ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When I Turn My Steering Wheel I'm Getting A "Cracking" Sound Of Noise?

Clio DCi 65
Passed couple of days now I've noticed that whenever I'm turning my steering wheel around, not even on full lock i'm getting a "cracking" sound of noise coming from my steering wheel,

Anyone got any clues as to what it might be?

Not got a car
I get this and did in my new'ish 172. But mine was from the susspension on full lock. I always thought it was normal

Clio DCi 65
"Loose Rack Mounting Bolts" - I'm clueless when it comes to this,

Is it going to be cheap/expensive fix!?

^it's worth trying first IMO. if you can't put it up on stands yourself, whip it round to a friendly garage and ask them to raise it on a ramp so that they can check tightness of the clamps that hold the rack to the subframe - check they're as tight as they can sensibly be, see if it sorts it. bung the garage a fiver or something

if it's not that, it'll cost, as something will likely need replacing

as said, this only seems to affect the RS cars with the hydraulic rack - don't know if you've electric in yours and/or the problem doesn't affect the cars fitted with electric racks. worth trying for the minimal effort/expense anyway