ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel refurb M3...gutted :(

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
So today I put my 18's back on the M3 after being powder coated..
I got them collected for me so never saw them until they were at the tyre fitters, wasn't too happy/sure but thought I might change my mind once they were on so got the tyres fitted and stuck them on after work.

They're not really like the ones I looked at and chose down at the coaters, and my first impressions are they look s**te! :(

On the plus side thought, car drives so much better on them, and back on with my summer tyres so corners are fun again.

IMG_3216_zpsab7b0c0b.gif

IMG_3211_zpsa413be8a.gif

IMG_3212_zpsd35879c3.gif

​Looks like I'll be getting them redone then :(

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
It's like they've mixed white primer and grey primer.

Problem is it's a cash job and they've already got the money etc so not much I can do really. Probably wouldn't be so bad on a coloured car, but being silver is hows how un-silver they are!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Nearly the exact same thing happened to me with my 182 as well! Powdercoaters hate me!

IMG_0545.gif

GSXR + KDX220
Hmmmmm, they definately arent "bling" enough for silver wheels, as said they look almost matt silver. You could try returning with them and say you wanted silver, not grey but as you said it was a cash in hand job, worth a try.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Pics aren't helping but look very matte. Maybe a quick going over with some clearcoat might help?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Take them back, explain the problem. They may be willing to help out in some fashion - esp if they were not as expected

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
They do look a very flat finish, again it's hard to tell in photos. Regardless of how well they drive on 18's, 19's FTW!

Disastra Coupe
Worlds most awful pictures aren't helping matters... But i'd be going straight back and complaining looking at them - this is why you don't trust someone to pick your wheels up after being painted. You need to make sure YOU'RE happy with them on collection.

An orange one
Yeah to echo what's already been said they look far too matte, maybe take them back on the car and they will probably agree with you and offer to redo them at cost??

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Worlds most awful pictures aren't helping matters... But i'd be going straight back and complaining looking at them - this is why you don't trust someone to pick your wheels up after being painted. You need to make sure YOU'RE happy with them on collection.

I know what you mean mate. Thought I'd be ok cos they're supposed to be good and the wheels they had in the workshop looked spot on how I wanted.
They have got as clearcoat on the top.

Pictures aren't great either but it probably makes them look better than they are.

Will nip in and have a word with them but I know what they'll say in all honesty. Live and learn I guess.

You used the same people again after they ballsed up the 182 ones? Or is this bad luck from two different companies? How bloody hard is it to do silver ffs.

Mini JCW
You used the same people again after they ballsed up the 182 ones? Or is this bad luck from two different companies? How bloody hard is it to do silver ffs.

They obviously primered them and thought 'F*ck this, let's go for a pint'.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Colour would probably work on a darker coloured car.

They would look much better a very bright high power silver.

RB Clio 182
Take them back if your not happy with them mate, tell them that you think that they might have forgot to put the colour/laquer on them as they look duller than alci with a four pack of irn bru.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Colour would probably work on a darker coloured car.

They would look much better a very bright high power silver.

I know mate that's what I wanted!

​Nope, 2 different companies completely.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I might just satin black them with a rattle can for now, and worry about it later.

RB Clio 182
I might just satin black them with a rattle can for now, and worry about it later.

Couldnt you just tell them that your not happy with the finish 1st mate?

Surely its worth a try, you payed them for something that doesnt look the same as what you chose.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Dont you have like 3 sets of wheels/Tyres. 2 sets of 18s and a set of 19s? You seem to be spending alot of money refurbing/tyring 3x sets of wheels? Surely cut your loses, sell all the sets and buy some proper Wheels (Staggered, Genuine CSL's, in OEM Finish) Done?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Couldnt you just tell them that your not happy with the finish 1st mate?

Surely its worth a try, you payed them for something that doesnt look the same as what you chose.

I'm going to go in and see them tomorrow, but I kind of know the bloke who owns it, so I know what the answer is going to be unfortunately. Luckily they weren't expensive so I'm not throwing hundreds away.

Dont you have like 3 sets of wheels/Tyres. 2 sets of 18s and a set of 19s? You seem to be spending alot of money refurbing/tyring 3x sets of wheels? Surely cut your loses, sell all the sets and buy some proper Wheels (Staggered, Genuine CSL's, in OEM Finish) Done?

Not really spending a lot as all were bought very cheap. Plan was to sell the 19's because I hate them. Run the 18's as it drives a lot better on them and I have 2 sets of tyres in 18", sell my other set of 18's and then maybe go down the CSL route when I need fresh tyres.

I don't want big blingy wheels on the car, it needs to be as subtle as possible for work.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
They look about as good as my V6 wheels when they got powder coated, after two attempts I gave up

Airfix grey plastic isn't a good look for wheels :(

PS did you take those pics from inside a sandwich bag or something? Lol.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I had a single wheel refurbed and it looked like that after. I kicked off and luckily they sorted it for me.

ITB BG 182
Joe, if your prepared for the trip to Long Eaton I know a chap that does PC'ing and has never let me down.

OR if you really want a solid job with cash discounts, there a mates garage in Mansfield, give him one wheel and he'll show you what he can do.

Wet spray FTW, need a close up picture to see why they are so damn dull, but its probably heavy orange peal or crap in the PC. Should be an easy colour change, good sand, get them level, optional prime (as PC is a good primer really), a perky silver base coat, lacquer