ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel refurb + a favour...

Yeah, wasn't happy. Over the phone, was quoted between £35-45 per wheel. Guy at the place quoted £55 per wheel. Told him to jog on, basically.

Ill try that Scott guy that Sargara recommends. Doubtful that they'll get done before FCS now though :(.

Just quickly been googling. Found a powder coating company in Nottingham. Going to give them a bell tomorrow as they say they'll price match any current quote from another company. Hello cheap refurb (hopefully). A company in Bradford charge £1 per inch of wheel, plus that place in Birmingham that charge £20 per wheel.

Rang that Scott guy today. He wants £45 per wheel. Not really worth it imo when I know I could get it powder coated for half the price.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If you go down the PC'd route, get the surface that the bolts sit on taped up or the bolts will come loose if they are sat on PC.

Just quickly been googling. Found a powder coating company in Nottingham. Going to give them a bell tomorrow as they say they'll price match any current quote from another company. Hello cheap refurb (hopefully). A company in Bradford charge £1 per inch of wheel, plus that place in Birmingham that charge £20 per wheel.

Rang that Scott guy today. He wants £45 per wheel. Not really worth it imo when I know I could get it powder coated for half the price.

I've had a set powdercoated before (not at bham) for £20 and the finish wasn't very good and I ended up having them done again. Cheap places like that are fine for gates and railings etc but I will never take them a set of wheels again.

^ That may just be the company you went to tbf. I did originally want them powder coating, as I thought that it was more durable/better option?!
If they'll price match and do the set for £60, I can't really complain. I'm not looking for absolutely perfection on the alloys, aslong as they're not scuffed the feck as they are now lol.

If you go down the PC'd route, get the surface that the bolts sit on taped up or the bolts will come loose if they are sat on PC.
Really? How so?

Last edited:
^ That may just be the company you went to tbf. I did originally want them powder coating, as I thought that it was more durable/better option?!
If they'll price match and do the set for £60, I can't really complain. I'm not looking for absolutely perfection on the alloys, aslong as they're not scuffed the feck as they are now lol.

Really? How so?

Quite possibly, but powder coating is a thicker/heavier coating and is more industrial so it's no surprise the finish wasn't as good tbf.
I'll be surprised (but pleased for you) if you get the set done for £60, especially if they're getting rid of the scuffs etc.

How so - see my comment about it being a thicker coating. If it's not perfectly even around the bolt holes they wont sit right and will wobble/work themseves loose. Same goes for if the do the back of the wheel make sure you cover the surface the hub sits on else you'll get wheel wobble.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
No they won't.

I know at least 3 peoples who have. Well, they have had wheels powder coated and put the bolts on, torqued up, and they have come loose, surely can't be a coincidence, all when recently done too.

Ill bear that in mind anyways, just to be safe. It's not like you'd see those bits of the wheels when they're fitted.

Ill be giving them a bell today to see whats what. Hopefully, if all checks out, ill be able to sneak them in before FCS.

I know at least 3 peoples who have. Well, they have had wheels powder coated and put the bolts on, torqued up, and they have come loose, surely can't be a coincidence, all when recently done too.

Yet I've had countless sets that haven't. The nuts tear into the powder anyway, so it must have been properly pissed on to allow it to come loose. That or the wheels were fitted whilst still warm.