ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Clio?

172 Cup
I'm in the market for a Clio 172 but can't decide on what to go for.

My budget is about £2k and I'm after something with good history and belts done etc. I've seen a 172 Cup with extensive history including belts for a little more than my budget by can't decide whether to go for this or just go for a normal 172 rather than the cup.

All the Cups I see are more expensive than the 172 but is the Cup worth the extra money over a normal 172?

People who own normal 172's will say buy a normal 172. People who own Cup's wil say buy a Cup lol.

So therefore I have to say buy a Cup lol.

Ok in all seriousness if you need to decide if you want some toys. Xenons, air con, better interior etc.

Vectra
there's a few threads which tell you about both the normal 172 and the 172 Cup...worth checking out.

i'd go for ph1 172 but change the rear end to the ph2

172 Cup
I've went through a load of threads explaining the differences in the spec but still can't decide.
From a driving point of view, is there much difference?

I've went through a load of threads explaining the differences in the spec but still can't decide.
From a driving point of view, is there much difference?

Unless your a pro racing driver driving around a track I doubt most people would know the difference tbh.

Find a normal 172 you like, drive it and see which you prefer.

Rusty Cup
The plain interior would put me off a Cup!! but that said it would push me to put a nice set of bucket seats in. I couldnt bring myself to do in the 182 as the seats were fine.

If i was looking to buy i'd get a ph1 ideally throttle bodied but never the less ph1.

Disastra Coupe
I made my choice and i'm happy with it. The thing with the Cup (IMO!!) is that it's basically made to be that tiny bit faster. Is that REALLY going to be any use to you on the road? No.

If you're going to be doing track day's, fair enough. I just personally couldn't see the point for me as it's a road car which get's used for going to work and back.

However if you want the best of both worlds (from what i've read, not experience) it seems the Ph1 is the better option.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Only clio i would swap mine for is either a trophy or a rb 182(love the colour lol). Like the cup alot but i couldnt justify selling mine for one. Oh and ph1 is quicker than the cup, a trackday proved that. Can-worms-open= Let the argueing begin. Only joking whichever you get you will love.

172 Cup
Too much choice...I hate making decisions!

I'm gonna get out and take a look at a few I've seen and decide form there. The ones I'm looking at are all ph2's, both 172's and Cups.

I'm not overly concerned about the extras like leather, xenons and aircon so it's pretty much down to which is the best car for the budget.

If you're not fussed on interior and just want the best car for the money, buy it on the basis of the condition/history not on the basis of the model/trim.

1) Is it a daily drive?
2) Is it your only car?
3) Do you plan to keep it for a while?

The reality is it doesn't really matter but the logical conclusion is: Yes to all = standard, with toys. No to all = cup

Last edited:
  172 Cup
If you're not fussed on interior and just want the best car for the money, buy it on the basis of the condition/history not on the basis of the model/trim.

1) Is it a daily drive?
2) Is it your only car?
3) Do you plan to keep it for a while?

The reality is it doesn't really matter but the logical conclusion is: Yes to all = standard, with toys. No to all = cup

It is a yes to all!
I've got my eye on a couple so I'll see where I end up with them. I've had a couple of PM's with some decent sounding cars so I think I need to get out and start looking at them.

Rusty Cup
Cheers, the problem seems to be there being too many good ones to choose from :eek:

You need to look closer!! :) one thing i would definitely check on a test drive is high rev gear changes, a new/good box wont have any trouble changing at high revs (nearly limiter) but a box with dodgy syncro will crunch or worse wont change gear!! 1st and 3rd were bad in my 182 before the box died.

Megane 225 F1
People who own normal 172's will say buy a normal 172. People who own Cup's wil say buy a Cup lol.

So therefore I have to say buy a Cup lol.

Ok in all seriousness if you need to decide if you want some toys. Xenons, air con, better interior etc.

I own a 172 FF (Trollololol) and I say get a cup. Or a ph1.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Picked up my 182 for £1,850 earlier in the month so it can be done if you were interested in one of those :)

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
80kg is a lot of weight to lose off a small car. I think the Cups are noticeably quicker, and you definitely do not have to be a racing driver to see the difference between them.

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
A FF 172.

Obviously people are going to think I'm being biased, but 80kg is like carrying an extra passenger which I do notice in my own car when someone else is with me.

Last edited:

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Are they rubbish all faster!

Gonna turn into a my cups faster than your cup thread yet again!

For the record this 172 I have felt the quickest of all the RS' I test drove and was the best condition by far so I bought it - I'd advise the OP to do the same.

Oh and if you want to turn it into a cup that badly then buy poverty spec seats and take the spare out of the boot - done.

And why if the cup was the featherweight of the line up did they decide to replace the nice light standard spoiler with one that's heavier than my wife!

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
Gonna turn into a my cups faster than your cup thread yet again!

For the record this 172 I have felt the quickest of all the RS' I test drove and was the best condition by far so I bought it - I'd advise the OP to do the same.

Oh and if you want to turn it into a cup that badly then buy poverty spec seats and take the spare out of the boot - done.

And why if the cup was the featherweight of the line up did they decide to replace the nice light standard spoiler with one that's heavier than my wife!

Umm I think you just turned this into a competition thread actually. I'm stating fact, 80kg is a lot of weight. He can do what he will with that info. Where have I said they are all faster? Obviously buy a decent one that isn't down on power.

There's more to a cup than seats and a spare wheel, and you know that I think.

Rusty Cup
I would say the Cup has a greater potential to be the faster option, but we all know how power from car to car can vary enough to negate the Cups weight loss. For me the Cup is in the same league as the Ek9 type r race base thing, its a good start to something convincingly purposeful but in its standard guise it lacks certain areas.

Amongst all the "well technically this model is better for this reason for your need" blah blah it's well worth noting...

They are all excellent. Whichever you buy you'll enjoy.

*Assuming, as with any car, you buy a decent example.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Mine is a phase1 172. Its not a cup. It's got all the usual accessories like 6 CD multichanger ,aircon etc. I've had the car just over 3 years and its used on track as well as long road trips and as a runabout. It drives really well and the performance is brilliant. I've added K-Tec engine mountings, braided brake lines & DOT5 fluid, Ferodo DS2500 pads all round and Brembo high carbon front discs, Toyo R1-R tyres. I've done over 30,000 miles of hard driving and its never missed a beat. It's got 120,000 miles on it now but still feels good to drive. Everything works and the car still looks really good. I've no intention of selling it. I'd recommend a good Phase1 to anyone looking for a good Renaultsport Clio. Mine was £1900 from a trader.