ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When doing CamBelt...

ValverInBits
....what is changed.

As far as i can see:
  • Aux Belt
  • All aux tensioners
  • Water pump (recommended)
  • Cam Belt
  • Cam belt Tensioners and pulleys
Special Tools required for the job
  • Crankshaft TDC pin
  • Tool for locking cams (at the Flywheel end)
is the phase shifter on the inlet cam also changed? If it is, am i right in thinking that an extra tool is required?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
when locking the cam, remebr big Ds up, or half moons up some people say

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
yer lol, we all know it as big Ds up in my garage, kinda catchey so u wont forget:)

ValverInBits
Lol, like it. Do you know about any of the other questions asked? really want to know if the phase shifter is changed?

CB600FS
You will destroy them getting them out (these come out to let the cam locking tool in), about £10 for a pair, not worth messing about with them.

LY 182
no the phase shifter isnt changed with belt changes you can change it if you like at extra cost but if it aint broke dont fix it
if you do wish to change it you need the pulley locking tool aswell

Lionel Richie
you should slacken off the inlet and exhaust pullies too when you do the cambelt

core plugs - aka cam seals £11 for the pair

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
as you have to lock them in time with the TDC of the crank, then fit the CAM lock tool

lock the pulleys in place with the pully lock tool, crack the seal and bolts off the pullys, fit the belt and rotate the pulleys through 4 turns with the tensioner (sp) set in place to tension the belt, then bolt the pulleys backup tight.

you have too do so to get the correct timing and belt tension.

You will need the cam puley locking tools as well.

ValverInBits
just whipped off the engine mount to have a reccy' down there. It looks impossibly tight! Once the engine mount is off, the top cam cover bolts are nearly all completely inaccessible!

I'll post some picks in a tick to show you what i mean.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
we know LOL

you need to get a angle gauge on the end of a wrench to torque the pulleys too the correct angle... nice

BenR has a special tool to do the job,

ValverInBits
Jesus. I think I'm just going to whip the engine out. Lol, i say "whip".

It's the cardboard shield and these two bolts and I bet they are not the hardest of the lot either.
DSC02488.gif

DSC02486.gif

What does everyone think about the state of my CamBelt anyway??
It's done 40,500 and it's a nearing 6 years old
The aux belt looks about the same/a bit better

DSC02484.gif

DSC02482.gif

Thanks guys

Just change the lot.

You'll gain access with the aux belt off, the noise insulation off and the engine raised up.

Cover bolts are all accesable with shallow sockets and ratchet spanners, same with the lower plastic cover.

I dare say nobody will comment on the state of a cambelt from a picture lol.

BMW M135i
Just did mine this weekend and while some bits are a bit of a mare its not impossible, it helped me having done it on my previous 1.6 and the setup is very similar.

The soundproofing comes out easy enough which give you some more room, and as you have to remove the mount and support the engine with a jack I unbolted all the mounts barring the upper gearbox mount which allowed me to lift the engine up and down depending on which bolt I needed to access.

The hardest part is getting the intermediate timing cover off (the lower black plastic one) and its a fvcking pig! There is only just enough room and it has to come off a specific way too.

I never slackened the cam pulleys off the renault manual doesn't state to do it either and I haven't had any problem.

PM me if you want the manuals which tell you pretty much what you need to do.

But you will need the cam/crank locking tools and the aux belt tensioner tool.