ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where does the 182 gain the 10PS over the 172?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
the 182 has a different manifold and inlet set up mate. Also has a different exhaust. AFAIK :)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
172's are really about 160bhp and 182's about 170bhp. It's a bit of a con. The only thing not mentioned is that the 182 cat is only a 200 cell cat which is in reality a sports cat.

Not a 320d
I thought it was Vtec ?

On a serious note, if i remember correctly, theres a different exhaust manifold and exhaust system. Not sure on the Ecu part of it all.

ibiza cupra
slightly longer wheel base on the 182`s as well if i am correct. i know its not a performance difference but it helps in the handling dept.
but from what i hear, you only notice the extra bhp at the top end of the revs where the 182 will pull a little harder than a 172

clio
Originally Posted by ro55o
Yeah, got to be careful though, I nearly blew the welds on the intake with my 100 shot!

probably coz u were granny shifting not double clutching like ya should! :rasp:

Trophy #267
172 had a 4-1 exhaust manifold giving better torque and a crap cat
182 has a 4-2-1 exhaust giving better bhp top end and a much better 200 cell cat and a twin exhaust
182 ecu map was VERY SLIGHTY more aggressive
182 trophy has an RS inlet manifold which was the best of the bunch, odd 182 and 172 also did for no other reason than the standard ones were in short supply (my 172 did )

A ANIMAL
182 has a 4-2-1 exhaust giving better bhp top end and a much better 200 cell cat and a twin exhaust
182 trophy has an RS inlet manifold which was the best of the bunch, odd 182 and 172 also did for no other reason than the standard ones were in short supply (my 172 did )

Thats just not true

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
+1. RS stamped manifold was pure liuck iirc on the 182's. All that you actually need to know, is that if you line them all up, there's f**k all difference in straight line speed.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
ive kept up, beaten and got beat against 182's all be it a car length when i was beaten but still that particular car is quicker than mine

I think its luck of the draw whether you get a good one, or if you can drive for that matter

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
+1. RS stamped manifold was pure liuck iirc on the 182's. All that you actually need to know, is that if you line them all up, there's f**k all difference in straight line speed.

Also not true. My first 172 Cup had one :clown:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Tis strange. My 182 'felt' it didnt go aswell as my original cup....... Even the kevs swear most 182's dont feel to go as well. Not sure if the 182 is more linear in delivery? Still, the 172 manifold is supposed to offer better torque over the 182, maybe this helps the feel of how well it goes?

Thats just not true

There's a lot that is wrong with all the above, for starters you have the manifolds the wrong way round character wise & RS inlets are present on nearly all 182's and some 172's, especially the later models.

ITB'd MK1
Still, the 172 manifold is supposed to offer better torque over the 182, maybe this helps the feel of how well it goes?

other way round really, a 4-1 will be good for top end. 4-2-1 gives more mid range torque. Neither are bad manifolds at all TBH, very hard to pick much between them apart from the 4-2-1 helping to lower EGTs.

182s do feel heavier to drive, it's odd.

Dont think i've seen a 182 without an RS manifold actually, it's pretty much a standard fit on them. Cups it seems optional

Nothing at the mo :(
Maybe its cause the 182 have the nice steering wheel and fancy seats that it feels heavier?

my 182 feels more *solid* then my mates 172