ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whiteline ARB - Tripoding

172 Track Car
Just to double check I'm not being thick, does the Whiteline ARB reduce the tendency to tripod?

The two arguments in my head are as follows, ARB stops outside wheel tucking up as much and so the inside wheel stays firmly planted. Or the ARB lifts in the inside wheel up with the outside wheel and so you get more tripoding.

I'm sure it's the first one with less tripod action which is a shame as I imagine the whiteline ARB also makes it more tail happy.

Cheers,
​Conway

It should reduce the tripoding at least, and it will make it more tail happy if you have it on the hard setting. I got mine on the soft setting and its perfect - turn-in is much tighter and generally feels more "planted" in corners.

​Not gonna bother trying the hard setting for now.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
It's the first as you've said Alex. You will still tripod but you've got to be pushing hard. Mines on the hardest setting, don't find it at all loose or sideways happy as some have said. Probs 2nd best thing I've bought.

Depends if the tripoding is mainly caused by the inside rear damper reaching its limit of travel or if you have very stiff rear dampers, which when dealing with sudden pitch + roll motions typically generated on corner entry, cause a momentary lift of the inside rear. In the former case, the extra rear ARB will probably reduce the tendency to tripod by reducing the overall amount of body roll, but in the latter case it will increase the tendency to tripod as it will exagerate that particular effect.

I would imagine that it's a bit of both with the clio, and I bet (all things being equal) that three-wheeling will still be just as big a feature of the clio's handling with or without the whiteline rear ARB, and it seems to be the case from what I've seen.

As already said, as a general rule, increasing rear roll stiffness pushes the balance more toward oversteer (or reduced understeer!) by its effect of altering the proportional loads of all four tyres in lateral roll. Don't get too hung up on the tripoding thing as thats just a side effect rather than the determining factor in the handling balance.

172 Track Car
In the case of the Clio I believe tripoding is always caused by maximum droop being reached in extreme roll, which isn't related to the severity of the damping.

I realise tripoding is if anything bad when cornering as a tyre coefficient of friction decreases with increased loading but it looks damn cool!

What change did you feel Clio-Addidas? Just a decrease in understeer?

In the case of the Clio I believe tripoding is always caused by maximum droop being reached in extreme roll, which isn't related to the severity of the damping.

In that case it will tripod less.

I realise tripoding is if anything bad when cornering as a tyre coefficient of friction decreases with increased loading...

friction increases with tyre loading, its just that it increase in a non-linear manner, so unequal loadings left/right have overall less grip that an equal left/right loading

Lotus Elise

I realise tripoding is if anything bad when cornering as a tyre coefficient of friction decreases with increased loading but it looks damn cool!

What change did you feel Clio-Addidas? Just a decrease in understeer?

The car is more adjustable using the throttle. E.g when the front starts to reach the limit of slip, a little lift will bring the back round (steadily, it wont snap) and nurse the nose in.

Best thing I did to my Trophy.

172 Track Car
friction increases with tyre loading, its just that it increase in a non-linear manner, so unequal loadings left/right have overall less grip that an equal left/right loading

That's why I said the coefficient of friction decreases with increased tyre loading ;)

The car is more adjustable using the throttle. E.g when the front starts to reach the limit of slip, a little lift will bring the back round (steadily, it wont snap) and nurse the nose in.

Best thing I did to my Trophy.

Excellent!