ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheels and Tyres

I clean my wheels every week but how can you get them really clean? I have seen a stick with a sponge on it in Halfords do these work? Also what are people using to keep the side walls shiny?

Cheers

Nick

Yaris Hybrid

Do NOT use Meguiars Hot Rims or whatever it is called. Some muppet on here recommended it so me being a mug went out and got some.

Tried it today (on the courtesy car hehe) and it is absolutely useless. Comes with enough warnings on the bottle leading you to believe that it is pretty potent but this couldnt be further from the truth. Its more like watered down wonder wheels. Complete waste of space.

To be honest I wouldnt put Wonder Wheels or Hot Rims on my wheels. Wonder Wheels works a treat but its too dangerous. If it aint safe to wash your hands with then it aint safe to go near alloys wheels and (unavoidably) splash on paint work.

I am sticking to good old fairly liquid. You can clean a babys ass with it so its pretty harmless and yet it is designed to remove all sorts of greasy muck that has been welded onto plates etc. It cuts through dirt and brings the wheels up to a fantastic shine. Just use a soft cloth and bucket of warm washing up liquid.

/t0y

PS If you want a two thirds full bottle of hot rims for free and live near Bristol then its all yours!

hi, dont use fairy liquid for your wheels or your bodywork, the salt in it will eventually break down the surface of you paint and destroy your alloys !!!!!!!

i usually just use the same car wash on them that i use on paint, i then polish them with mothers alloy wheel polish, i find that the break dust doesnt stick to this, i sometimes also spray a bit of wilkos alloy wheel cleaner on before washing, then sponge them clean.

i then apply armorall rubber/plastic protector on my tyres (£2.99 from wilkos), makes them nice and shiny

heres mine

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1089060223__DSCF0199.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1087131127__DSCF0198.jpg

the wifes

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1094542036__DSCF0225.jpg

[Edited by 172cup_nut on 10 October 2004 at 1:47pm]

Do you take the wheels off everytime you clean the car? How do you clean inside without taking the car off?

Yaris Hybrid

Wouldnt use washing up liquid on the paint (although my neighbour does and his paint is fine) but its safe on alloys. Its never done my alloys any harm after using it once or twice a week for years, mind you neither has Wonder Wheels - it just discoloured the paint where a bit splashed over.

Ive never kept a car more than three years and the wheels were still like new at the end of that period so I have no doubt it would be at least 5 years or more before you might start to see any degredation if any were to occur.

Of course most people will have curbed the wheels by then or replaced them with after market jobs.

If you ask people how they know it causes damage no one ever says "well it damaged mine". It is just a myth circulated by the manufacturers of car cleaning products so that they can extra a few bob extra from your wallet! Looking at my neighbours car I am seriously starting to doubt whether washing up liquid even damages paint work!