ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which amp?

DCI 80
I'm not majorly clued up on the specifications that a sub and amp needs to match.

My subs specs are:

400w RMS
1200w max power
4 ohm

I need either a 1 channel amp, or a bridgable 2 channel.

Thanks in advance :)

2003 1.2 billabong
yeah a one channel mono amp or a 2 channel bridgable amp will be fine, just need to make sure the rms rating is the same or 50watts under

you can always go for more rms on the amp and keep the amp turnt dosn low so you have plenty of power.

whats your budget for an amp ?

A gain is not a volume control! Aim for something around 450w rms as figures are quoted at 14.4v which you wont see.

2003 1.2 billabong
A gain is not a volume control! Aim for something around 450w rms as figures are quoted at 14.4v which you wont see.

i know, i keep telling my brother this, what i ment by keep the amp turnt down low was the sub volume if he has a volume control on the h/u

Looking back at my post i didnt make that very clear lol

clio 1.5 DCI 80
what sub is it? some branded ones will be able to push a lot more than stated, i had 2 sony xplod 10" (rated at 300w rms each) and i was pushing 900w rms through them with no issue

DCI 80
My sub is a FLi Trap Active 12 - 1200w but according to the spec, the sub is only rated at 400w RMS. The internal amp on the Active is only about 250w and you can tell - i've wired up my spare 600w amp but it's dodgy and only works when it wants to.. but when it does work it sounds so much better.

clio 1.5 DCI 80
That sub is capable of taking 1200w but not for a prolonged time. If you go between the two figures you'll find that it will handle it be obviously reduce the life of it. If you stick a 600w rms amp to it it'll we work and reduce life as I just said but you prob not even notice it unles you have it full volume all day every day.

clio 1.5 DCI 80
the other thing to remember is that the FLi range is a budget range and aimed in the marketplace for mainly novices. this in mind they would need to underpower the amp to sub to make sure that when the user sets it up (and lets face it normally a young lad who wont know what he's doing) he cant blow the voice coil inside by sending too many watts through the sub.

Polo + Micra
the other thing to remember is that the FLi range is a budget range and aimed in the marketplace for mainly novices. this in mind they would need to underpower the amp to sub to make sure that when the user sets it up (and lets face it normally a young lad who wont know what he's doing) he cant blow the voice coil inside by sending too many watts through the sub.

a 100w RMS amp clipping its tits off would destroy a 400wRMS sub

if it was me i'd be looking to get a 500wRMS @ 4 ohms amp

ITB BG 182
As previously stated, try and head for an amp that is rated to 500wrms, also make sure its wired up to run as 4ohm as if you wire it to 2ohms your previous 400wrms is now more likely to be the same power or near as 800wrms.

Also try to get the right sized power cable through, the bigger the cable core the less resistance which equals better feed to your amp and thus the sub.

Also avoid car audio centres, they will rob you blind and still call you miss daisey.

Caraudiodirect.co.uk are the ones