ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who's got misted up headlight recently?!

S2 106 GTI
Since the weather has turned to winter my headlight have started misting up ALOT! only one though :S

Just went out today to have a look at its covered with water on the inside!:dapprove: I have done the usual take the covers off the back and heat up with hair dryer - it goes but eventually comes back. I am wondering if there is a seal gone so water is getting on some how??

anybody else had this problem?

Golf GTD Mk7
I have this with my xenon's. does my head in. must be a seal leak somewhere. The heat of the lights should remove it though.

S2 106 GTI
55 plate mate - I have fitted HID's and sealed them when refitting. AS I thought it might be letting water in some way. The heat from the HID does take out some of the condensation but not all of it.

S2 106 GTI
I did put some of those silca bag in for a bit (what you get in trainer's) but it never worked :(

Might try the masking tape other than that I may just heat the hole headlight up with hair dryer until bone dry! and try and seal it better

Fiesta RS Turbo & Pug 206
yea happened on my ph2 172 , so i bought some angel eyes and guess what ...................... it still happens

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I used to get this on one light in my 172 but never got it in my 182.

Must be a seal

Twingo rs133
Considering it's a trophy i'd guess at 05-06 plate
I was gonna say take it back 2 renault under warranty but if its that reg its probley run out. my misses has got a 58reg scnic and 1 of her lights has started 2 do it:mad:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have a funny story about fogged up headlights actually....

There is a way to get rid of the mist and I had a guy coming to look at a Ford Ka last week and needed to clear it all out before he got here, it looks awful.

SO i started the engine, put headlights and full beam on and covered the light with a wet chamois. If you leave it like this for 5 minutes, the light will get so hot it will dry out completely, awesome! :D

Well dopey b****cks here had completely forgot about itand carried on working when all of a sudden I could smell burning plastic and could hear really loud popping. I'd left it for 40 minutes and the light and bumper had completely melted. The popping was all the bulbs inside the light xploding where the molten plastic had dripped down and smothered them....

Needless to say a trip to the scrappy and 2 hours manic swapping over was needed to get the car ready!! What a tool.

Clio 197 cup pack
one of mine is steaming up, tried the hot air trick, went aint came back, tried it again the sealed it with tape, went then came back, With the lights on it does clear it but soon as they cool it comes back AGAIN!

S2 106 GTI
Welll seen as today is a nice day I 'borrowed' the mrs best hairdryer! :eek: she wasn't too impressed

took the covers off the back and wedged the dryer so hot air was forced into the headlight. left it for 30 mins came out and all gone! kept it there for slightly longer while I fitted my carbon splitter (what a pain!!) left the covers off the back while I parked the car in the sun....will leave it like thea until later.

See what happens during the week. Is it todo with air temp and damp which causes it to mist up? can't remember how it goes

S2 106 GTI
Just as I thought I had cracked it.....The sun has gone in, temp has dropped and getting dark. Had a look and the bloody thing has misted over again! :dapprove:

Hairdryer out again but this time it went really quickly. Must need drying out a little

Nissan 350z
Not sure about other Clios but on the Ph2 172s i imagine its because the rubber cap that sits at the back of the xenons has seen better days and is begining to perish slightly so doesnt fit as tight as it once did. Because of this moisture will get into the unit.

I recommend to either treat the rubber with vasoline or replace them, see if that helps.

S2 106 GTI
Left the cover off the back all ngt and all day and it hasn't misted up! soooo........I'll leave it off for a few days to dry it all out

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
had this with a ka then had it replaced and still did it! dried it out with a hair dryer only does it with a real good down poor not very often!....hope you solve it upsetting when it rains...least it doesnt rain heavily that much..doesnt last long !

S2 106 GTI
Just updating this thread really....I left the cover off the back all week now and it hasn't misted up once! I am going to put it back on over hte weekend to see what happens.......:)

I had to buy a drivers side healight as it was damaged and the direction of the beam couldn't be directed properly, but around a week ago its been getting misted up inside and now it's worse because the mist doesn't clear it's self anymore :( only had that light around 2 months cost me 50 quid :( gonna have ago at drying mine out too, got a feeling it might be a patent part not a renault one.

S2 106 GTI
I left my cover off all weekend and last week and it has been fine! Put the cover on to travel a bit further (was going shopping) and it was fine until it started getting colder at ngt came in the morning and it was a tiny bit misted, but through the day it cleared. I can't see water getting in anywhere, so it must be just slightly damp in there causing it to mist after the headlights have been on?? Like when you jump in your car when your slightly wet your windows steam up

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
my fog lights decided to steam up after i crashed into a puddle so just left them on for 10 mins and cleared them pretty good!

S2 106 GTI
Well the big test was with all the rain we have been having!

I decided to leave the trophy at work!!! our boss decided to give me a lift to our mrs lol he has a new Discovery so was nice and high up!.......test was to see if it would mist up over ngt. but cam this morning and it wasn't! :D oh as for the pics there will be more to come! haha