ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whining from engine bay when Air Con On

DrewBear11

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST
Hey guys..

last couple of days I've noticed that i can hear a whining coming from the engine bay and can hear the sound through the blower vents when I've got the air conditioning running... Air con pump ??

For example, it was raining when I got in the car after work and the car steamed up so I turned on the air con and could hear the whining, when I turned off the air con off (normal blowers running) the noise stopped.

The air con seems to work as the car de steamed pretty fast so I don't think it needs re-gassing.. haven't tested the coldness but seeing as it de steamed the car fast I cant see that being a problem...

I did search but I couldn't find any answers..

Any advice much appreciated :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's unlikely to be pressure related as the system self monitors this and if it's so low as to cause the pump to function incorrectly it simply won't allow its operation. I'd say you're on the money with the pump as the most likely cause of the whine if its only there when the magnetic clutch is engaged.

Golf GTD Mk7
Bearing maybe. It's not needing regassing, if it does, you'll heard a hissing noise when you put it on (plus lovely warm uk air :))

DrewBear11

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST
Ah right, lovely job cheers for the replies fellas.

Just gonna see how it goes for now i think.... not overly worried tbh

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Obviously its not a complete doom and gloom situation but I wouldn't be quite so trusting as the noise is there because something isn't 100% right. If that A/C Compressor goes due to some unforseen 'issue' chances are the aux belt goes with it... which can (and does) slip the crank sprocket buggering up the timing.