ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which model Clio do you prefer and why?

53 Clio's & counting
The grandad or the latest incarnation?

2012-04-30180831.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Re: Which model Clio do you prefere and why?

My heart says mk1, my head is telling me mk3.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member

MK3 looks much more like a performance car in that picture.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

Mk1, just look at those arches, looks soo much better. Mk3s do nothing for me.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0

Mk1. Id have one, but the rust on them really is a problem. If there was a brand new mk1 and a brand new mk3, id choose the mk1. The Mk3 looks better, but the mk1 is more raw and fun imo

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy

Mk3, definitely. Mk1 looks so very old now

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy

Mk1 for me. Love old skool hot hatches. Wide arches and bonnet bulge and my first real performance car I managed to get insured on! (well a 16v not a Williams). Why I still have a soft spot for Novas.

200's are nice but those wheels are plop.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

ive never had the pleasure/missfortune to drive a mk1, but ive spent the last 6 years in a mixture of mk2 and mk3's and got to say the mk2's were great in there day but the mk3 is in a different league.

200 feels like a proper performance car, 172's feel these days like something you done an engine conversion on, a giggle but always something making a knock or bump!! No doubt that will be what 200's are like in a few years! (lol look at mine after 5 months!!)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

If both of them were brand new I'd probably choose the williams, if it were as those two are now, one brand new, the other a bit tired, I'd be going straight for the 200

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172

Williams every time!! true raw hot hatch and a million times better looking!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

If you drive a car because you want a car you own to have soul/character the Mk1 all day.

A 200 just lacks the old school hot-hatch 'flame' as it were, as good and capable as they are.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

I've never driven a Mk1 so cant really comment, but i was fairly disappointed with the 197/200, as im sure most people guessed.

3 weeks lol.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

If you drive a car because you want a car you own to have soul/character the Mk1 all day.

A 200 just lacks the old school hot-hatch 'flame' as it were, as good and capable as they are.

who needs hot hatch flame when its arse trys to overtake you under braking at 140 approaching a bend!!!

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member

I like different models for different reasons.

The first Clio I ever drove was a 1.8rsi,
compared to what I was use to driving at the time it was like being shot out of a cannon,
I also prefer the shape/styling of the Valver/Williams.

A few years later a mate got a 182cup, which was probably quicker than the Valver but felt sort of the same,
but it did feel less like a shed and made me want a 1*2, so I went out and got my 172 which I love, despite it's erm.....quirks. :S

The same mate then traded the 182 for a 197 which felt slow and unresponsive,
I really wasn't keen on it, although the interior was a hell of a lot nicer to be in
with Recaros, better fit & finish and a nicer dash.

I haven't driven a 200 yet so can't comment on it.

But in an ideal world i'd have a Williams body with a 1*2/200 engine and a 197/200 interior,
but seeing as that doesn't exist and never will, i'll have to stick with the 172. (Thanks poverty)

But at the back of my mind, I kind of want a 200. :eek:

So no real conclusions from me, just a few observations.

Last edited:
  R26/200 Raider

MK3 for me on looks alone. Drove 2 Mk1s a 172 on many occasions and owned a 197. Anybody who owned a MK 1, did you encounter any clutch problems? Its just out of curiosity.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member

MK3 for me on looks alone. Drove 2 Mk1s a 172 on many occasions and owned a 197. Anybody who owned a MK 1, did you encounter any clutch problems? Its just out of curiosity.

I experienced problems pressing the damn thing, it was like kicking a lead brick!!!
Wasn't mine though so I didn't care.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa

MK1 all the way. yes i might be 17 and never seen the MK1 valver/williams era but i love how the look.

if i had the money, id be buying one and fully restoring it to as much as ' out of the factory ' they can get

R26/200 Raider

I experienced problems pressing the damn thing, it was like kicking a lead brick!!!
Wasn't mine though so I didn't care.

Not just me then. The clutch was awful. My mate had 2 which i drove quite frequently. After driving both, i would go home on the night with an aching ankle. Both cars needed new clutch cables at very low mileages.

53 Clio's & counting

Clutch on Duf is heavy - but then it's uprated. My last Mk1 had a new clutch and cable in and the pedal was pretty light, as most they get stiffer and worse feeling with age

F56 MINI Cooper S

200 looks millions times better. Old ones are abit cack to be fair.

53 Clio's & counting

Quite interesting to see the variations in opinion, most based on looks I see

Evo 5 RS

I bet you half the people who are saying Mk3 / 200 were hardly born when the mk1s were in their prime lol. Chris aside as he's still loved up ;)

I couldn't choose, I'd love a mk3 for the extras, the trouble free motoring and the uncompromisable grip. But you can't get a rawer factory hot hatch than a mk1. They seem to be getting fatter as they get older.

So I guess I'd go half way and get the best of both worlds which is obviously a Mk2 Ph1

troll

AB182, Audi A5 3.0

Old ones are abit cack to be fair.

what?! :eek: have you actually driven one? they are f**king awsome to drive!!! And they dont look that bad/old, look at the willi in the cliosport calender then turn the page to the 200, the willi looks better imo!!

A ANIMAL

Mk2 for me, proportions are just right IMO in the looks and really were the last of a dying breed

RS Clio 182

182....but i really like the look of a lowered black 197.

Edit : ooh i have 197 posts! :D

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS

In what way is that spot on though? Just because it's not 1990 anymore...So if you prefer mk1 drive you instantly shouldn't consider one because cars are different now.

For the record I'm not saying a Williams is a better car nor any mk2.

Just seems a bit... daft

AB182, Audi A5 3.0

have to agree with that; with that sort of thinking, there would be no classic cars on the road at all!

Listerine & Poledo

Cars from the 90's were far more diverse in their styling than those today.

I know, I know, saferty standards, cD's etc.