ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where do I plumb in amp cable

I am planning to plumb in power for my amp I know that the best way through to the engine bay is through the bonnet cable hole. But where now?

I could connect it straight to the battery, but I dont want the amp to be on all the time......any suggestions

Biggy

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

The big power cable goes straight from the amp to the battery, you should have an amp remote out on your HU, this connects to the remote in ont he amp.

That way the amp only powers up when your HU is on

Ahhh I see, I havent actually got the amp yet so its probrably obvious. Just thought Id do some checking up first.:)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Np mate,

A bit more detail.

When the HU goes on it sends 12v through the remote cable, the amp senses the voltage and activates a relay which pulls the big voltage from the main cable direct from your battery, make sure you are using suitable gauge cable 12AWG or simmilar should be fine.

Also make sure you put an appropriate fuse as close to the battery as possible (on the main power feed)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

oh and remember that your earth lead to the amp should also be 12AWG or whatever gauge you are using .

whats the best place to take the power lead through from the engine bay to the cockpit, is there a grommit that i can squeeze it through??

the fuse should be as close to the batt. i have a dodgy fuse holder (on my new wiring kit), doesnt look to safe from water, is this a prob, if its going to be in the engine bay, or should it be just in the cockpit area??

there is a grommet in the passenger footwell that the bonnet release cable runs through, remove this then drill a hole big enough for you power cable, replace the grommet, feed cables through, job done

sorry am confused, if i remove the gommet wont i just be able to puch the cable through, why do i have to remove the gromet then drill??

Dont suppose anyone has a pic of it being done or even once its finished ???

Cheers guys

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

If you dont replace the grommit you will get a lot of engine noise.. its actually unbelievable just how much noise can come through a tiny hole.

Unfortunaly for the 172 anyway its not as easy as it sounds.. I tried it that way and there seemed to be some kinda box it went into.. or it got stuck somewhere and I couldnt see the cable popping out on the other side..

Typically the front bumper is too low to the ground to get ramps under it. and I lent my trolly jack to my mate at the time so I just left it (for now)

plus power cables and bare metal dont often mix very well

if the cable gets cut in any way through friction, then you could have some nice fireworks on your hands

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

thats what the fuse is there for bud ;) and thats why you put it next to the battery.

If the 12+ 8 Awg cable touches the body of the car through whatever means the fuse will blow pronto.

Not if the Fuse burns out, then it just doesnt work. And if your having one of those days, dont make the same mistake i did by strippin out all the stereo before checkin the fuse. :mad:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Ye the fuse will blow before enough current goes through it to cause damage (provided you have fitted the correct fuse)

most electrical car fires are cause by insufficient guage wire.