ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheels Wobbling

Recently noticed my wheels have a slight wobble.

I put new wheels on last night (brand new tyres just fitted and wheels balanced) and noticed they wobble so i took them off and put my old wheels back on and the wobble aswell but not as noticeably

My old wheels are narrower and a much higher offset than my new ones

old wheels are 15x7 et37
new wheels are 15x8 et15
So would that make it alot more noticable on the new wheels?

All i have noticed is all my wheel bearings are completely shagged. Could this be the source of the problem?

My only other thought would be im using the wrong bolts for the wheels but the taper on the bolts sits flush in the holes for the wheel. And i am using the correct size spigot rings and the wheels sit solid on the hubs

They are Japan racing jr9wheels they had a 74.1centre bore so i fitted 74.1 -60.1 spigot rings. I haven't tried fitting them with them removed but if i did wouldn't that put massive strain on the wheel bolts.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
If all of your wheel bearings are shagged, then yes, you'll get wheel wobble.

Swap out the bearings first. Then if you still have wheel wobble it is down to the wheels / fitment of the wheels on the hubs and you'll need to start troubleshooting.

But first, do the bearings if they're goosed.

And you'll need correct bolts as a second place to start. Sort both of these things first.

Cheers, I have 4 new bearings on order so should be here by mid week. Also going to replace 2 complete lower arms.

fingers crossed this will solve the problem. If not then ill ring up the company and ask for the exact wheel bolts for the wheels and get a ser of them.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
As above. If the bearings are knackered I would of got these fixed first over new wheels, etc.

Get them changed and see if it still persists. Regardless, they'll need doing.

Cup In bits
To answer one of your questions, yes the new wheels will increase any wobble or highlight any play in your steering/suspension components as they have increased your positive scrub radius by 44mm on that axle which is huge. You'll also notice less stability and stronger wheel centring with them on too.

Cup In bits
I meant 44mm per axle.

Also do you run the disc screws on the front? Just thinking something (rust or a stone etc) could have got down the back of the disc/hub mounting face and gave you the wobble.

Also how much weights does all your wheels have on them? If it's anything above 70ish grams then the buckle is pretty hard to balance out totally.

No i don't have the disc screws in. Just recently done the discs on the front and never got any with the new discs and didn't take any out to out the new discs on.

Im not to sure how many wheel weights their are to be honest their are a fair few though.

If the wheels are brand new they shouldn't be buckled? Either that or my mates made a mistake when balancing them.

Cup In bits
I would pull off the discs and check for rubbish on the hub mating faces before doing your bearings as that's quite a job to do really. Having the screws in stops rubbish getting in behind there while doing wheel changes as well as making it easier to mount your wheels.

New wheels shouldn't have loads of weights really. If your mate is a tyre fitter he should tell you anything more than 70g of weights then you should replace/straighten a wheel to be 'right'

Ill go to the scrappies at some Point and get the screws off another Clio and clean them up, ill have a look behind the discs tomorrow and give everything a good clean.

Could it be anything more drastic than bearings for the rear wheels as i have new wheels on the back and my old wheels on the fronts at the moment but even if i put all my old wheels back on. They are all wobbling and i have tried my 2 new wheels on every axle and they are wobbling too.

Thats why was thinking it could be down to the bearings.

Ill count up the wheel weights as well and see what my mate says about it. Might get them to re balance them as well, just to make sure

Cup In bits
If it's doing the same with all wheels on the back axle, assuming the mating faces are clean on both wheel and hub and the wheels have all been balanced then it can only be the bearing's on the back.

The front is a different story.

Saying that...if you have wobbling, just checking the bearings is 1,000,000 times easier than swapping everything around trying to stop the problem.