ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where should i put the axle stands ?? Picture inside

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Afternoon,

In the middle of trying to change lambdas. I dont feel compfortable using just the jack, plus the sills are badly bent which is what i have used to jack on at the moment.

Where can i put 2 axle stands to allow me to move the jack out the way to get under?

image.jpeg

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I normally put them where the subframe meets those plates held on by 4 bolts in your pic, never had a problem myself

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Only where it's held against the subframe (where the two bolts are virtually next to each other) or where @jesus has used arrows, basically you need something that's more structural that the sills/floorpan and won't bend with the pressure of the stands

@Austin-182 my axle stands have rubber pads on that the bolt sits on, if you're using that bolt then once you've dropped the car central onto the axle stand give it a bit of a rock side to side for absolute peace of mind that it's going to stay where it should. I'd just use the big beam thing (I've never known what it is) with those stands.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
@jesus @Ads29

Thank you for the advice.

Put 2 new lambdas on. Right hand is cut and bleeding but i have got it done at least, ha.

Not sure if you can help with this one.... The lambdas i have put on were 2nd hand from someone on here breaking a 182.

I started it up and cleared the eml light with my fault code reader.

I then re started the car and it was making an awful thudding sound. Took it for a drive and it was limiting around 3-4k and would let me go faster unless i changed gear. After about 10 minutes drive it seemed to run like normal. I have just parked up on the drive and it now seems to be running normal with no strange sounds and idling at the correct 7500 ish.

Do you think it was just because they were new that it was acting strange at first? Could it be that the exu needed a good 10 minite drive to pick things up or am i talking a load of rubbish in thinking that?

I will take it out again later and see if it is still fine.

Also, any ideas what this is?
image.jpeg

Long thin bar? Should it wobble easily because it does. Feels as though its loose?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Just took it out again for another drive. Idling and running perfect, pulled up on the drive and mpg was reading 42 so feeling very pleased.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Just needed to get hot and let the ecu figure out nothing is wrong anymore.

The car appears to have a missfire but not all the time. When i first drive, it gets stuck at around 3k revs and then all of a sudden kicks in and goes like normal. Then does the same again etc.

However, after a mile or so, it feels like it is running normal. Although i do still feel like its down on power.

Like i mentioned above, the sensors were used and the pre cat appeared to have been fixed at some point as the middle of the wire was electrical taped up.

Do you think that sounds like the sensor and i should just replace with brand new? Or could this have created a different issue causing the missfire?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't recommend the larger arrow area to the right. You'll probably crush the rails, knock the under seal and eventually end up with rust.
Have to massively disagree with this. Been using this point on the car for two years now and it appears to be the strongest part to jack. Sills just bend whereas this is the actual chassis of the car.

I thought mk2 ph2's chassis were zinc galvanised so they won't rust.

Been using the arrow on the right thus far and not dead yet.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I would fit a new one anyway to start with.

Bought 2 brand new today. In for major belt service on Wednesday this week so them with me as dont have the time to fit myself between now and then.

Lesson learnt, not to worry it was good experience anyway.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I use the chassis rails for the front as @dann2707 @Budgie say. Jacking up the rear i drop the car onto axle stands under the rear beam. Never had a problem this way.