ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Clio

I saw a feature in a car magazine at the dental surgery today, which was quite interesting.

It was from a year or more back and the article was discussing which Clio the writers would have, from all the various sporty ones produced over the years.

Leaving cost, resale value, etc., to one side, just going on the sheer experience, performance, fun factor and personal preferences you have, which would YOU PREFER, FROM THE FOLLOWING SHORTLIST;

182 CUP

WILLIAMS MK3

V6 MK 2

I own the latter and prefer it by a distance, but which do you feel is the best car ?

Did the Williams not improve, as it got older then? Did the MK3 not move the model forward?

I have never driven a Williams, admittedly.

I only ask because most of the cars I have had improved with age. (Lancer Evolution 8 over 5, Vectra over Cavalier, new Mini over old, etc.)

Quote: Originally posted by Vee Six on 24 May 2005
Did the Williams not improve, as it got older then? Did the MK3 not move the model forward?I have never driven a Williams, admittedly.I only ask because most of the cars I have had improved with age. (Lancer Evolution 8 over 5, Vectra over Cavalier, new Mini over old, etc.)

Nope all Williams were the same. The 1s were all numbered and seen as the best (and more expensive to buy now). The 2s were the same as the 1s realy just not numbered. The 3s got sunroofs and abs which some drivers dont think should have gone in the Wiliiams.

Id personally go for a Williams 1 myself. But the 172/182 is an excellent car its juts somehow not the same experiance and its more err modern I like the old (classic?) Williams look.

Quote: Originally posted by Clarkie172 on 24 May 2005

if u could have any not worried about cost, surely everyone would have a v6?
Well I think it is tons better than any model of now-dated Williams.

(Sure it was good in 1993 or whenever, but time waits for no man...or machine.)

Williams.

Nothing in the price range comes close.. and it still got 6th best drivers car of the last decade.. and, it was released at the start of the decade.. so I guess its just too good. ;)

Yeah, but compared to a MK2 Clio V6, the Mk1 Williams is way down on performance and looks and class.

The V6 is unique. Nothing quite like it.

Loads of modern 4-pot hatchbacks can do what a Williams does.

ST

The 182 as its the best all rounder of the 3 IMO, in terms of price, performance and looks....its around 10k cheaper than the V6, its faster than williams but not far off the pace of the V6, and it looks millions better than the williams all IMHO.

[Edited by 16vClio on 29 May 2005 at 8:53pm]

172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by Vee Six on 24 May 2005
I saw a feature in a car magazine at the dental surgery today, which was quite interesting. It was from a year or more back

When did the 182 Cup come out?

Quote: Originally posted by Vee Six on 25 May 2005

If youve not driven a Williams how can you actually form an opinion?

Having owned a Williams and driven all of the Clio range including both V6s I would say your talking out of your arse.

No offence like.....

Clio v6

I have to vote for the Williams MK 1. One of the nippiest cars I had as a demonstrator, but sadly they were snapped up very quickly back then so I only got to enjoy it for a few weeks :(

Quote: Originally posted by Matt Wills on 29 May 2005

Having owned a Williams and driven all of the Clio range including both V6s I would say your talking out of your arse.

No offence like.....
Nobody is talking out of their arse.

Well, at least, not until you accused me of same that is.......you are in that respect.......

Hold on to the past by all means, but the V6 is way better than a Mark 1 Williams in every measurable way. I left one for dead recently.

If that car is all you need then fine. But some of us demand a little more from our cars.

[Edited by Vee Six on 30 May 2005 at 3:01pm]

Quote: Originally posted by Vee Six on 30 May 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Matt Wills on 29 May 2005

No offence like.....
Nobody is talking out of their arse.

Well, at least, not until you accused me of same that is.......you are in that respect.......

Hold on to the past by all means, but the V6 is way better than a Mark 1 Williams in every measurable way. I left one for dead recently.

If that car is all you need then fine. But some of us demand a little more from our cars.

[Edited by Vee Six on 30 May 2005 at 3:01pm]

We shall agree to disagree but the Williams is the best hot hatch ever and the V6 is a mini supercar so how can you compare them?

£3500 for a good Williams

£10000 ish for a MK1 V6

Fair comparison

I think not......

It may well have been the best hot hatch in 1993, but where many people get carried away is to call it the best hot hatch EVER. That is a sweeping statement of manic proportions.

It is way down on power and torque compared to lots of modern hot hatches, including some that I have owned, for example the 250 bhp, 2003 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA 3.2 V6 I had or the 197 bhp Honda Civic Type R I owned. It would have had a tough time against my Skoda diesel 5-door hatchback, actually. (If that sounds unbelievable, look up the power and torque figures).

Yes the Williams is a classic, yes it was the best of its time, but to call it the best ever is plain silly. The game has moved on, everything from power and torque to wheel and brake and suspension technology has improved.

My MK 2 V6 is way better looking and faster and sounds 100% better.

It is definitely the greatest Clio ever made.

Clio v6

Surely by your own reckoning, the V6 is the best of its time too? Certainly not the greatest Clio ever.

Im sticking with the Williams for greatest ever.

It may well have been the best hot hatch in 1993, but where many people get carried away is to call it the best hot hatch EVER. That is a sweeping statement of manic proportions.

It is way down on power and torque compared to lots of modern hot hatches, including some that I have owned, for example the 250 bhp, 2003 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA 3.2 V6 I had or the 197 bhp Honda Civic Type R I owned. It would have had a tough time against my Skoda diesel 5-door hatchback, actually. (If that sounds unbelievable, look up the power and torque figures).

Yes the Williams is a classic, yes it was the best of its time, but to call it the best ever is plain silly. The game has moved on, everything from power and torque to wheel and brake and suspension technology has improved.

Well I await to you and your car on a trackday when my Clio is finished.

:devilish:

Quote: Originally posted by James on 30 May 2005

Surely by your own reckoning, the V6 is the best of its time too? Certainly not the greatest Clio ever.

James, on the basis that technology brings imrovements in just about everything in life, including cars, yes, the V6 must, logically, be the best Clio ever, because it is the latest and therefore greatest, because time has improved so many aspects of the car.

It is like claiming that the Ford Fiesta XR2 is better than the ST150, simply because it was the best in its time, with its 98bhp and ohv engine in a lightweight body.

Put a 1985 XR2 up against a 2005 ST 150 and the winner would be in another county soon enough.

Quote: Originally posted by Matt Wills on 30 May 2005

Well I await to you and your car on a trackday when my Clio is finished.

:devilish:
Fine by me. July sees the car (as discussed on another thread) get 300 bhp / 230 ft lbs and very sticky tyres.

I will be hassling Porsche 911s, so a Williams wont be much trouble.

James, on the basis that technology brings imrovements in just about everything in life, including cars, yes, the V6 must, logically, be the best Clio ever, because it is the latest and therefore greatest, because time has improved so many aspects of the car.

It is like claiming that the Ford Fiesta XR2 is better than the ST150, simply because it was the best in its time, with its 98bhp and ohv engine in a lightweight body.

Put a 1985 XR2 up against a 2005 ST 150 and the winner would be in another county soon enough.

You dont appear to be comparing like for like though so I cant be bothered to carry on this discussion.

Clio v6

Pointless arguing with you Vee Six. Best ever to date if thats what you want to believe, its a free country. I wonder if the future will bring us the best ever Clio?

:)

Anyway what was I saying? Oh yes, the Williams was "probably" the best Clio is our history so far.

Vee dub

Totally agree with that

We were talking about BEST CLIO. If you want another discussion then fine. Have one.

But this discussion was BEST CLIO. OKAY?

The other example is perfectly valid, ie, BEST FIESTA.

Is it SO hard to fathom matey?

:confused:

Clio v6

We were talking about BEST CLIO. If you want another discussion then fine. Have one.But this discussion was BEST CLIO. OKAY?The other example is perfectly valid, ie, BEST FIESTA.Is it SO hard to fathom matey?:confused:

[PMy MK 2 V6 is way better looking and faster and sounds 100% better.

Can we get back to Best or not?

Pointless arguing with you Vee Six. Best ever to date if thats what you want to believe, its a free country. I wonder if the future will bring us the best ever Clio

The 2006 200 bhp Clio will be better than the 182, yeah.
Why not?

Is that so strange to you?

Go on, tell me, it will be inferior to the 1993 car.

(Whatever you say mate. Tell Renault that next year).

Clio v6

The 2006 Clio will probably turn round in my road in less than 17 moves. Now that is certainly BEST in my book :)

Vee dub

Blimey this whole thread is a matter of opinion

James and Matt i believe, are simply adding theirs.

Not everyone in the club believes the Clio V6 is the BEST clio ever made.

Tom

Some people tell me that the DB5 is the best Aston Martin ever.

Because AT THE TIME, this that and the other, it was AT THE TIME great handling and so on.

I say to that...HORLICKS...

My uncles Vanquish is way better, but you try convincing the old school of the fact.

The DB5 wouldnt stay with my Clio, let alone the Vanquish, FFS.

It is so easy to over-use the rose-tinted specs in life.