ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheels rub on driver side front

had my 15" alloys on for a couple of days now and the gap between the tyre and front bumper is closer on the drivers side arch than on the passengers arch, were only talking bout 4mm or so but its enough to catch the tyre on the arch when turning the wheel, the tyres are 195-50 profile with bout 3mm of tread. whats the easiest way to fix it and has anyone else had this problem??

clio 20v

must hav had a knock at one time or other, either bent subframe, bottom arm, or chassis

try an identify whats bent bottom arm easiest to replace others major work or jig required

adi

Mr2 Roadster

Exactly the same as mine and two others on Renault Sports club! Mine also rubs on the passenger side front at the back on the skirt! Thats four of us that have the exact same problem, very strange!!!

so as it seems im not the only one with this problem then it must be a renault design fault?????? would changing the tyres to 45profiles make much difference, cos il prob need to change the front tyres within a couple of months anyways

i have this problem on the valver, took it in this morning to britten tyres in reading who are going to look at the camber of the wheels which could be a tell tale sign that something is twisted or bent under the car, hopefully its the arm because they can take the bush out and adjust it with washers.

Also caused more wear on my tyre passenger side, not nice, my tracking is also way out.

intersting to see what the cures are on here

Sold MK1 RSI to travel

I have had scrubbing on the rear driver side, clio 16valve phase 1s lowered 40mm i think on spax. Checked my rear driver wheel and there is a cut mark appearing around the outside of tyre. I think its the arch as it has curled and bent over time, exposing a sharp edge. So I bashed the sh*t out of it last night with a hammer (which is what bodyshop did on my old clio with 15s on),taking out half my paint work!!!, hoping it has resolved the problem, will let you know thursday if otherwise when I drive the battered old beast.

The rears have had the plastic bits taken out from the arch too. The fronts are fine, must have been a knock there Boucherie.

Otherwise yeah, Ill be getting 45mm on the back for now and when I can afford it the fronts.

Mr2 Roadster

My rears are fine and I run 205/50/15s just on the fronts at the two places, which differ from wheel to wheel!!!! :confused:

Mr2 Roadster

What mumbo did I write!!!

I run 205/50/15s all round

I only scrape on the fronts at the two places, which differ from wheel to wheel. The front arch liner on the drives side and side skirt on the passenger side!

Sold MK1 RSI to travel

It turns out Im pretty sure, that it was the arch that had curled up with age on the inside and was catching my wheel, it still caught it once today, but not by much, so hopefully it should be sorted.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

My XR2i does the same with 16" rims on, just rubs on the drivers side but I know thats cause of a smack cause I brought it of the GFs mom

right just finished sorting out the drivers side arch, it had dropped a bit and bulged out towards the tyre so after a quick pull and some banging its been straightened out, so il see if that makes much difference!!! i might get my mate to check the tracking cos im sure that its out, not by much but maybe just enough to catch the arch etc.

scotty16V what was the problem with your car in the end, was it minor work??

I had the same problem with my front driver-side wheel. It was a combination of things including, bent subframe, bent wishbone, bent hub and the camber was out. But its all fine now!!

wado, sounds painfull on both the car and the wallet. how much did it cost to get it all fixed, just trying to get some prices of worst case scenarios so that if major work is needed i dont need to plan a bank raid!!!

just got back in from work and the wheel def aint catching the arch anymore, and itll do it even less when i get my 45profiles on!! lol

not sure yet boucherie...we measured the camber but in the books it give 4 different measurements because people mod these cars so often.

Problem is that we dont know which measurement to use.

getting new tyres by tuesday and the tracking done too, then see what happens but going to get the camber checked again anyway as sometimes on corners the tyres screech a little even a low speed.

Think I may also have the same arch problem as you too!...but camber is pretty important if its wrong....will update when i have more

Sold MK1 RSI to travel

Okay, the noise was the steering wheel creaking as Im aware becasue its old. But I thought the noise got worse, but it turned out my alloys have directional tyres on so thats why.

But my arch was bent where the rust builds up, battered it with a hammer for a smooth face and went round a roundabout too quick, hurd a huge scrub. Anyway turns out it just came back our from being flat into a jagged edge.

So tomorrow for last time, hopefully, Im gonna bash it all the way in so that it is bent all the way back and drive as sensibly as possible. Ive been told that at 70 on the motorway that could cause a blowout, so v.dangerous.

Looks like Im gonna have to get 4 low pros as I thought I could buy just 2 for now from MyTyres but you have to buy a set! Bummer!!!

looks like im in the same boat si_5, as im still getting rubbing on both the drivers side and the passengers nearside rear with 50 profile pirellis so im thinking that by sticking 45 profiles all round this is less likely to happen, (cos the 45profiles are 9.75mm smaller than the 50s) does anyone else back this theory up??

Sold MK1 RSI to travel

Well Ive bashed my passenger arch up like the driver side (rears) as my side is fine but the passenger side rubbed. So if this deosnt work, its back on the 14s until I get some lo pros. What the point? Its doing my nut in!

Oh yeah I took the screws ouyt of the skirts nearest the rear wheels so once you bash the arches the force shouldnt force them to bend again.

Will be in touch Boucherie, taking her for a test drive tonight.

Sold MK1 RSI to travel

Right, so now the wheels are all right, I mean they rub say once maybe twice if I go over some dodgy unlevelled bit of road, but the arches are fine. It used to rub big time, (loud) I tell ya, its very little, now but no sharp edges on the arch.

Dont want to stick the 14s back on, so will get some lo pros which will mean very little if any rubbing but a more uncomportable ride.

Well Im not going to spend any major money on this car, I will sell it once I get some money and buy something newer.

End result:Not very happy with the car.

mines now exactly the same si, sorted out the arches but still rubs if i go over a rough bit of ground though not as much, dont have any confidence going round the roads like i used to for fear of a blow out even though the tyres are perfectly ok!! might stick my 14s back on as im going away for the weekend and id rather be safe than sorry, then when i get back il buy a set of lo pros, so my 50s will be up for sale if any1 wants a set of decent tyres??