ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whining noise under acceleration

clio 172
Hi guys,

Needed a second opinion from the guys in the know as I am not great with engines.

A couple months ago I went through a flood which didn't appear at the time to cause an issue. I left the car parked up for 2 hours then came back to drive it home...but there is now a whining under acceleration.

The dash shows no warning lights and the car performs perfectly, however I was worried so took it into a local mechanic I use. He said there was no errors under diagnostic and his guess would be the flood water has washed the grease off the tensioners and pullys. This is obviously going to cost me big time if this is true as its belts off and was only recently cam belt changed.

Any thoughts or peeps in the Bristol / Bath area who maybe able to offer assistance?

:dapprove:

S4 Avant
The dash shows no warning lights and the car performs perfectly, however I was worried so took it into a local mechanic I use. He said there was no errors under diagnostic and his guess would be the flood water has washed the grease off the tensioners and pullys. This is obviously going to cost me big time if this is true as its belts off and was only recently cam belt changed.

In all seriousness, I doubt it will be this.

First off would be to see whether the whine is related to engine speed or the drivetrain speed. Does the whine occur when the engine is revved, or when the wheels are turning.

clio 172
The noise is only present under higher revs. So if im idle and I rev the car hard I hear it. If im low revs its not there. When I put my foot down past 4000 revs the noise is very obvious. If I take my foot off the peddle and let the revs drop the noise becomes less obvious. I think its got to be belts.

04 Clio 172, Meg 250
I'd say belts or anything driven of them. Mines was doing the same thing. Got both the belts and all the pulleys changed and its a lot quieter since. How long ago were they last changed anyway? Might be a sign there starting to wear out.

clio 172
They were done at 70k and the service book and bonnet stamp confirms it. Car has been fine up till the flood incident. The car is on 82k now so shouldnt be going already. How much was your bill if you dont mind me asking?

04 Clio 172, Meg 250
Was about £470 from swr. Resealed the rocker cover while the belt was off aswell. Tbh I'd say its more likely to be something to do with the aux belt. It's more exposed than the cam belt. Also I think one of the pulleys on it sits quite low behind the wheel arch liner so there's a chance waters got in and like you said took grease of something it shouldn't of done.

If it were something to do with the aux belt it won't cost as much as its a bit easier to change.

S4 Avant
With respect, it's all well and good saying it "could be this" and "could be that" but no one will know without seeing the car.

You're best off getting it to some one who knows, not the mechanic who told you flood water has stripped the grease off the pulleys. They're all on bearings.

04 Clio 172, Meg 250
I agree. Best taking it to someone who knows what there doing. I just thought it may be something similar to what mines was doing. Dodgy idler pulley on the aux belt.

clio 172
No worries. I wasnt looking for the answer more an idea of what this could be an potential costs. Typically its something I need to get done asap but its also MOT time and I have a shopping list to get before the big day. These things always come all at once! Sigh.

clio 172
Got mine booked in now for Tuesday. The mechanic advised he had the same symptoms on a VW golf after driving through a heavy flood. That job turned out to be the alternator. He checked mine and said it is noisy but due to the large engine he couldn't diagnose till all the crap is removed to get to the pulleys and belts. What ever it is it will be bad news but I'll post the outcome in case it helps. having said that what this type of job each case will likely be different.

clio 172
Thought I would post what mine turned out to be incase it is any help at all.

On removing all the gubins around the pulleys the mechanic found the plastic and cloth shield opposite the mains cogs had swelled and been coming into contact with the cambelt/Aux belt not sure which one. The shield is a noise reduction addition Renault fitted out of the factory. The rubbing created a gash about 6 inches so this shield was removed. Two pulleys he showed me were shot, both had noise which was again demo'd when taken off the car. The Aux belt needed to be changed as it has tiny cracks all over it (Lucky!). The job took 1 guy about 6/7 hours. All done for £380 for removal, diagnosis, 2 pullys and a belt then putting it all back together at £40 p hr.

My recommendation to anyone who has a whining noise, get it into a decent mechanic asap.

Thought I would post what mine turned out to be incase it is any help at all.

On removing all the gubins around the pulleys the mechanic found the plastic and cloth shield opposite the mains cogs had swelled and been coming into contact with the cambelt/Aux belt not sure which one. The shield is a noise reduction addition Renault fitted out of the factory. The rubbing created a gash about 6 inches so this shield was removed. Two pulleys he showed me were shot, both had noise which was again demo'd when taken off the car. The Aux belt needed to be changed as it has tiny cracks all over it (Lucky!). The job took 1 guy about 6/7 hours. All done for £380 for removal, diagnosis, 2 pullys and a belt then putting it all back together at £40 p hr.

My recommendation to anyone who has a whining noise, get it into a decent mechanic asap.

7 hours?! Did he have 1 hand?

It doesn't even take 7 hours to do the Cambelt and water pump at the same time