ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When 2 clios become one

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
Right im new to this so this thread could be a bit of a fail but oh well... So the story starts off with my first car a 1997 clio rl bought for £240

010_zps87280795.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

it was a good car and did me well for my first year of driving. i did a few fix ups to it along the way new brakes as the old ones were shot!

IMAG0009_zps2cd1c8c5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

fitted some headlight tint and painted the badge white its a bit of a marmite thing but i quite liked it at the time

DSC00006_zps9ca5084d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

then ended up paining the steels black with hammerite and fitted sparco mudflaps and a backbox whick im unsure what make it was

014_zps9e211d4c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i had it like this for a while then i decided i needed some new wheels so i managed to purchase a set of williams spare wheels £70 for the lot with tires

016_zpse4ed3328.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

which i then later on painted glacier white and the side bump strips too

IMG_0122_zps9d3ae5bb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and thats how it was in the end before it failed its MOT on rust all at the back end. it was a great car and i loved it but it was finished :(
So i thought long and hard and i was going to try and weld it but the more i looked the more rust i found and it would only last for a while before more rust appeared so it had to go.
Until i found another one down the road that had been sitting for 2 years and ended up getting it for £50 mainly because it had sat so long and the owner said that it didnt start so i had a mess about with it one afternoon and got it working and driving so i bought it :). More tommorrow guys.

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
The 1.2 d7f engine really nice sweet running engine when looked after :) wouldnt mind a bigger engine at some point maybe a 1.8 valver engine.

ali-ham

ClioSport Club Member
  williams + 182's
i like older clio's too, good to see some of these in project threads, need to keep them alive!!

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
i know! they are a dying breed haha. Going to add more to this thread tomorrow when i have time. hopefully should be an interesting read.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Mk1 Ph3... best Clio I ever had even with headlamp lenses that just dropped out at traffic lights. Loved it so much I dropped a 2.0 16v in it.

Looks very well on the white steelies

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
Right so as i promised more today :) so the plans for keeping the clio were scrapped. so i went and bought this
IMG_0547_zps6f1ace1b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

the red one on the right. Yes its a 5 door and i know thats not as good looking but its the only clio mk1 i could find nearby. so its not in the best condition the passenger window is smashed, none of the lights work,the side trims are missing, it has some questionable alloys on it and really its just been neglected.The one on the right by the way is the old one :) as you can see i had a random moment and painted the bonnet matt black and smoothed over the badge. i might use it still we will see. more pics

IMG_0542_zps7e8ce5c5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0538_zps77b57f66.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0540_zpsb136017d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i also had a shot of lowering the white one, not sure by how much but quite alot :p
Right so finally this is the plan.... Do an engine and subframe swap from the white clio to the red one then swap over every panel i can that is better to hopefully make one good one out of the two. its not much but its a good project for now.
in the long term i will be wanting to possibly convert the clio into a van by welding up the back doors and paneling over the windows. something different :) havent seen it done before. i would like to see what people thought of this? then i would like to find some new bumpers instead of the stupid grey plastic ones. maybe some williams or valver bumpers like this
n513660715_4622567_521_zps6fd7714d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

then a respray still unsure about what colour yet and a few more things which i will think of along the way.
Anyway thats all for today i will be posting as frequently as i can and get pictures along the way.
more soon guys :p

Deffo keep it white! make it a nice tidy example, subtle mods, will look ace!

Than when you get bored, stick a 2.0l in, roll cage, recaros etc ;)

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
yeah i was thinking white so it will remind me of the good old days of driving the white clio haha

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
hello so i started stripping down the red clio today , just getting rid of all the bits i wont be keeping
IMG_0548_zpsf0de31a8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

lost a few bolts in the gravel haha :p they will turn up soon
so then i decided to take both clios into the barn ready for the engine swap
IMG_0561_zps0ecb22a5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i drained the fluids in the red clio and decided that i would just drop the whole engine and subframe out in one as i didnt have an engine crane.
IMG_0564_zps1978e597.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

wiring harness out
IMG_0566_zpsd1e5e53c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

engine unbolted from the mounts and the subframe unbolted . Then came the huge pain of unbolting the steering column took me at least an hour to do trying to unbolt it while lifting the rubber grommet up was almost impossible but i did it. wont be doing it much more though. i used my dads Landrover jack to lift the body up so i could roll the whole engine and subframe out from under the car dont think i could of done it without it.
IMG_0567_zpsebcb5bb7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

an empty engine bay :approve:

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
this is how high the front had to be lifted to roll the engine and that out
IMG_0569_zps2588a2f7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

sorry about the quality but you get the idea

IMG_0575_zps74c5d2f8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

the whole thing out :) now just the white one to do might start that this weekend if i have time. more soon guys

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
lack of updates sorry. well after getting the engine out of the red clio i moved on to the white one and got that engine out too it took longer because i didnt want to damage anything. i didnt get many photos but these are ones i got.
IMG_0577_zpsccc8e2cf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0578_zpscdd1221d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0579_zps236e83f6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
ok so while everything was out of both cars i did some tidying up of bits with some hammerite paint
IMG_0581_zps27a9ded2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

did the whole engine bay in hammered black and engine mounts in hammered silver

IMG_0584_zps83c8a1d5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

also painted the subframe in hammered silver. i think im just paranoid about things rusting beyond repair haha

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member

Looks like a rally car in those lol, all it needs is a lairy cammed+bodied 1600 lump and a stripped interior lol. (well, and the rest)

It's a shame they rust for fun really, but subscribed to see what you do with it. Valver bonnet?

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
also got all the engine ready to swap over
IMG_0583_zpscb7cd3c2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and some goodies arrived in the post

IMG_0612_zps09f0a5a1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

new window to replace the smashed one on the passenger side

IMG_0009_zps928251e3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

got myself a new steering wheel to go one once its running feels nice too :p
More soon guys

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
Looks like a rally car in those lol, all it needs is a lairy cammed+bodied 1600 lump and a stripped interior lol. (well, and the rest)

It's a shame they rust for fun really, but subscribed to see what you do with it. Valver bonnet?

Thanks for subscribing i appreciate it :) i would like to do a whole valver front end swap if i can find all the parts (bonnet,bumper,lights and wings) i think the phase 1 and 2 fronts look so much better than the phase 3 but thats my opinion

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
right so good news THE ENGINE IS IN!! wooo here are some pics of it going in

IMG_0585_zpseddcfa5c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0586_zpsb3fc9d50.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0587_zps05cc9c6e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0593_zpsead67493.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

didnt take as long as i thought had to make new subframe bolts as i had to cut the old ones to get the old engine out. really stupid design putting a locking nut inside the box section all it does is spin round when you try and loosen it. But made my own and it feels pretty solid if not better than before.
Its all in now just wiring and all that to do tomorrow :approve: and it should start cant wait!!

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
Also i have noticed my pictures are very low quality so ive bought myself a new camera instead of using my ipod camera. really getting into the thread now so i thought i better get something for decent pictures should arrive in a few days so i will have a play with that when it comes.Also just won short shifter on ebay which should be arriving soon should make a nice feature to the car. Thats it for now guys more soon :p

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
Right so i've been having a lot of problems getting the car started firstly the immobilizer kept kicking in when i turned the key. This was fixed by swapping round the ecu's and the decoder ring (i think its called that) the thing around the ignition barrel. so i got that sorted out but then i had a new problem, there was no spark or fuel getting through. so i looked on many forums with most of them saying clean or change the TDC sensor i did this with both sensors because i still had the one out the old clio engine. still it wouldnt fire up. in the end i was about to give up and just thought maybe i should just change the wiring loom over, did that and it started up first time TYPICAL! so no idea what that was some wiring might have got damaged in the swap.

but anyway here is a video of it starting :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
i also cracked on with a few other things the passenger window that needed replacing as the old one had smashed
IMG_0613_zpsfda72786.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0614_zpsd567b4f0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

there was a ton of glass at the bottom of the door which needed scooping out
IMG_0615_zps2fb276c6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

the new window slid right in one of the easiest things ive ever done :D

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
these arrived in the post too
IMG_0617_zps5987d450.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

new shocks and lowering springs
but i went to fit them and the hole spacing is just out not by alot just a tiny bit its weird because they look exactly the same as the ones that came off
IMG_0619_zps6af3c0a4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

why is this? did not all mk1 clios have the same hole distance? anyway more soon guys :approve:

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
this arrived in the post today :D
1_zps3b20fe1b.jpg
[/IMG]

its so shiny! almost to good to put on the car will get round to installing it soon. :cool:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 112

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Interesting mark 1 project.
Interesting indeed.
Can I ask, why swap the lumps over? They are both 1.2 D type engines are they not?
Also want cheap mark 1 bits? Get on Clio16valver. Loads are being broke right now.

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
Interesting mark 1 project.
Interesting indeed.
Can I ask, why swap the lumps over? They are both 1.2 D type engines are they not?
Also want cheap mark 1 bits? Get on Clio16valver. Loads are being broke right now.

Thanks for having a read :)
well the reason im swapping the engines is because the white clio is too far gone to keep on the road it has 2 huge holes in the box sections holding the whole rear axle on. But the engine out of it has only done 70,000 miles and still runs good where as the red clio's engine had a blown head gasket and has 140,000 miles on it so i thought just swap them over for now, as im only 18 i am going to wait till my insurance drops a bit then maybe swap in something bigger maybe a 1.8 valver engine or 2.0 williams but just so i can get it on the road i am putting the 1.2 in and doing a few upgrades to the body and that. Also yeah i never thought to look on clio16valver for parts thanks i'll have a look.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Makes sense then. Understand the logic.

Just to let you know, you can change the airbox location on this engine into the scuttle panel and it basically will draw nice air in and make it colder.

Plus looks nicer than the plastic tube box.

Upgrades to the body, you'll get rsi skirts for a good price, but not much on the body needs work (unless your ram raiding halfords backwards.)

Clio 172 phase 1
I got tat gear shifter it's nice stiff at first but then it wears in a bit and its soo nice ... Also ur garage is ace wish I had a workshop!

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
I got tat gear shifter it's nice stiff at first but then it wears in a bit and its soo nice ... Also ur garage is ace wish I had a workshop!

i cant wait to install it :) and yeah its a good sized garage just the floor is so dusty everything gets covered in the stuff haha

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
Hello well i fitted the short shifter today which was harder than i thought i didnt realise that the gearstick comes out the bottom of the surround and is held in with a circlip but to be honest its probably easy to do if you have the right tools for getting circlips out, but i only had long nose pliers so it took a bit of fiddling also i had to cut the old knob off as its glued on :S nice one renault! but the new short shifter just fits back in easily and im really pleased with how it looks :) i do have pictures of bit but i left the camera up the road so i'll put them on tomorrow.

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
i forgot to say that i swapped the steering wheels round the other day as i couldn't wait any longer to put it on. so this is it before
3_zps6abe37be.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and after

4_zps3c1cdce6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

also put all the dash back in to tidy it up
5_zps465a179b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
was hoping to get the pics up of the short shifter but my daily car (fiesta zetec s) has had to go to the garage with power steering problems
heres a pic of it
resized_zpsc2ec3cd2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

TDCI Power! 60 mpg haha

other good news new brake lines arrived from gsf car parts and i have a little idea planned :D for the clio but its a secret for now more soon.

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
ok so i worked on the car for a bit today and got some pics of the new short shifter

this is it before
6_zpsb4b95019.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and this is it in the surround which i got bored and painted
7_zpsa6fee8c8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and back in the car

8_zps34fb63d8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

with all the surround back on
11_zpsc1be26d2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i think it looks really good it does feel really stiff but im sure once it is worn in it will move easier
also i set about fitting my new brake lines, i was tempted to get braided lines but after looking at the price i just decided to get the regular rubber ones
9_zps4d21ca89.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i could only get one side done as i rounded of the nut twice!! on the passenger side and it still wont come off. so looks like i will be needing a new copper brake line the joys :dapprove:
10_zpsb5f4f8ad.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

also thinking about painting the calipers what do people think??? anyway more sooon guys

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
i like the shifter!

Black calipers always look tidy

cheers will need to try the shifter out on the road to see how good it is really
also yeah i was thinking black but i have a spare can of red caliper paint from when i did my fiestas calipers suppose i can only try and see :p