ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel project.....

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Bit of a project lol. Bought the car in Jan, gave it a good going over, dents paint etc. Then came to first car wash........ this happened :(

DSC01499.jpg

DSC01501.jpg

DSC01500.jpg

All 4 wheels had been 'refurbished' it seems before i bought it, hense no curbing etc. When i first got the car, the wheels were spot on. Then, after every wash, the paint started flaking worse and worse :rolleyes: . On close inspection the 'refurb' consisted of quick rub down and blow over lol. So, they needed sorting as i'm a fussy tw*t lol. Last week managed to source x2 used but perfect 197 alloys. This then enabled me to refurb the rest (no spare on the 197). So fitted the new ones yesterday (thanks to steve @ Birchdown auto services ;)) So yesterday got back, and set to rubbing down an alloy to have a go at a refurb lol. This consisted of dry sanding the paint back with some P120 sandpaper,

DSC01502.jpg

Was a b*****d with all the spokes etc, but it ended up like this after a wash down with hot soapy water

DSC01522.jpg

DSC01525.jpg

Savage, but with all the flakey paint gone, the new paint had a sound base to stick too :approve:
Then used these to prep the alloy,

DSC01526.jpg

Gave the wheel a wipe down with the panel wipe, this degreases the surface. Then the tack cloth was a handy find in the local DIY shop. This pics up any dust/crap on the surface, VERY handy :)

Then time for primer,

DSC01511.jpg

Had some White metal primer knocking about, came up like this :)

Then coated with a fine mist of Satin Black paint.

DSC01503.jpg

Left it over night.

This afternoon. Got out the 800 git wet and dry, and keyed up the alloy. The reason for the black is to show any scratches/imperfections, like below,

DSC01509.jpg

These areas need more wet sanding to remove the imperfections. I broke through to the alloy in some areas, so another few light coats of primer later, and it looked like this.

DSC01511.jpg

Then a wet sand with 1200 grit paper to key up the Primer for the base coat. As i like the Silver against the Albi Blue, i decided to keep the O.E finish. Found this stuff, very very close match.(nice and sparkley lol) :approve: (Yes it says Laquer, but its the Silver finish ;))

DSC01512.jpg

During.....

DSC01513.jpg

DSC01515.jpg

Base coat complete, :approve: . Must say, this Wurth stuff is VERY good. Much better quality than Halfords rattle cans etc

DSC01517.jpg

Then went in and watched the footie lol. Left the base caot to dry for an hour or so, the shed was nice and toasty with the gas heater i cracked up an hour before.

Then time for the Clear coat laquer. Again used the same make,

DSC01512.jpg

Used the tack cloth to make sure wheel was free of contaminants. Then time for the Laquer. The finished wheel.

DSC01519.jpg

DSC01521.jpg

The camera didn't pic up the finish too well, but its spot on, and i am a fussy b*****d. Brought it inside to cure in the heat for a week. I'll then give it an SRP, and Collinites wax to seal. Then get the tyre refitted. Not a bad job for a Sparkie lol ;)

Already started the other spare lol

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Oh, meant to add, i used FM-696's guide as inspiration. Very helpful :)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Thats good work mate.
Where did you get the paint from? I wanty some to redo my wheels at some point.

How many cans do you think you'll need etc?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Thats good work mate.
Where did you get the paint from? I wanty some to redo my wheels at some point.

How many cans do you think you'll need etc?

Got them from Ebay, just tap in Wurth Silver wheel paint and it should come up. A motorfactors iirc. Two cans of Silver will EASY do 4 imo. Only need x1 can of Laquer. As mentioned its pretty much O.E colour/finish, with plenty of fleck in it :

Loads better now, I can't believe the shoddyness of the original re-furb.

Aye me neither, shocking, and a job i wasnt planning tbh!!!! Still, thought i'd give it a bash as they couldnt be any worse lol

I'll get a few more finished pics tomorrow, i realised i never took many of the finished wheel :(

Last edited:
  320d
You've spend at lot of time and effort on them, looks like a good finish

Did you consider getting them blasted and powder coated as an option?

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
^That tipex one still not sorted?

Great work by the way. Unbelievable how ghetto that first refurb must have been.

SchwepTek™
I have just had the exact same problem with mine. More times i wash, the more paint comes off so will prob be looking at doing this very soon.

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
have had to do this on a few of my 182's :( ive never had to spray a full wheel - just managed to get a way with spraying the odd spoke with rover stone grey - really pleased with the results - never had any wheels flake from the repairs ive done!! (but i have from garage repaires :rolleyes: great write up! its pretty easy when you take your time!! - another top top is to coat the tyre which fairy liquid instead of masking it so once you have finished the overspray will just wash off ;)(if you dont have the pleasure of taking the tyre off the wheel) Top right up Gaz (i know your a fussy bugger like me) :approve:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
You've spend at lot of time and effort on them, looks like a good finish

Did you consider getting them blasted and powder coated as an option?

Well, had a previous set of turinis powder coated silver from lap tab, and wasnt happy with the finish tbh. Very dull, and lacking the fleck. So thought i'd have a bash. No rush is the key, plenty of time to cure before tyres etc. The materials only cost around £30. I'll sell off a spare with a part worn to make some money back ;) If they peel etc in the future i'll probably get them refurbed profesonally, but not powder coated :)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Good work there. Name and shame the garage responsible for the original touch up though heh! The 197 must have been virtually new when you bought it?

Dan

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Last edited:
  Mk1 Maxim Sport
quality work that pal, im in the middle of doing mine an plannin on doin em white lol, i know theyl be a b**ch to keep clean but ahh well. Just a quick question if anyone knows?? once theyv been fully refurbed and left to completely settle will it be safe to use products such as wonder wheels to remove break dust?? i dont wanna go to use it and end up stripping half the paint off lol

Weeman sucks ****
Good write up Gaz. Mine desperately need doing but think they're past a DIY job. Just need a spare set of wheels now...money money money...

A well built VW
quality work that pal, im in the middle of doing mine an plannin on doin em white lol, i know theyl be a b**ch to keep clean but ahh well. Just a quick question if anyone knows?? once theyv been fully refurbed and left to completely settle will it be safe to use products such as wonder wheels to remove break dust?? i dont wanna go to use it and end up stripping half the paint off lol

Get em sealed and you should be able to just wash them Wonder Wheels is BAD!!!

Nice job Gaz tempted to do mines now