ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheel spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
  182cup & 172 racecar
I must start taking more drugs for.
Morgan wtf are you on about, since when have tyres become related to car value?

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
LOL. my cars only worth £500 shall I try and get some part worn ling long remoulds?
That opinion is almost as stupid as the fact the OP can't tell if his wheels are spinning or not.

ALWAYS buy the best tyres you can afford.

They are the only contact patch to the road.

Really don't understand when people put s**t brands or cheap budgets on a reasonably fast car.

OP, if you are really struggling for grip, then go for a good branded tyre. Especially important in this crap weather. Or drive more to the conditions.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
It does depend on what their use is yes, but to put £400 tyres on a Clio for road use to me is stupid tbh. Whats that, a 1/4 to a 6th of most Clios net worth?

I'm not shy of spending silly money on car modifications as you'll see from my project threads but for a road Clio it just doesn't warrant them for me. An equivalent tyre could be had for much less without the brand snobbery and with a little research. Granted you have the odd hoon in a road car but you're not skirting that fine line of grip corner after corner.

All IMO.
completely disagree with that, i wouldnt spend £600 on r888 on my dci as i dont need that level of grip but on a 172/182 i dont see why anyone would want to save money by not having the best tyres they could buy. Unless they drove it purely because they liked the colour

Listerine & Poledo
Cars get cheaper
Parts stay the same price.
So when did it become wrong to fit Conti's, Michelins, Goodyear or other premium tyres to a car that's supposedly (according to the majority of CS) the best handling vehicle in the whole of time ever?
It's silly.
People buy these cars expecting neck-snapping handling, then slap ditchhunterpro4 remoulds on and are surprised when it doesn't quite work? Madness

Bought a Micra for £100 the other day, not gonna run any tyres because there's none I can buy for £10. And even 10% of the car for maintenance is stupid, my mate only spends £3k for a service on his Ferrari FXX at the local chopshop.

Cheaper y0.

I am 1000% sure every time I come on CS I actually lose braincells, and am starting to wonder why I bother lol. It actually frustrates me every time I come on!!!

Clio 182 FF Orange
Sorry to high jack the thread

I have Sunew ys112 tyres on mine and to put it bluntly they are S**t (they came with the car when i purchased it) i think they would have cost the previous owner about 10 pounds each and a sign the disclaimer of certain death policy....... I am putting Rainsport 3's on today at a cost of 250 fitted so in away i do agree with the previous comments of cost of tyres v value of car but i also dont think you need to be a tyre tart (oh i have michelines etc...) at the end of the day you drive to the conditions but in the case of my old tyres they had no grip in the rain and questionable grip in the dry as i believe the compound is designed for chinese roads where it is possibly 25 plus degrees everyday...... not 0 to 10 degrees. Rant over!!

Bought a Micra for £100 the other day, not gonna run any tyres because there's none I can buy for £10. And even 10% of the car for maintenance is stupid, my mate only spends £3k for a service on his Ferrari FXX at the local chopshop.

Cheaper y0.

I am 1000% sure every time I come on CS I actually lose braincells, and am starting to wonder why I bother lol. It actually frustrates me every time I come on!!!
We should hang out (not of each other etc)

Clio 182 Cup
If your clutch was slipping in 2nd gear you would definitely notice in anything higher up as it will have certainly had it. There is quite a big 'tell tale' difference between wheel spinning and a clutch slipping!!

As for tyres, there really isn't any excuse for not having a good set in my book, fact of the matter is they'll stop you quicker, allow you to have much greater control of the vehicle, not lose traction as easily and ultimately give you a more confident drive. I really can't begin to understand the mind of owners that plump for some 'Wan Li' remould/part worns thinking that's a good idea to save then when hammering the brakes for an emergency stop or traversing wet/icy conditions. Normally also nine times of of ten speaks volumes about the cars owner.

Buy the absolute best you can afford the safety of you, your passengers and other road users or pedestrians, as it's the only contact between the car and the road. The fact there's oil, grease and a raft of other containments on the roads having a good tyre can make all the difference, and the difference you will definitely notice.

Clio 182
If your clutch was slipping in 2nd gear you would definitely notice in anything higher up as it will have certainly had it. There is quite a big 'tell tale' difference between wheel spinning and a clutch slipping!!

As for tyres, there really isn't any excuse for not having a good set in my book, fact of the matter is they'll stop you quicker, allow you to have much greater control of the vehicle, not lose traction as easily and ultimately give you a more confident drive. I really can't begin to understand the mind of owners that plump for some 'Wan Li' remould/part worns thinking that's a good idea to save then when hammering the brakes for an emergency stop or traversing wet/icy conditions. Normally also nine times of of ten speaks volumes about the cars owner.

Buy the absolute best you can afford the safety of you, your passengers and other road users or pedestrians, as it's the only contact between the car and the road. The fact there's oil, grease and a raft of other containments on the roads having a good tyre can make all the difference, and the difference you will definitely notice.
Couldnt have said it any better :)

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Incidentally, 65mph in second equates to 7471 rpm,(allowing for 10% speedo error that is still 6724 rpm) . What is the point of driving like that, way above the peak of the power curve,and on a public road?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
ALWAYS buy the best tyres you can afford.

They are the only contact patch to the road.

Really don't understand when people put s**t brands or cheap budgets on a reasonably fast car.

OP, if you are really struggling for grip, then go for a good branded tyre. Especially important in this crap weather. Or drive more to the conditions.

You ALWAYS wear a crash helmet when driving on the road?

WTF OMG, you're insane if you don't. How precious is your head, you must take absolutely every single step available to protect it. Surely?

You ALWAYS wear a crash helmet when driving on the road?

WTF OMG, you're insane if you don't. How precious is your head, you must take absolutely every single step available to protect it. Surely?

No because that would be more dangerous. Restricts your vision and hearing to some extent!

Nothing to do with the comparison of putting premium or budget tyres on your car though, so absolutely no idea why you've piped up like that!

Listerine & Poledo
In fairness, if you dont dashcam every movement of your car then you're clearly a danger to society. IIRC?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
My T1R's hate these almost minus temperatures, dark, damp nights, best behaviour driving!

misc-jackie-chan.png

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
I run rainsports on the cup, not the most expensive tyre. But a tyre that I am comfortable with for my driving style and the car use, I'm the first to admit that I'm not the best driver and with no ABS I'll take all the help I can get in adverse weather.

Tyres are a topical debate because if you're not pushing the limits is there really a requirement for premium rubber? Some say yes and some say no.

As for coopers, there's currently a set of CS Sports on the Audi....haven't noticed them to be be any worse than the Goodyear Eagle f1s that were on before, even when pressing on. Might be something to do with quattro?

I don't think its just the brand but the model in the range thats a consideration.

Listerine & Poledo
You could fit an audi with bald tyres filled with concrete and it wouldn't make the first difference in handling....

..that said, I do like those A4 DTMs

I run rainsports on the cup, not the most expensive tyre. But a tyre that I am comfortable with for my driving style and the car use, I'm the first to admit that I'm not the best driver and with no ABS I'll take all the help I can get in adverse weather.

Tyres are a topical debate because if you're not pushing the limits is there really a requirement for premium rubber? Some say yes and some say no.

As for coopers, there's currently a set of CS Sports on the Audi....haven't noticed them to be be any worse than the Goodyear Eagle f1s that were on before, even when pressing on. Might be something to do with quattro?

I don't think its just the brand but the model in the range thats a consideration.

Probably a lot to do with it yeah, though grip and traction are different.

Should of kept my mouth shut so my wife keeps telling me lol

LOL!

Titanium 182
Should of kept my mouth shut so my wife keeps telling me lol
It was bound to happen on here pal, things have a strange way of blowing up. You did say the tyres came with the car so not sure why people are berating you like you went out and bought them yourself! However, now you know that they are pants you can go and get some more based on the numerous suggestions lol
Crappy tyres with the damp wet roads is dangerous so just take it easy until you get some better rubber!

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Is there not an argument to say, work with the grip you have, if you cant afford or don't want to spend £600 on a set of tyres, then drive to the tyres grip level, I have medium budget tyres fitted to mine, not the most expensive by a long shot, and I have to work to make them spin or lose traction, in general day to day driving even in the wet they have plenty of grip, I agree that if you can afford better than budget then you should, but if you can't just drive within the capability of the tyre.

Pretty much.

That would be common sense, but there isn't much of that around here :tongueclosed:

The key thing here is that if you're sliding all over the place, then chances are conditions are not correct, driving is poor, or you are driving on elastic bands and should adapt to stay within the cars limits.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Is there not an argument to say, work with the grip you have, if you cant afford or don't want to spend £600 on a set of tyres, then drive to the tyres grip level, I have medium budget tyres fitted to mine, not the most expensive by a long shot, and I have to work to make them spin or lose traction, in general day to day driving even in the wet they have plenty of grip, I agree that if you can afford better than budget then you should, but if you can't just drive within the capability of the tyre.

Aye. If budget tyres are so lethal why when people have even less grip available (when driving on snow for example) is there not complete carnage on the roads?

Answer...because people drive to the grip and conditions available to them.

Simply having lower grip levels is not the sole reason cars leave the road...so to say you should ALWAYS fit the best or else you'll crash and burn is laughable.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive got R888's on the trophy and £15 a tyre budgets on the DCI.

i get to work safely no matter what car i drive, yet im probably cornering 3 times slower in the dci and its moving about more! just need to adjust your driving to the conditions/grip available

Aye. If budget tyres are so lethal why when people have even less grip available (when driving on snow for example) is there not complete carnage on the roads?

Answer...because people drive to the grip and conditions available to them.

Simply having lower grip levels is not the sole reason cars leave the road...so to say you should ALWAYS fit the best or else you'll crash and burn is laughable.

You seem to like to blow things out of proportion.

Not once did I imply that you would crash and burn. So what's laughable is you even mentioning that. Pretty childish to be honest.

All I said was, you should buy the best tyres you can afford. That is STILL the case. That doesn't mean you need semi slick for ultimate grip. Nor does it mean that mid range tyres are s**t.

Buy the best tyres you can afford, and drive to the conditions. End of. Both things I said in my first post.

clio 172 cup
It was bound to happen on here pal, things have a strange way of blowing up. You did say the tyres came with the car so not sure why people are berating you like you went out and bought them yourself! However, now you know that they are pants you can go and get some more based on the numerous suggestions lol
Crappy tyres with the damp wet roads is dangerous so just take it easy until you get some better rubber!
Cheers bud

Cup In bits
I can't even be arsed replying to every post or even reading them tbh. I seen the way the thread was going with the CS massive jumping on the band wagon and saying you can only buy this sort tyre as its instant death otherwise. Its a CLIO sport FFS, some of you need to open your eyes. For a start, most in here wouldn't have an idea what grip actually is and probably can't drive for toffee anyway or drive to the condition's so your opinions are mute points.

I will reply to your post Car Crash though as I see its the theme to all other replys....... At what point did I say go and buy "ling longs".... yeah thought so, I never!! What I said was you should or I personally buy road tyres at a proportionate cost to the cars value up to a certain extent and spending £400 on tyres for a Clio is stupid imo to potter about in. I have no issue spending £1000-£1500 on tyres if I think the car will benefit from them and their designed use.

I suppose if you're sad and your Clio or car is your life then fair enough, go and spend money for moneys sake on tyres because every other Joe Bloggs has them fitted to their car. The OP said he had Cooper tyres and got slated for them, how does anyone know what model or type they're, tyres nowadays don't need to be Michellin, Pirelli or Bridgestone to be good, in fact quite the opposite and the smaller firms are the ones scooping up all the yearly awards so go figure.....

And also before anyone says about my comments in my initial post be sarky... If you ask a stupid question, you'll get a stupid answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.