ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which is the best fuel for 172/182's?

BMW Z4 3.0i
I've been using optimax since I bought my 172 and found it a lot better than 95ron fuel. Since I Optimax changed to V-Power, my car has seemed to have greater torque but has suffered from noticably worse fuel economy.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it all in my imagination?

I'm trying BP ultimate for a couple of tanks worth to see if there's any difference.

Is 99ron just too much for a 172 (though Renault recommend 98)? I want the better economy over the slightly better torque.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Higher the RON the better.

Wrong.

You need as high a RON as is necessary to prevent detonation in that engine. Any higher RON than that produces no more power in that engine but costs you money and costs the planet in extra petroleum required to produce that amount of fuel.

The documentation that came with my 172 clearly said 95 octane, not 98 octane. Use lower than that and it backs off the ignition advance so it can run it without detonation, and it produces less power. Use higher than that and you don't get any more power.

I've run fuel down to 91 octane in my 172. I had no choice. Lots of ther service stations in outback Australia don't carry 95 octane. I've run up to 100 octane. I've run 10% ethanol. Yes, there's a difference between different octane fuels, but its not one you'd notice unless you knew. And it certainly doesn't run badly, it just produces a bit less torque and power. If the symptoms are any worse than that the problem isn't that the fuel is lower octane, its that its a bad tank of fuel, either from a bad batch or a contaminated service station tank or its stale fuel.

You can get more power with higher RON by only by increasing the compression ratio and/or changing the timing map in the ECU.

Last edited:
  Der Panzer
Not wrong, an opinion.

Higher RON = cleaner burning.

No point in being a skinflint if you're running a 172/182.

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
I have always used optimax once it changed to V power i use this, also because of the detergents and lube they use in it, both my old 172 and current 182 state on the inside of the fuel flap 98 ron

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
Higher the RON the better.

Wrong.

You need as high a RON as is necessary to prevent detonation in that engine. Any higher RON than that produces no more power in that engine but costs you money and costs the planet in extra petroleum required to produce that amount of fuel.

The documentation that came with my 172 clearly said 95 octane, not 98 octane. Use lower than that and it backs off the ignition advance so it can run it without detonation, and it produces less power. Use higher than that and you don't get any more power.

I've run fuel down to 91 octane in my 172. I had no choice. Lots of ther service stations in outback Australia don't carry 95 octane. I've run up to 100 octane. I've run 10% ethanol. Yes, there's a difference between different octane fuels, but its not one you'd notice unless you knew. And it certainly doesn't run badly, it just produces a bit less torque and power. If the symptoms are any worse than that the problem isn't that the fuel is lower octane, its that its a bad tank of fuel, either from a bad batch or a contaminated service station tank or its stale fuel.

You can get more power with higher RON by only by increasing the compression ratio and/or changing the timing map in the ECU.

Gordon notice your from aus. does your fuel flap say 98 ron on the inside big green sticker, if not maybe aussie ecu 's are slightly different to uk spec, just wondering mate. :S

Clio 200 Raider
I've been using optimax since I bought my 172 and found it a lot better than 95ron fuel. Since I Optimax changed to V-Power, my car has seemed to have greater torque but has suffered from noticably worse fuel economy.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it all in my imagination?

I'm trying BP ultimate for a couple of tanks worth to see if there's any difference.

Is 99ron just too much for a 172 (though Renault recommend 98)? I want the better economy over the slightly better torque.

same as me mate use to use optimax all the time, felt good and good economy, but since they changed to v-power it seems rubbish no way near as many miles. i now always use bp ultimate as i find the economy so much better and the acceleration slighlty more pokier.

i guess its because bp is 98 ron? and v power is now 99?

2014 Focus Titanium
Bp ultimae is 97 ron, however its meant to be very cleaned and have loadsa good stuff in it so "they" say its as good as any other 98 ron

M2 Competition
I use bp ultimate, and probably a tank of v-power every 5th tank. Have tried all sorts of fuel, and it does make a difference.

The manual for a 172 says use 95? since when?

The fuel filler cap says use super.

BMW Z4 3.0i
We know UK 172's are supposed to be run using 98ron fuel. It says it on the petrol filler door, in the manual and I even e-mailed Renault to ask if it was okay to use 95ron and they said it would run on 95ron but recommended I carried on using 98ron.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Don't give a stuff what it says on the cap, if I'm clever about where I fill up I can fill up with Optislurp/V-Expense for the same money as I would fill up with normal.

LY 200
I personally think mine runs alot better on V-Power, it ticks over alot nicer and the engine seems to be alot quieter. I also get more mpg on it so not sure why yours is down.

The last few fill ups has been with BP ultimate as my local Shell garage is a million miles away and i havnt been bothered for the trek over there but i cna certainly notice the difference in engine noise.

With that said it would alwats be either Shells good stuff or BP.

Clio 172 mk2
I always use SU (97 ron fuel)

Waste of money using V Power in the Renaults NA engine....that stuff is more suited for Jap imports and the like that are mapped to run on 100ron fuel.

LY V6 with Recaros
My car has always been run on Optimax/v-Power. I tried using Tescos 99 ages ago, it seemed to feel a bit faster to begin with, then felt a bit rough to me.

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
I always use the cheapest unleaded, but after reading what the other guy said " no point being a cheap skate when your running a 172 / 182 " im gonna try v power for once as i also read that someone said it idles better for them. my car shakes a lil when idle =(

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I've been using shell since i had my car from new over 3 years now optimax then v power since it came it out really good stuff

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI
I always use S/u from Sainsburys, got to save some pennys from somewhere for the amount of tyres that keep leaving me on M/Ways!

Clio 172 mk2
I always use the cheapest unleaded, but after reading what the other guy said " no point being a cheap skate when your running a 172 / 182 " im gonna try v power for once as i also read that someone said it idles better for them. my car shakes a lil when idle =(

The 172/182 isn't a highly stressed turbo car with det issues though.

Each to their own though but after running a Jap import and being paranoid about these issues running a UK spec car is great as it means I can put in 97ron fuel without worrying.

I did notice a slight improvement in mpg with V-power but I still wouldn't pay the extra to run my 172 on it all the time.

Ph1 172
Normally bp ultimate or v-power if near a shellgarage don't know whether it makes a difference or not because i have never put anything else in!!!

Black Gold 182
mine runs better on Shell..but tend to normally buy BP Ultimate due to shell garage being out of the way from me :(

172 Cup
bp ultimate whenever i can.

tried 3 tanks of V-power now, seems to run smoother and maybe slightly more responsive, but can't be 100% sure if it's not my imagination, but my mpg drops by 3 miles to gallon on v-power everytime i fill up on it, so going back to bp me thinks

182 CLIO SPORT
Theres no V power near me but when i can i do use it!! the car does run better on it but for now i'll just have to stick with bp ultimate 97 ron. :)

Last edited:
  Clio 200 Raider
if renault recommend 98 ron where actually sells that?

all the garages seem to be 97 or 99 dont they?

i know optimax used to be 98 thats when i used to buy it

Bp all the way now though

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Always run my 172 on super unleaded. Optimax/V-power.:cool:

Shell garage is about 13miles away from me, but i do take the time out to have a blast and fill up with v-power.:race:

Last week I thought I'd try the 95ron Shell to see if there really is any difference. (My car has been re-mapped and has an ITG filter and Stainless cat back)
I didnt notice much difference for the first 50 odd miles [last of the 99ron] but once it was well into the 95ron it was noticeable.

Noticeable loss of acceleration, at high revs the car didnt have as much urgency, engine note sounded flat and it was lumpy on idle.

This is not my imagination......I wont be putting normal fuel in again.

V-Power all the way from now on. That said i wouldnt mind trying BP Ultimate?

Clio 200 Raider
Always run my 172 on super unleaded. Optimax/V-power.:cool:

Shell garage is about 13miles away from me, but i do take the time out to have a blast and fill up with v-power.:race:

Last week I thought I'd try the 95ron Shell to see if there really is any difference. (My car has been re-mapped and has an ITG filter and Stainless cat back)
I didnt notice much difference for the first 50 odd miles [last of the 99ron] but once it was well into the 95ron it was noticeable.

Noticeable loss of acceleration, at high revs the car didnt have as much urgency, engine note sounded flat and it was lumpy on idle.

This is not my imagination......I wont be putting normal fuel in again.

V-Power all the way from now on. That said i wouldnt mind trying BP Ultimate?

yer u do defo notice a diff, ok ur car aint guna turn into a ferrari but u do notice accelaration the car idling better and also mpg is improved.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
yer u do defo notice a diff, ok ur car aint guna turn into a ferrari but u do notice accelaration the car idling better and also mpg is improved.

I always get 40mpg+.......long journeys to work 50-60mph constant and car is always at optimum temp.

Cant wait til this tank of gash has gone.:dapprove: