ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where’s my caster?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Where’s my caster?

Okay, so I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. Basically my car has a lot less caster than I expect it should have. I’m lead to believe they should run around 3.10 degrees of static caster from the factory, of which I’ve seen plenty of cars running.

My car currently

- Clio 2005 FF with both cup packs.
- Correct Cup lower arms
- Powerflex black lower arm bushes
- Roll centre correction hubs
- AST 5100 dampers.
- PMS topmounts.

Upon having the geo done you can see I’m sitting around 2.3 area which is pretty low to my mind.

When I fitted the arms I even pushed (for what it’s worth) the uniball carriers as far forward as possible before tightening.

Puzzled by this is started to look back through the cars history, and found the caster angle has always been lower than expected, so clearly nothing I’ve done since has altered this.
As said, I’ve seen standard cars with more caster than this. If we are splitting hairs, in theory I’ve got a slightly lower rake angle (front to rear) over the whole car so should have marginally increased the caster that way anyway.

You can see from the images below the offset drilling’s in the arms indicating these are indeed genuine Cup arms. The Powerflex bushes are up against the machined stop indicating the arms are in their correct location. I don’t wish to run the AST topmounts as I prefer the design of the PMS variants with the associated brace and have seen the turrets fail with the ASTs.

So failing to re-drill my lower arms to offset the lower uniball carrier even further.
Any suggestions welcome as to why I’m seeing such a low caster angle?

Anyone seen this before or have any ideas?

Thanks. 🙂👍🏼

33966EB0-8803-443A-BA68-AEC42AE71206.jpeg
EADC0ABD-8F38-4116-B484-6E6439676F9B.jpeg

This is my current geometry.

9DA77DC7-4EF5-4E8C-95F5-D0B93332ACD6.jpeg

This was back when the car was stock.

9FE9AC30-33A8-4BAC-A00F-DAD8CB7084D7.jpeg
7EEB0F7E-3FCC-46D5-AFF0-D2CB000CA4F6.jpeg

Are they configuring the machine to read the actual caster? Because when I got mine done with corner weighting it was 4.6 ish, then some time after a quick toe setting at kwik fit with tyres was 3.2

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Are they configuring the machine to read the actual caster? Because when I got mine done with corner weighting it was 4.6 ish, then some time after a quick toe setting at kwik fit with tyres was 3.2

Not sure really mate.

You’re always limited with these places as to how well they know how to use the alignment equipment they have or if they just make it all “green” on screen and give it back to you.

I used to have a fantastic alignment place local but not anymore.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
My car is always Aligned at the same place and they really really know what they are doing.. They align race cars all the time.. My caster before Roll centre correction kit was roughly 3ish. Since fitting the RC kit i lost about 1 degree.. Nothing else was changed on my car..
e084282e128417142ab2f67913c32d29.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting as to why you lost caster post fitting the roll centre hubs Eddie.
Doesn’t make sense to me, but I’m obviously missing something. Lol

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Interesting as to why you lost caster post fitting the roll centre hubs Eddie.
Doesn’t make sense to me, but I’m obviously missing something. Lol
I'm not gonna lie.. I aint got a scooby either.. my guess is that its the direction and height that the wishbones sit at.. But i will add the steering feels so so much more precise and direct since the RC kit and i probably dont know what im supposed to be loosing out on by the loss of caster.. [emoji2369]

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not gonna lie.. I aint got a scooby either.. my guess is that its the direction and height that the wishbones sit at..

So because they’re lower they effectively make the strut stand more upright?

I must admit I’m seriously tempted to re drill a set of lower arms and move the balljoints further forward.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
If it really bothers you then you could get the caster adjustable bottom wishbone bushes.. My real test will be in my times on track and how it feels on the same tracks in similar conditions... But due to this Covid i haven't really had a chance to test this year..

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
If it really bothers you then you could get the caster adjustable bottom wishbone bushes.. My real test will be in my times on track and how it feels on the same tracks in similar conditions... But due to this Covid i haven't really had a chance to test this year..

Not seen these.
I assume you shun them back and forth or is the rear bush eccentric and allows the ball to be moved forward?
I’ll have a butchers. Thanks.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
IIRC.. Theyre from PMS.. theyll be spherical bearings and several shims to fit either side to adjust..

Dude wheres my caster?!

Red arrow shows new location for lower joint, thats what could of happened. Or that Im wrong, or the alignment people didnt configure for caster, or it wasnt taken into consideration in the design.

unnamed.jpg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Dude wheres my caster?!

Red arrow shows new location for lower joint, thats what could of happened. Or that Im wrong, or the alignment people didnt configure for caster, or it wasnt taken into consideration in the design.

View attachment 1467202

Thanks Zach, as I suspected.
But that doesn’t explain the zero change in caster post RCC hubs.
It’s always had less caster than desired.
So whilst your drawing makes sence in theory. It doesn’t appear to be the issue I may be suffering from.

If indeed I have an issue at all 🤷🏽‍♂️

I reckon its the alignment machine then mate. I doubt it would on Eddies take away 1 deg just lowering the joint slightly. Admittedly I always wondered how you measure caster, until recently phil on driftworks did it on his porsche. He turned his wheels lock to lock on the alignment machine which measured the camber change, I think thats how it works.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I reckon its the alignment machine then mate. I doubt it would on Eddies take away 1 deg just lowering the joint slightly. Admittedly I always wondered how you measure caster, until recently phil on driftworks did it on his porsche. He turned his wheels lock to lock on the alignment machine which measured the camber change, I think thats how it works.

Yes it does. Just measures the change in dynamic camber and calculated the static caster.
The plates on the wheels have circles on them and the cameras measure the ovality of the circles as the wheels go through their range of motion.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
But do you know for sure they did that?
I know 100% mine were done correctly and i know 100% i lost 1 degree and i know 100% nothing else was done apart from RC kit..

Well just put it down to renault then. If you both have the same kit then I dont know. 60v54mm hubs, wishobones different or subframes different (theyll all the same but they're not, I dont know what to believe)

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
My car..

AST 5100 90kg springs all round
54mm hubs
Black series bushes
172 cup wishbones
Pms Strengthening plates
Northloopcup RC
Ride height set at 30cm wheel centre to wheel arches front and rear..

2db08559315501b2ab7fb216ff607e7b.jpg

This is why i want to fit the Laguna hubs with adjustable caster so I dont have this problem. I have the hubs.. But getting the asts welded, not keen.

If there is a significant caster change, its just a thought, thats why mine has 4.7, because Im lowered on asts with adjustable top mounts and wishbones increasing camber, there may be an increase with the wishbones.

img_0998-jpg.jpg

Where and how do you measure the H2 H5?

I have no idea, never heard of them.

Its amazing how in 20 minutes you can go from wanting to develop the car further to not wanting anything to do with it. Why is there a lucky dip of alignments on these cars?

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I have no idea, never heard of them.

Its amazing how in 20 minutes you can go from wanting to develop the car further to not wanting anything to do with it. Why is there a lucky dip of alignments on these cars?
FFS.. Wheres my hammer[emoji1787]

The tolerance from factory isn't 2.44 to 4.20, it's just +/-0.3 (+/-30' sorry)

The reason they give a range of castor values is so that the tech can take any customer car, with any amount of fuel in the tank or s**t in the boot and get a castor target for whatever that particular car's ride height happens to be.