ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whine when cold

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
My 172 since ive had it basicly whines when the engine is cold, it goes away in like 2 minutes after driving, possible causes and/or fixes?

rps13
yepo, mine did.

had a new aux belt and the alternator checked and turned out i was missing bolts from alternator.

some of the aux belt pulleys might need checking. Mark fish ftw.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
yepo, mine did.

had a new aux belt and the alternator checked and turned out i was missing bolts from alternator.

some of the aux belt pulleys might need checking. Mark fish ftw.

Not really what I wanted to hear :(

Bumder With A Buffer
Mine does it too...nothing has ever broken and it goes away after a minute or so.

:)

Its french its bound to have random noises and squeaks :)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Strange that it goes away after a few minutes I thought.. :/ If it was a cambelt idler pully surely it would be constant?

RS RIP
^^ think it's indeed PAS pump or something.. When warms up the noise dies out. Mine had full cam/aux belt service and noise is still there ! So my guess is PAS pump too

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Suppose that makes sense as my PAS has given me abit of trouble in the past, have to look into a replacement. What sort of cost are we looking at? What belt wraps around this, cambelt I take it? :(

RS RIP
Suppose that makes sense as my PAS has given me abit of trouble in the past, have to look into a replacement. What sort of cost are we looking at? What belt wraps around this, cambelt I take it? :(

No, i think the aux belt is to drive all auxhilary pumps etc.

Cambelt only for timing/cams

not sure about costs. pm Mike@Rentech or Fred

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Im clearly stupid thinking it was the cam belt lol :D Thanks fellow Fastchip follower ;)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Also to note the whine changes tone the higher the revs go when the car is sat on idle, does this help in the diagnosis at all?

yap

51 Clio 172
My does it too. someone must be able to put a finger on it. After a min it goes?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Woah, thread back from the grave!

Mine did worry me as I thought it might have been my idler pulley about to go, its damn loud on cold mornings!

Bumder With A Buffer
Woah, thread back from the grave!

Mine did worry me as I thought it might have been my idler pulley about to go, its damn loud on cold mornings!

I wouldnt worry too much Dan...Mine is like that too! Someone at work commented on it recently and I said its always done that and stops after a while...after 2 mins or so it had indeed gone and he was like... "oh thats weird"!