, perfect for wheels obviously. Buy a litre, use it at about 5:1 and see how you get on. Spray, agitate, PW off.

Properly sealed wheels shouldn't need any more than a bit of suds or even just a pressure-wash IME.

Certainly shouldn't need to use IronX or WWHW every time unless you're running something silly like Carbon Lorraine pads :eek:

was just getting sick of getting the toothbrush to the turnins was taking ages, wanted WWHW or something like that to use than agitate if need be

182 Cup

Yeah, Carbon Lorraine's ruined my wheels. I had to use a variety of things to get the dust off eventually, and even then not all of it came off properly.

There are a lot of suggestions in this thread, without (as per usual it would seem) actually asking what the OP needs in more detail. All the suggestions are worthy for a certain job. WWHW as a cleaner with added fallout remover. Echo this for Sonax FE. Bilberry is a cleaner, so is AS Smart Wheels. Iron X is dedicated fallout remover, so couldn't be compared to WWHW or SFE.

Also, WWHW is wax safe and is a wheel cleaner, Knuckles

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
A lot of wild suggestions lol

IRON X IS NOT A CLEANER!!!

Hot wheels is good as an a all rounder. You will have to leave it to dwell longer as it has twice the job to do.

I'm still a bilberry fan works out very cheap per wash once its diluted and still works very well.

Its good to have WWHW on hand aswell though.

I'm still a bilberry fan works out very cheap per wash once its diluted and still works very well.

Its good to have WWHW on hand aswell though.

A note on this (not getting at you Jay, just worth noting). You should not need to use Bilberry everytime, even highly diluted. If you clean your wheels once, properly, and then seal them well, much like your paint work, the dirt incl bad brake pad dust, should just wash off.

Bilberry is useful for large miles on sealed wheels, or getting them cleaned up when you need some extra "bite", pre decontamination and sealing etc.

Warm soapy water, as per your waxed/sealed paint work, should be all that's required.

Sorry yeah goes without saying really.

When i say per wash i just mean its very cost effective each time its used, my 1L bottle lasted me ages.