ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

which is best, mk1 or mk2 172

Hi,

Im new to the forum and looking for a clio 172. I Went to see a 2001 mk2 yesterday with 33k and really liked it but someone beat me to it apparently. Anyway, was wondering if you guys have an opinion on which is better, the mk1 or mk2? hopefully wont stir up a nest!

cheers:)

Oh dear.

I have a ph1 172 and Im happy with it, I originally wanted a ph2 Cup but I couldnt afford it at the time but Im more than happy with my ph1.

The term "baws hair" comes to mind.

Although with the ph1, I prefer the looks, the dials, the seats, cable throttle and relative rarity (in comparison to the ph2).

Either way, you wont be disappointed.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

mk2, i dont really like the look of the mk1s, although so people say the mk1s are faster? as for price, the price of clios has dropped dramatically in the last year or so, so i odnt thinck that the cost f purchase shud be something to worry abt. get a mk2 for 7k now! thats so cheap, i paid 4k for my williams 6 months back!

Clio 200

Theres a Mark 2 near me, not a renault dealer but ive bought cars from there before, marked up for £7,999, 172, 30k miles, Silver, looks lovely condition. Somerset if that helps

Mk1s are faster on paper, however in real life they are all very similar. Its all about the driver anyway.

I prefer the seats in the Mk1, along with the RS dials and the air intakes cut into the front bumper. Also the fact that they use a cable throttle.

I was in the same position as you... i could have afforded either a RS-1 or RS-2, but i chose the RS-1 due to the above.

http://www.fubarnet.com/images/gallery1/2.jpg

2nd one down?

3rd one down aint a Cup.

Ring him and ask why so cheap.

[Edited by cli0 172 on 18 August 2005 at 2:20pm]

Clio 172mk2

i have a mk 2 and im well happy with it , when the mk1 came out i luved the looks , but soon as the mk2 came out it just looked a little better to me.

The Tube

Quote: Originally posted by biojo on 18 August 2005

i have a mk 2 and im well happy with it , when the mk1 came out i luved the looks , but soon as the mk2 came out it just looked a little better to me.
Agreed, I loved the mk1, but when I saw the mk2 I thought it looked a lot more aggressive and had to get one!

VaVa

Mk2. I prefer the fly by wire throttle. Its faster responding than the cable throttle. Read http://www.picotech.com/auto/applications/electronic_throttle_control.htmlTHIS.

I prefer the looks, the interior is MILES better, the handling is better and I love Xenons and CC. As loony says, all totally subjective and all my opinion.

But ,as Fubar says, in reality theres nothing between them. Its purely down to taste. The Mk1 is a few tenths quicker to 60 , but theyre the same to a ton down changes in gearing between the two. I didnt notice on the one I drove, but apparently the 5k kick is far more prominent on the mk1.

Whichever you choose, you wont be disapointed.. In either Mk1 or Mk2 form theyre absolutely stonking little motors.:D

Pic of my Mk2 from about 10 minutes ago lol. Cup Splitter kindly removed by a badger last week. lol.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/lagerlout1/DSC00042.jpgPIC 1

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/lagerlout1/DSC00044.jpgPIC 2
Sorry for quality, phone pics on wrong setting. lol.

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 18 August 2005 at 2:24pm]

I prefer the MK1!!! thats what i want next!!

You cant really ask what is best - they are both very equal - i think you need to drive both and choose from there!!

172, Tiguan

lol, its not bad for a phone!

I hated the dash in my MK1, a small point, but it got on my nerves.

thanks for the replys everyone, I think at the moment Im plumbing for the mk2 but just because I prefer the front end and its a bit newer. Whichever one I get, Ill hopefully become a regular soon!

used to be on the fiat coupe forum where a couple of owners have sold their 20vts recently in favour of the clio sports recently including me. Can honestly say there isnt a great deal of difference in terms of straight line speed but the clio would be all over the coop on a twisty road! Very surprised by the level of grip the clio can give :D

Quote: Originally posted by fUbAr on 18 August 2005

Mk1s are faster on paper, however in real life they are all very similar. Its all about the driver anyway.

I prefer the seats in the Mk1, along with the RS dials and the air intakes cut into the front bumper. Also the fact that they use a cable throttle.

I was in the same position as you... i could have afforded either a RS-1 or RS-2, but i chose the RS-1 due to the above.

http://www.fubarnet.com/images/gallery1/2.jpg

Says the man whos got a 15.4 1/4 mile 172, in my experience the mark 2 172 is faster than the mark 1 standard vs standard.

RS-1, Bebop, CTR

are you saying that mk2 could post a better time on a drag strip, despite the fact the mk1 has a better weight/power ratio?:confused:

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 18 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by fUbAr on 18 August 2005

Says the man whos got a 15.4 1/4 mile 172, in my experience the mark 2 172 is faster than the mark 1 standard vs standard.
True, different gear ratios.

RS-1, Bebop, CTR

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 18 August 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 18 August 2005Quote: Originally posted by fUbAr on 18 August 2005 Mk1s are faster on paper, however in real life they are all very similar. Its all about the driver anyway.I prefer the seats in the Mk1, along with the RS dials and the air intakes cut into the front bumper. Also the fact that they use a cable throttle.I was in the same position as you... i could have afforded either a RS-1 or RS-2, but i chose the RS-1 due to the above. Says the man whos got a 15.4 1/4 mile 172, in my experience the mark 2 172 is faster than the mark 1 standard vs standard.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]True, different gear ratios.

i donnt think the gear ratios really matter until the 5th gear, where the mk1 is a bit of a slouch compared to mk2...

otherwise the mk1s 1th gear is a bit shorter, but that would make it slightly faster, lets say at least to a 100 mph, then mk2 would have the edge...

but were talking a few tents of a second here...so pracitcally nothing in everyday drive;)

VaVa

All of the gear ratios are different. Not just 5th. The mk1 is quicker to 60, but posts the same time to the ton as the mk2.

Looking at Fubars 1/4 of 15.477 seconds, if his terminal was say 94 mph, it takes him 6.7 secs to get to 60, but a further 8.75 seconds to get to 94 mph. Which sounds pretty slow to me.

So in theory the mk2 could be quicker in the midrange. In reality, theres f**k all in it.

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 18 August 2005

Says the man whos got a 15.4 1/4 mile 172
no, it was my first and only time on a drag strip.

therefore I havent got a 15.4s 172... i am simply capable of achieving that.

thats the point im trying to make... its the driver not the car. You just made yourself look silly.

Quote: Originally posted by Bandit on 18 August 2005

thanks for the replys everyone, I think at the moment Im plumbing for the mk2 but just because I prefer the front end and its a bit newer. Whichever one I get, Ill hopefully become a regular soon!

used to be on the fiat coupe forum where a couple of owners have sold their 20vts recently in favour of the clio sports recently including me. Can honestly say there isnt a great deal of difference in terms of straight line speed but the clio would be all over the coop on a twisty road! Very surprised by the level of grip the clio can give :D

Hi Bandit,

I use to have a Coupe 20VT (99) in Ink Black with the Abarth body kit. I have to agree with you the Clio will out perform the 20VT on the any twisty road or country drive but, in a striaght line the Clio falls short by a great deal. The 3rd gear is nothing like the ouptut seen from the 20VT. I have a Clio RS 172 MK2 on a 2002 plate with less than 16k, I chopped in my Volvo C70 2.3 T5 GT as I wanted something fun rather than the moterway muncher in the Volvo.

I tend to change cars often due to having a company car as well, I always have something in the garage to put a smile on my face, pound for pound the Clio is better than any other car Ive had; both company and personal, these include:

Fiat 20VT Coupe - Personal

Volvo C70 2.3GT T5 - Personal

Honda Prelude 2.2 VTI Motegi - Personal

BMW 328ci - Company

Audi 180BHP TT - Company

Peugeot 206 GTi - Company

The only thing I wish Id bought instead was a 182 Cup Spec - I dont think its quicker but you have to love those exhausts, silver seat belts and groovy wheels!!

Hurry up and get one - Youll not regret I can assure you. Last thing, if you go for a MK2 try to get Sat/Nav, I didnt know this was available until Idbought mine!! :-(

Im also new on here, like the Coupe forum everyone is happy to help and advise.

Good luck.

Just my opinion but I reckon that the design of the mkII is looking a bit outdated now esp next to 182 and trophy models. The mkII is now looking slightly like a hairdressers car its a bit feminine. When it first came out I loved it but now looking back it looks a bit of a girls car - for me its all about the wheels on it- they looked great back in 2001 but now look a bit crap i reckon compared to the 182 wheels or even the turinis.

The mkII dash/dials/steering wheel and front/headlights are alot better than the mkI but as the mkI is the original, to me it will always feel the best just I prefer a 1987 205 gti to a 1993 one, it just seems more raw.

My fav model is the cup but the only thing which lets it down for me is the colour and the wheels - finally thou I reckon with the trophy they have got it right good colour and wheels shame about the aircon.

Quote: Originally posted by tiff_needle on 20 August 2005

My fav model is the cup but the only thing which lets it down for me is the colour and the wheels - finally thou I reckon with the trophy they have got it right good colour and wheels shame about the aircon.
whats wrong with the aircon?

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Quote: Originally posted by tiff_needle on 20 August 2005

just the weight, for me its unnecessary and instantly makes it feel less raw dnt see the point of it in the trophy
I know what you mean, but these are road cars at the end of the day, and Renualt put aircon in because the customer demands it (why they eventually added it as an option on the cup).

99% of people who but these cars have to use it day to day and dont use them just as track cars, so most people want some basic comforts like aircon.

Nothing to stop owners ripping out the rear seats and the aircon if thats what they want though. :devilish:

renaultsport clio 182

phase1 is the best(the original) phase2 now like xr2,s in the ninety,s there everywere, but having said that phase1 or 2 they are cracking motors.;)

Clio172cup, Capri 3.9 V8

Phase 2 does it for me. looks alot nicer (imo) and reminds me of what a hot hatch should be. like the old mk1 golf gti. but it is a cup. however I do miss aircon.