ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who owns the fastest 172

Hmmmmm good question, there was one post from mark267bhp who said he had just bought a mk1 172 with throttle bodies and nitrous which I guess made 267bhp on the rollers.....

But, are you talking about speed of acceleration or pure grunt power?

320d M Sport

i got a standard 1/4 mile time of 14.9, thats pretty quick for a car that hasnt been touched!

*time to be bettered in 2 weeks too.......party on.

BMW 320d Sport

Isnt TimOs the fastest? Dont know about bhp but its not really important if youve got the quickest one?

320d M Sport

yeah, AFAIK timO has the fastest mk1 + mk2!

think mines recorded the fastest standard time!

Well TimO certainly has the crown of quickest (ie 1/4 mile time) but what about bhpwise as 172gal asked? anyway, like ya say its all about the times aint it, not the bhp, power to weight n all that......

Well, gotta go see about some seats, gotta shift another 40 odd kilos outta this car LoL

Alfa Mito 155TB

it would be nice to drive against a tuned 172 flat out on a long straight so i could judge the power difference :)

mk2 172

ooh hannah thats a nice name;)

reno shud ditch there 1.6 and drop the 16v tu in there and the lower model would almost be as quick as the 172

Craggy is a pretty name...;) hehe.

I guess bhp isnt the best way to suss this out, it must be 1/4 mile times. Oh what i would do for throttle bodies :devilish:...keep on dreaming.....:sleep:

CTR EK9 turbo

Paddy did you strip to make that time? Just stripped my bros BRM and those rear seats weigh an absolute tonne.

mk2 172

:oops:ooh thanks its Neil to the ladies hannah

am hoping the beasts a bit quicker come york so i hope theres some stiff competition, so far its been a lil "limp" with a few exceptions hehehe

mk2 172

oh ps before anyone gets arsey im playing btw,a bit of pre york banter if you like. i know how sensitive some of you are when it comes to performance and comparisons:D

320d M Sport

took the back seats out, to b honest they weigh FOOK all, couldnt tell any difference in a straight line, on bends it was better. 14.7 im aiming for

So no one has over 185bhp? Thats pathetic! The most any 172 owners has is 13bhp over standard! Hasnt anyone got TBs sorted yet?

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 10 June 2003

So no one has over 185bhp? Thats pathetic! The most any 172 owners has is 13bhp over standard! Hasnt anyone got TBs sorted yet?
Calculated 188.1 @TF. Have a look at the recent Midlands RR Day thread as I cant remember for the life of me how it was calculated!

Unless you are in the guinness book of records under section "fastest 172" then nothing can be prooved.............mmwwwwwhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaahaaaaahaaaaaaaa

I dont know about the fastes, but i did used to have a 250HP 172, NOS Powered.

Unfortunatly i crashed it !

0-160gph (100 mph) about 13.2 sec, if i remeber corectly.

Anyway you can find it in the gallery here.

Mine recorded 186 bhp at fly with 158 lbft of torque the other day at Well Lane turbo centre, it runs a 1/4 in 14.3 at 95. It weighs 960kg without driver and approx 8-10 litres of fuel.

I also will have a decat to go on but got couple of thinks to sort first but before the 22nd which I think is the next 1/4 mile day. Tim

I had the before and after run when the chip was fitted, 174 before 184.7 after i Would like to take it to BBs rollers as most people here have been on them as Im not sure it sould be a bit more then again a few BHP makes no difference

2012 WRX Waggon

Who cares?

The old 16v will beat you all anyway!

Mat.;)

LMFAO - Oh how true!!!!

And its bugger all to do with the colour ;)

172 gal, does the question relate to a measured lap time around a specific track/circuit or to straight line speed (if its the latter, Ill prob never know or care to find out). If were talking about a circuit lap, I can tell you that the same car lap times vary +/- 25% or more depending on driver. So given that everybodys 172s the same give or take a few bhp, the "fastest" 172 on the forum would be slower than the "slowest" 172 properly driven...Just trying to make a point that track time is the best performance modification for your money. Cars fine, its usually the driver that needs improvement. (on a scale of 1 to 10, Im still trying to get past 2 or 3 myself..)

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by philip on 11 June 2003

172 gal, does the question relate to a measured lap time around a specific track/circuit or to straight line speed (if its the latter, Ill prob never know or care to find out). If were talking about a circuit lap, I can tell you that the same car lap times vary +/- 25% or more depending on driver. So given that everybodys 172s the same give or take a few bhp, the "fastest" 172 on the forum would be slower than the "slowest" 172 properly driven...Just trying to make a point that track time is the best performance modification for your money. Cars fine, its usually the driver that needs improvement. (on a scale of 1 to 10, Im still trying to get past 2 or 3 myself..)
This is true without a doubt. The best performance mod that I ever did was to get some on-track tuition. The same applies to drag racing, although to a lesser extent. You need a lot of practice to get the fastest time that the car can do.

Elise/VX220/R26

I think its mine although I have no proof. Its a standard car but I think cos its black it adds to the air flow dynamic flux capacitor and gives more speed to the horse gallon power.