ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Clio

V6 everytime if money is no object.

Remember Jeremy Clarkson saying there is definately a place for the Clio v6 in his perfect ten car garage - although that Tiff (what does he know) will disagree.

The williams/182 etc were designed to be hot hatches and arguably (between themselves or other marques) figure on top in a lot of tests. However, the problem with the v6 IMO is that it really wasnt designed to do anything in particular. I mean its not a hot hatch, its not family car, its not a racecar, its not a supercar...its just, well a nicety produced by renault.

Which would i prefer?

Well, williams first...purely on pedegree and status, the 182 a close second and the v6 last...simply because it despite looking fantastic, it serves no real purpose.

The std V6 is 221 ft lbs already, so is that a mistake? would have though for an extra 50bhp torque would have gone up by more?
btw, dont let this lot of V6 hating guys get you down, most are just jealous as hell, as for James, he has a V6 (and a V6 site), if he really thought the Williams was better he would have one, dont you think??????

**AGREED!**

Simon.
Hi mate. I have also noticed that there is definitely an anti-V6 feeling in this forum, which is why I shall only pay the occasional visit. It can only be jealousy as there is no other logical explanation.

The V6 will be a legend in years to come. Yes, the Williams is/will be also, the V6 will simply be a much better one!

As for the torque figure, I quoted the tuner correctly, but on quizzing him today, he has revised the figures a little, but not much. He did one last year for a guy with an early MK2.

Standard.

255bhp and 221 ft lbs

Modified, with a cold-air system, high-flow air filter and a full, high-performance, stainless steel exhaust system, including getting rid of the cat..

295bhp and 265 ft lbs.

It will shift like hell and any Williams will need a serious power hike and an F1 driver to better it, road or track.

Quote: Originally posted by SimonV6 on 30 May 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 30 May 2005

in years to come... the V6 will just be and old cool car

a Williams will still be a CLASSIC

Willaims aint a Classic, its just 1990s fast hatch period, on the other hand with less than 200 v6 255 in the country the V6 will be the classic mate. :)

Simon.
THAT IS VERY TRUE SIMON.

Clio v6

Quote: Hi mate. I have also noticed that there is definitely an anti-V6 feeling in this forum, which is why I shall only pay the occasional visit. It can only be jealousy as there is no other logical explanation.

Yes pure jealousy indeed. I hate all those stuck up V6 owners. :)

Great thread this, hehe.

V6 is OK, but, if *I* had the money.. Id be in a Subaru Garage..

If someone said to me, V6 or Williams, nothing else.. Id say V6, just because its newer and probably quicker. The newer bit is the biggest thing I think.

But hey, for the money, the Williams cant be beaten.. EVER. ;)

[Edited by Daz on 02 June 2005 at 10:57am]

Power isnt everything tho. Carrying speed round corners will win a race.. going quick down a straight wont.

[Edited by Daz on 02 June 2005 at 10:59am]

Another Edit,

Evo put the Williams 6th out of 10 in the best cars of the last decade.. and the Williams was probably the oldest there. Cant be that bad.

Quote: Originally posted by Martin. on 30 May 2005

Sheesh these v6 owners are so up their own arses!

AND WILLIAMS OWNERS ARENT?

Claiming their car is better than 2005 stuff and the best hot hatch ever? Get real matey.

LMAO. :)

Ah well at least I can console myself in the thought I can still hand a v6 its ass on plate in my 12 year old relic!:D

YOU WISH. :)

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Vee Six on 02 June 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Martin. on 30 May 2005

Sheesh these v6 owners are so up their own arses!

AND WILLIAMS OWNERS ARENT?

Claiming their car is better than 2005 stuff and the best hot hatch ever? Get real matey.

A few williams owners are yes but none have shown the sort of arrogance that some of the v6 owners in this thread have IMO of course..

LMAO. :)

Ah well at least I can console myself in the thought I can still hand a v6 its ass on plate in my 12 year old relic!:D

YOU WISH. :)
Well come to York Raceway or Santa Pod and Ill give you a demonstration...hell come to the Ty Croes track day at the end of July and Ill show you corners as well!:D

Why dont you all get your c**cks out, put them on a table and compare the size.

Who cares which is better. If you have a V6 you will love it, if you have a williams you will love that also.

Get over it! :)

Quote: Originally posted by Martin. on 02 June 2005

Well come to York Raceway or Santa Pod and Ill give you a demonstration...hell come to the Ty Croes track day at the end of July and Ill show you corners as well!:D

Santa Pod sounds good this summer.

How much power does your Clio 16V have again; with which to take on a 295 bhp car that does not suffer torque steer?

Dream on. :D

[Edited by Vee Six on 02 June 2005 at 5:19pm]

Quote: Originally posted by Adie on 02 June 2005

Why dont you all get your c**cks out, put them on a table and compare the size.

Who cares which is better. If you have a V6 you will love it, if you have a williams you will love that also.

Get over it! :)

It is not about c*cks.

Some people here are rooted in the past, with the rose-tinted specs. nicely positioned and fail to acknowledge that progress happens.

It is they who need to get over it.

Listen, no doubt someone, somewhere, thinks that the Peugeot 205 GTI (115bhp) is the best hot hatch ever, as it was the best in 1986 or whenever. :confused:

But they would be as misguided as the Williams-brigade, because scores of cars can better the Pug now, some by light years.

Just as I will admit that the 2007 Focus Cosworth will be much better than my Clio V6.

You wont find me desperately claiming that my car is still the best ever. I am realistic.

But what about levels of fun and driving enjoyment, try driving a car that doesntr have a computer trying to take over every 5 minutes, or a car wiht no traction control and no esp.

You may well had a 295 bhp car but that means sh*t if you cant drive it, i will bet you what a good driver in a 100 bhp car will take, or hassle an average driver in your car.

Its about more then just bhp figure...thats going back to teh my c**k my bigger then yours routine on a track suspension set up, and barakes have ALOT more impact than raw power, just a few things to think about guys

Just a thought after reading a few of the other posts, isnt the Megane trohpy £20k, doesnt that make it cheaper then the v6, and its still calssed as a hot hatch, just someting to think about, got a VERY good review in PGTi

Lunner; of course driver skill comes into it, but we are assuming that all things are equal, outside of the car itself !

Otherwise, you may as well say that Schumacher in a Mini is better than me in my Clio V6, which he would be on most tracks. It would not make the Mini better than my car though !

The article I read was innocently asking which hot Renault hatch was the best, from the 3 main types. Williams, 182 and Clio V6.

One of them is easily the best styled, easily has the most road presence, has the best top speed, the best acceleration, the best engine, the best sound (by a long way) and has the best possible engine position.

Clue...it has the most capacity too. ;)

Vee dub

I think its quite safe to conclude that alot of people think the Williams is still the best clio out of the current batch.

So some people disagree?

For me, the Clio Williams will always be the classic clio and my personal favourite.

This thread has got a bit bitchy and lame now in my opinion.

Vee Six - you and a others think the v6 is best - others think the williams

Surely we can agree to disagree?

Tom

[Edited by TomS on 02 June 2005 at 9:20pm]

[Edited by TomS on 02 June 2005 at 9:21pm]

I seem to remember one of the "POLLs" here last year was about which clio did people think was the best, and the V6 255 won by a HUGE amount :)

I rest my case...;):D

Simon.

Vee dub

Doesnt really settle the argument (sorry debate) though

I liked the EVO test where the Williams beat alot of top cars

Like I say, not all of us think the V6 is the best and vice versa

:D

Well Id just like to say that when the Williams came out (and being 40 I remember it well), it was an awesome hot Hatch.....I loved it, then.....;)

But Yes, different people will have different opinions, thats life, however I now prefer the V6 255..... :D

However if some scumbag had not nicked my 200bhp 5GTT I would proberly still have that now (awesome little car), that was better than both.... ;) but NOT in std trim.....lol

http://www.cliosport.net/Polls/weekly_poll.asp?PollID=10&PagePosition=1http://www.cliosport.net/Polls/weekly_poll.asp?PollID=10&PagePosition=1

Simon.

Vee dub

Sounds like a quick 5 that Simon

I just think it says an awful lot about the Williams that it is STILL being compared and viewed alongside the new clio sports and V6s over ten years later!

Absolutely Brilliant

Tom

But the V6 beats it in every measurable way. You cannot get away from that fact.

Hot hatches are about power, in the main.

The V6 has over 100 extra horses. That can never be clawed back by classic-ness.

SEVENTY PERCENT more power.

I bother all sorts of very expensive equipment in my cup, so if you can drive, and do have 300 BHP coming soon, then you will have no bother.

/y0z

Quote: Originally posted by rmccardal on 03 June 2005

Dont like V6s .... slow.
Yeah, really slow.

The previous MK2 this company modified (same mods. I am having) was getting to 60 in 5 seconds and touching 170mph.

Like you say, slow.

;)

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 03 June 2005

I bother all sorts of very expensive equipment in my cup, so if you can drive, and do have 300 BHP coming soon, then you will have no bother.

/y0z
Hoping to have mucho fun mate, cheers !

:D

Vee Six

You can make the V6 a very fast car - no doubt.

To achieve 14.0 1/4 mile I would say is very hard in a V6 that isnt highly tuned or has some very trick launch control.

Around a circuit, The [standard] V6 gets troubled greatly by 172 Cups, as they are so light and chuckable, [where the cups lose out is the straights, where the torque in the Vee runs wild]. You have to be a very good driver to keep up / catch [a 172 cup] around a British circuit.

I think that If you are having this [Vee] modified then it will be a brute of a car in terms of performance, but you will have to be a very good driver to take advantage of the performance.

I havent read this thread through, as it seems as though people are getting a bit personal. The above comments are in my experience, which is quite extensive.

/y0z

[Edited by y0z2a on 6/3/2005 2:38:05 PM]

I will admit that I have not tracked the car, so dont know how it handles on a circuit.

I do know that I have raced cars and motorcycles over many years and will probably be okay.

It will take a pretty good Williams to overcome 295 bhp and 265 torque, the latter figure being very useful when combined with really sticky 245/40 rear tyres.