ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which turbo to pick

182 Turbo
Yeah was a joy to drive with that turbo to be honest never drove anything quite like it. It’s nothing like a n/a Clio 172/182 at all. Even the sound from it it’s not screaming at 7k. Very smooth power delivery but at the same time you can tell that it’s shifting.

Can’t wait to get this new turbo on then get it down to Chris for mapping.

Long term plans will be forged engine oil cooler full suspension set up. And try to make it lighter than it is lol. 300 is the aim tbh but with 252 it’s one hell of a car and it not much can touch it.
Infact since I have owned the car nothing has came close.

Was planning on a smaller turbo but because of Xmas and having three kids my budget was very tight so wen i seen this turbo for £135 I jumped on it to get what I think is a fair deal. But hopefully next year more plans and some track days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only trouble is you'll probably need to ditch the efi module and buy a full standalone ecu that can control boost to achieve the 300 bhp mark? or would you go about it by changing the actuator spring? on a garrett unit its probably alot easier that way tbh, on the chinese turbo's half of them you cant even open up the actuator to change the spring , and i cant seem to find an aftermarket actuator that would definately fit , im having the same dilemmas on upping the boost on my current setup, trying to weigh up if its worth forking out for the aem fic 8 with boost control or just go for a slightly larger turbo like the one you used there to achieve around 250ish bhp, you definately haven't sacrificed any lag on that setup from the smaller turbo

Clio 172 ph2
The only trouble is you'll probably need to ditch the efi module and buy a full standalone ecu that can control boost to achieve the 300 bhp mark? or would you go about it by changing the actuator spring? on a garrett unit its probably alot easier that way tbh, on the chinese turbo's half of them you cant even open up the actuator to change the spring , and i cant seem to find an aftermarket actuator that would definately fit , im having the same dilemmas on upping the boost on my current setup, trying to weigh up if its worth forking out for the aem fic 8 with boost control or just go for a slightly larger turbo like the one you used there to achieve around 250ish bhp, you definately haven't sacrificed any lag on that setup from the smaller turbo

Yeah agree with what your saying if I had the funds then I would go all out and buy most of the things I want for the car but just at this moment in time I don’t lol.

But yes in the long term I will be making the car the best all round handling,performance, and just in general an all round capable car.

But main thing just now is getting the car running fine with the new turbo then take it from there.

dan's cast offs.
trying to weigh up if its worth forking out for the aem fic 8 with boost control or just go for a slightly larger turbo like the one you used there to achieve around 250ish bhp, you definately haven't sacrificed any lag on that setup from the smaller turbo

To be fair, I've said to Gary as well, that turbo is too big, doesn't spool anywhere near early enough and oversized for the power it's making.

This is with a genuine 2560 on efi module.

20180715_151151.jpg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Also that T28 you bought is a smaller turbo than the one on there, but they usually get on song around 3000rpm so a good several hundred rpm sooner than the old one.

half of them you cant even open up the actuator to change the spring , and i cant seem to find an aftermarket actuator that would definately fit , im having the same dilemmas on upping the boost on my current setup

Fit a manual boost controller then?

182 Turbo
Also that T28 you bought is a smaller turbo than the one on there, but they usually get on song around 3000rpm so a good several hundred rpm sooner than the old one.

Fit a manual boost controller then?

like i said you need a piggyback or standalone ecu that has the availability for a boost solenoid so the ecu can actually recognise you are bleeding off air to make more boost , with the aem fic 6 it only recognises the wastegate pressure, the higher boost kits at ED come with the aem fic 8 piggyback and boost solenoid, so that as you say, can just add a manual boost controller

edit: the solenoid acts as a boost controller rather, you wouldnt be able to add a cheap manual boost controller, youd need an electronic boost controller that can control boost by rpm and they are in the realm of £300+ anyways

Last edited:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea but by the time you've forked out for one of those you're a good way onto a proper solution anyway, ME221 is about a grand, or could go megasquirt?

Clio 172 ph2
Yea but by the time you've forked out for one of those you're a good way onto a proper solution anyway, ME221 is about a grand, or could go megasquirt?

Wait a min am getting confused are yous saying I need a boost controller to run the new turbo that I got?? Because the plan I had was to fit the turbo send it down to Chris and get it mapped then back home. Or do you mean if I want to achieve more power ie 300bhp?

Clio 172 ph2
don't worry, it's just people,trying to spend your money for you [emoji6] will be fine on wastegate controlled boost.

Thanks Carl lol. A sent you a text mate have a look wen u have a min

182 Turbo
Wait a min am getting confused are yous saying I need a boost controller to run the new turbo that I got?? Because the plan I had was to fit the turbo send it down to Chris and get it mapped then back home. Or do you mean if I want to achieve more power ie 300bhp?

You wont need a boost controller to run your new turbo, the efi boost control module can only run a turbo that has a wastegate pressure of up to 12 psi, for your end goal of 300bhp you are going to need more than 12 psi , and therefore need a manual boost controller to up the boost past 12 psi, so you'll need a piggyback or standalone ecu that has full boost control, nobody is trying to spend your money for you thats a strange conclusion.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
You don't need
You wont need a boost controller to run your new turbo, the efi boost control module can only run a turbo that has a wastegate pressure of up to 12 psi, for your end goal of 300bhp you are going to need more than 12 psi , and therefore need a manual boost controller to up the boost past 12 psi, so you'll need a piggyback or standalone ecu that has full boost control, nobody is trying to spend your money for you thats a strange conclusion.

You don't need an ecu with boost control at all?

You need an ecu/setup which is able to accurately measure boost pressure and control the fuel/ignition timing based upon that boost pressure. Boost control can be done by the ecu or externally.

I prefer to map with the ecu controlling boost as it makes the process faster, however for end use an external electronic boost controller will achieve the same thing.

I'd personally go with a megasquirt piggyback as they are so easy and cheap, failing that something like the ME or better. But you will need nothing to run your new turbo other than a MAP.

182 Turbo
You don't need

You need an ecu/setup which is able to accurately measure boost pressure and control the fuel/ignition timing based upon that boost pressure. Boost control can be done by the ecu or externally.

I prefer to map with the ecu controlling boost as it makes the process faster, however for end use an external electronic boost controller will achieve the same thing.

I'd personally go with a megasquirt piggyback as they are so easy and cheap, failing that something like the ME or better. But you will need nothing to run your new turbo other than a MAP.

Indeed, as i said you could do it with an electronic boost controller that could control boost by rpm, you couldnt use a cheap mechanical boost controller without an ecu capable of boost control though. And i am yet to find an electronic boost controller for under £300 they are bloody expensive

edit: sorry i meant an ecu that is able to correctly measure what boost is happening when and control fi timing like you said

182 Turbo
You don't need

How would you personally go about wanting to up the boost from 7 psi to 10psi with an aem f/ic 6 , electronic boost controller or just aftermarket wastegate actuator with a 10 psi spring and map? or just whole new piggyback / full ecu together that supports boost control?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
It honestly depends on the build. I've had people that were over the moon with a manual boost valve for £18, happier in fact than many people who have spend hours trying to set up an ebc.

For such low boost, and if you are on a budget I would use a 7psi (or there abouts) spring and a manual (but good) valve. The rough rule of thumb is that your spring should be more than half of your target boost pressure. So don't use a 7psi spring when your looking for 20+psi of boost.

If your on less of a budget:

I quite like the electronic boost controllers from turbo smart and AEM, I've had a few problems with some of the older and cheaper Gizzmo units however I've been told they are much improved of late.

Nothing beats ECU controlled boost though, so if your ecu supports closed loop boost with various corrections for throttle and speed etc then I would 100% use it over an external controller.

For example it often gives you access to features like boost by gear, boost by TPS angle etc which can make cruising with a small turbo simpler while alleviating traction issues. If your ecu does not support it (never used an AEM ecu), but your car is performing well I would NOT be upgrading to a different ecu just for boost control.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Remember also that the fewer the changes while on the dyno, the better or cheaper the tune will be.

Changing springs on a car with a red hot turbo is a chore, as is constantly hopping out to tweak a manual valve. I would say that a good EBC saves the tuner 20mins or more over a 2 hour session which in turn allows the tuner to spend the extra time tweaking things which often get overlooked due to a lack of time such as transient fueling and cruise.