ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whining noise

Renault Clio Alize
Hi all, this has probably been asked before but I haven't been able to find my answer. I have a 1999 mk2 Renault Clio, today is Wednesday. On Monday I noticed a whining sound when in high speed of around 45-50. Since noticing this noise, I have tried it in and out of gear, with and without the clutch down and the noise was always there. But not on idle, it's silent. Had the mot done today so had all wheels checked for bearing play but nothing at all. Only a very slight play on the passengers driveshaft. To me the sound sounds like it's coming from the front of the passengers side.

renault clio 1.4 16v
the gearbox internals will still be spinning (drive side) with the wheels, so could be low on oil or in need of a oil change, also, a bearing can be toast and still have no play but they tend to make grumbeling noises and not whining, if you can, jack up and spin the wheels, they should spin silently and smoothly, besides for brake noises... if there is any other noise then its probably wheel bearings...