ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel wobble/vibration

Clio 182 Cup
Fitted 15mm fk hubcentric spacers about a month ago, passenger side front spacer came loose on Sunday night so I bolted it back on and ever since then I've been getting bad wobble/vibrations through the steering wheel when I go over 50.

Any idea what could be causing it?

Clio 182 Cup
Update - All weights still present, had tracking done yesterday, 'wobbling/shaking' the steering wheel there is a slight knock when its goes past centre and now when pulling off from stationary there is also a quiet knock.

Checked for give in track rod ends and bearings but they are both solid

Clio 182 Cup
It has been fine on the spacers for over 4 weeks now, until I crunched the passenger side front down a pothole sunday night whilst turning right and the spacer came loose, had to limp the car home 10 miles with a loose wheel which was knocking very loudly.
Thought this might have damaged something.

172 Cup
Is your wheel loose?

Mine had a knackered hub when I bought it and the knocking noise was there when you turned. The wheel was loose and you could pull out the studs without undoing.

Clio 182 Cup
Update on this, car has been in a garage today and they can't find anything wrong.

Its definitely a steering knock, when resting my hand on top of both front wheels and my dad wiggling the steering wheel both wheels knock. Also when wiggling the steering wheel and sitting in the car the knock can be felt through both footwells.

Getting desperate now, thinking of either replacing everything on the front suspension or just simply getting rid.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
So back to the question above... Have you taken the spacers off and tested to see if the issue is still there?

Clio 182 Cup
Had the spacers off today and the problem is still there, got some new track rod ends coming next week. If they fail to fix it then its ball joints next. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

Will update how I get on.

Clio 182 Cup
So I have fitted new track rod ends and new lower ball joints on both sides and the steering knock is still there.
Really frustrating me now as I can't locate where the knock is coming from.
Now going to be replacing the top mounts to see if that solves it.

TT QS
is this at any speed? mine seems to do something fairly similar but only bellow like 5mph or when stationary.

hoping to sort mine asap but ill keep an eye on this for if you sort yours

Clio 182 Cup
No its normal at speed, only happens when stationary or rolling slowly.

Having pure motorsport top mount and strut brace kit delivered tomorrow and hoping to have it fitted soon as possible.

Already replaced rod ends and ball joints on both sides and it hasn't fixed it. If I fix it I'll post what I replaced.

182cup & 172 racecar
Why haven't you driven down to Fred at Brum and got it checked over, better than just spending money on things willy nilly.

Clio 182 Cup
Glad I had them all done to be honest, rod ends and ball joints were both shot and the car feels so much tighter now plus I had new discs and pads at the same time which were desperate.

If the pure top mounts dont solve it then I will ask fred to check it over

clio 172 cup
hi there this is first time i have been on here just bought a clio 172 cup and when i pull off it bangs like near the passenger side and has a shake on the wheel i have changed all the mounts and the lower one is poly bushed could this be top mounts ore driveshaft and the exhaust nocks at the back

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
hi there this is first time i have been on here just bought a clio 172 cup and when i pull off it bangs like near the passenger side and has a shake on the wheel i have changed all the mounts and the lower one is poly bushed could this be top mounts ore driveshaft and the exhaust nocks at the back

I know you say you have changed all the mounts, did you do the Gearbox mount under the battery?