ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When fitting cams...

Cro

Meg'd r27
.. few questions about when I'll be fitting new cams over the next free weekend.

Is there anything specific that needs done, like lubing them up or cleaning anything in particular (oh hello) they aren't new cams but new to my engine?

I presume the cams will be able to be moved pretty easy once fitted for timing (obviously being locked at tdc already) or will there only be one way of them sitting correctly?

I know the order of re-tightening the rocker and the torque settings etc so that won't be a problem.

The dephaser and timing belt will be getting changed at the same time but that stuff i'm grand with.

Is there anything else worth doing while I have the cams out like cleaning, priming and fitting the tappets again or just leave them? Headgasket? given its just another few bolts (hoping they havn't lengthened too much)

On a related note to get the car to mapping will it be ok just raising idle to get it started and running?

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Hi mate, I thought someone might have chipped in!

I didn't fit mine, Danny did but the tappets were left as they were, and the head gasket was left too, unless you have a problem with either id leave well alone.

The cams are just fitted with a little oil. The most important bit seems to be cleaning the old rocket gasket / sealant to esure you get a good seal. If the rocker leaks, you can't fix it without new cambelt kit etc.

Dan made it look easy tbh!

Oh and you shouldn't even need to raise the idle, mine ran fine with the cams in, can be a little hesitant but drove well enough to get to mapping

Hope this helps a little mate

Cro

Meg'd r27
Good stuff cheers Dave, danny didn't lube them up with anything special just oil? Cheers fred thats a smarter idea and then just stick the rocker on

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Nope not that I saw mate, I'm sure if it was a brand new never run engine it would be different, but no need as as soon as you turn it over they will be lubed afaik

Lionel Richie
^or you crank the engine with the injectors disconnect in about 10-15sec bursts a few times to build the oil pressure before firing ;)

ITB'd MK1
Nope not that I saw mate, I'm sure if it was a brand new never run engine it would be different, but no need as as soon as you turn it over they will be lubed afaik

takes a little time to circulate oil round an engine thats fresh, or hasn't run for a while. As said, cranking over until the oil warning light goes out before letting the engine fire does the job.

fitting cams, just a dribble of oil over the lobes and journals is enough. When building up a complete engine, I personally like to use ATF as assembly lube, others like different things such as graphogen, redline assembly paste, moly grease.

ATF makes things glide ...
th_VIDEO0013.jpg

Cro

Meg'd r27
How do you tell if the new cams are seated right? Obviously the lobes are different so don't match where the followers are, do you just find where sits best closest to stock timing and the rocker will push them down? Then use re pulleys to set where correct timing is?

Cro

Meg'd r27
That's how I'm doing it here Fred but they don't sit completey flat across the whole way cam, will the rocker just push them down ok?