ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whining like a super charger!

LY 182
Sounds cool!

But can't help but worry, ever since I got my new exhaust (may not be related) but my car whines like it has a super charger when deccelerating.

Anyone come across this?

clio rsi
Sounds like the baffles may have collapsed in your back box, all though should not have happened if it was a new exhaust happened on my old clio but back box was quite old

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Mine does this, i thought it was my alternator but turns out its my power steering pump, it doesnt bother me to much really il just leave it till it goes :)

LY 182
It seemed like two seperate problems the first was a loud screech and loss of power to steering then everything was fine. Now (soon after) I'm getting a whine from decceleration. Two totally different noises, first one, one off screech and now a continous whine on decceleration. Appreciate the help! ;)

Silver 172
gearbox oil level, on one of my old cars there was no box oil in it and it whined exactally like a supercharger

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
you need the car jacked up remove the gearbox oil plug if oil trickles out of it then theres plenty in but if non comes out top it up. Good Luck :D

Ph1
Sounds to me like he wants to be looking down the left hand side of the engine not the right !?!? aka pulley area / component(s)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
yeah thats what i thought it would be, but some1 above said gearbox and he wanted to check the oil, (BTW the car needs to be level)

but id start the car up stick ur head in engine compartment and listen for the noise

rps13
as it's an RS clio I would assume it's alternator/ Aux belt pulled/ PAS pump related. I had this and changed everything on that side of the engine and it went away.

RS RIP
^^ yep, i also think we might be talking alternator. Mine does exactly the same . Also a very short slip of the auxbelt when cold startup, and i have retightened the belt 2 months ago so my guess is that the alternator is pulling a "bit heavy" , might be on its way out.

makes a genuine SC whine ;)

clio 182 +206 2.0hdi+avan
mine does this when steering right or left, i got told its the pas pump. if your steering is heavey aswell as the noise then you need a new pump.

your pump could be whineing if theres no pas oil in there too, check this first.

Ph1 172.
I have a noise like this, the harder i rev the louder it gets. Press the clutch and it disappears. Happens through all gears, and revs. Any ideas?

Sounds like the baffles may have collapsed in your back box, all though should not have happened if it was a new exhaust happened on my old clio but back box was quite old

Interesting suggestion!?

As said if it whines under steering load - corners etc will be PAS, otherwise alternator.

Cooksport Fleet
Maybe it just grew a Supercharger.

Does it feel much quicker?

Mine used to wine on slowing down, when my gearbox oil was low. Deffinatly check that...but dont jack ur car up, becuase then the level wont be correct. There is a plastic thumb bung (i wish i knew the name of it) on the gearbox, make a funnel of some discription, and top it up untill it dribbles out the hole u are filling . (Change all the oil if i was u tho)

Sorry about the state of spelling etc. It is late lol.