ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which air filter is best for performance??

artic blue 182 Cup
I distinguish two tipes: OEM replacement and induction kits... since I haven't moved the battery to the boot or made special holes for cool air required for the induction kits(by now...watch this space:approve: ), and, mainly taking price and those neccesary mentioned mods(battery+fresh air) into account, I'd be more willing to hear from the OEM replacement ones... I already have a Green one...which is nice, but I've seen the ITG(very good looking indeed:cool: ), K&N, Powertec, Pipercross... and wondered if they were better...
Although a VERY effective induction kit would be taken into consideration ;)

Cheers;)

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Best induction kit...maxogen,best panel filter ITG but there isn't much between the K&N filter or green,i seriously doubt if you can tell the difference between any aftermarket panel filter.

artic blue 182 Cup
Neil, it isn't a question of price, I can sell the Green and recover some money from it. What I really care about is performance and sweeter induction sound ;)

cheers lads... so ITG then everybody more or less agreed?:D

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
You are unlikely to get any noticeable improvement in performance with any after market filter, although cotton replacements are easier to maintain, so assume you wont. As for sound, pipercross are the dogs..

BMW E46 330i Touring
as above, there isn't great difference in performance across the range, but the Viper sounds awesome IMO.

Ziel Nurburgring
From my experience, the ITG had no noticable gains in power and very little in the way of noise. People claim they rev freer, but that might just be placebo.

Best way of looking at it is they might be a little better than std, and will last many times more. Basically paying for themselves.

artic blue 182 Cup
blink172 said:
From my experience, the ITG had no noticable gains in power and very little in the way of noise. People claim they rev freer, but that might just be placebo.

Best way of looking at it is they might be a little better than std, and will last many times more. Basically paying for themselves.

Same with the GREEN item, not real power gains, just a bit more of va va voom!:approve:

So, if no real gains on horsepower or barry-sounding filter (lol), will stick with GREEN then

Thx everybody;)

artic blue 182 Cup
furry_cup said:
i noticed an improvment when i took my viper off and left it standard.

surely your viper took hot air from the engine bay instead of the cool air given by both ducts specifically made for this car...

OE works very good indeed, that's why I mainly prefer a simple air filter...;)

L

l2 cup

i've just fitted a k&n 57i induction kit to my 172 cup with one cold air pipe. there is a noticable gain in mid range power and it also revs around 750rpm higher
no need to remove batt and cold air pipe very easy to fit

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
l2 cup said:
i've just fitted a k&n 57i induction kit to my 172 cup with one cold air pipe. there is a noticable gain in mid range power

The gain is in your head mate.

l2 cup said:
it also revs around 750rpm higher

If you say so, you think you have just over ridden the ecu...

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
GavFre said:

:rofl: I was gonna say the same thing. Noticable difference my arse. PLACEBO!!!

artic blue 182 Cup
kullycliosport said:
itg quite good i hear ....?

not agreed m8?:S ... it looks the part... wonder about performance+sound though...

shouldn't be too different from GREENS perf+sound then?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I just fitted a k+n apollo today to my 182 . Sounds really good when you hit 4k revs , only fed the caf down behind the headlight , can't b arsed fcukin around running to the front grill , might do oneday when i have the time and patience .

knapollo3.jpg

R26
I've got an ITG replacement from Brun, mainly so I didn't have to keep buying new ones every service. I did notice a slight difference in how the car drove though, which I was not expecting. Just seemed to be a bit smoother.

J

jamesy

if your going for an induction kit id reccomend a green powerflow but im not sure if they make one for that application?

Clio16v,205Mi16
I've got an ITG from brun, for the reason above, it's doens't need changing all the time, although not had a chance to fit it yet.

R

rich[182]

best in terms of looks is the hillpower ik, the heatshield is stunning imo, good compromise between sound and heat protection, talking to some owners at fcs who had them and they were well impressed

Lionel Richie
i highly rate vipers

also BMC's are bang on considering the price (although they need a hill power bend to fit properly)

VaVa
A well renowned flow technician say's Maxogens are the best........ That'll do for me.... I believe Mark Fish uses ITG too......

L

l2 cup

GavFre said:

i will prove it. name the time and place and iwill be there (if not to far to travel)

cock mobile.
l2 cup said:
i've just fitted a k&n 57i induction kit to my 172 cup with one cold air pipe. there is a noticable gain in mid range power and it also revs around 750rpm higher
no need to remove batt and cold air pipe very easy to fit

How the hell does it rev higher?!?!

Get a closed induction kit like Fred said, or if your looking for a cheaper option get a ITG Panel filter.