ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

..why are 172s so good?

Clio 172 (flame red)
Recently I have been contemplating selling me 172 and getting a Honda S2000 as I am worried about the residuals on the 172 dropping badly when the new Renaultsport model is released, plus I thought it would be a good way to cut down the amount of rubbish I have to transport whenever I go anywhere with my girlfriend.

However I am come to the conclusion that I just cant bear to see the 172 go, I just cant help thinking that pounds per thrill there isnt much to beat it. Plus my car seems to know when I have been talking about selling it as the next time I drive it I always seem to have an amazing drive...dammit

Anyone else have this problem, or have I just got issues?

Lux'd Glacier White R26
S2000 revs to 9k (or something stupid like that)...Similar to a Vee in performance stakes, but dont look as good imo!!

The extra cash you would need to buy an S2000 wouldn't justify the pound per thrill you talk about!

Stick with the 172....(but we would say that)

Tyson.

A Grey Slab (Audi Estate)
Malibudave said:
Plus my car seems to know when I have been talking about selling it as the next time I drive it I always seem to have an amazing drive...dammit

Your lucky, when ever I think about selling my car something always breaks or falls off my current car without fail :dapprove:

S2000's very nice cars. Garage I bought my orig 172 off had one in, along with a few TVR's and Lotus', guy at the garage reckoned the S2000 was probably one of the best cars he has ever driven. Plus I personally think they are one of the few sports cars blokes actually can drive and look ok.

If you can afford it, go for it.

MKIII 138
why not wait for the new fiat punto abarth ! that will become the definitive hothactch/supermini and waste anything if its true to claimed specs

AWD supermini with 230bhp ! sub 6 to sixty stock, punto abarth rally looks.. drool uses the exellent Q4 awd system from the alfa romeo which offer really great grip. wont weigh as much as a saloon and will be tunable to 300bhp quite easily

MKIII 138
.. but if they dont do that then there is definatley a 180bhp turbo penned in although the weigh of the new model mite be quite high compared with say a current 182cup

Clio 172 (flame red)
Trouble with the S2k is that it doesnt have that much more torque that the 172 and I like torque.
I agree that the S2000 is one of the few convertibles that dont require the driver to have a fake tan and a perm!

That punto sounds amazing!

Clio 172
According to EVO, the 2nd hand price of the 172 is rock solid, as there's a demand for them at their £5-6k price tag.

Why on earth would you buy an S2000. It's a girls car!

Octavia VRS
clio-lane said:
According to EVO, the 2nd hand price of the 172 is rock solid, as there's a demand for them at their £5-6k price tag.

Why on earth would you buy an S2000. It's a girls car!

Yep 172s shouldn't go down much further for a while as demand is still there.

I wouldn't say the S2000 is a girls car tho!

tiTTy & SV650
no way an s2000 is a girls car, I love the DC5 but S2000 is RWD so more of a proper car innit ;)

how can anyone with a clio say a 2 door sports car is a girls car? lol

Clio 172
it's a butch girls car - the dungaree wearing type. The Japs can't style sports cars like the Europeans can. Coupes yes, sports no.

You can't compare a clio to a sports car in the styling stakes. If you have the cash to buy a proper sports car then buy something European.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Malibudave said:
Plus my car seems to know when I have been talking about selling it as the next time I drive it I always seem to have an amazing drive...dammit

I seem to have the same problem whenever I choose to sell a car :D

I need to sell my Cup but I just cannot bring myself to do it. I've decided to keep it, stay in debt and enjoy life! Future classic I say, in ten years it will just be 172 Cups and TVRs on the road without ABS or loads of electronic gubbins!

I can't see values dropping much more, £5-6k should be the minimum for 182s etc when they get older as the MK1 172s seemed to have levelled out around this area when mileage gets real high. Demand will always be there.

Ziel Nurburgring
Almost the perfect combination. Cheap, fantastic handling and a lot of power for a small car. So easy to get in throw round a couple of corners and then load up at the shops.

They'll be the car of choice for the road hooligan in a year or so.

Clio 172 mk2
blink172 said:
Almost the perfect combination. Cheap, fantastic handling and a lot of power for a small car. So easy to get in throw round a couple of corners and then load up at the shops.

They'll be the car of choice for the road hooligan in a year or so.

I thought they already were:D

C

Cupster

Thought I found a good replacement for my first cup, a Golf V64Motion, how wrong I was!!! Sold that and got another cup cos there was nothing else out there!!! Was thinking of an S2000 but insurance slapped me in the face so I bought another cup! Happy again now.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
An S2000 is one of the only cars that would tempt me out of the Cup when it came to trackday fun, and road ability.

How many do you ever see being properly "driven" LOL

VaVa
If I changed my car, it would be for the sake of it. There aren't any cars out there for the money I'm willing to spend that really take my fancy.

Apart from a Trophy. lol.

Red Clio 197 F1
I love my 172 but I know I won't have it for ever.

Now I really can't believe you guys think clios are more sporty than an S2000 - that does make me laugh!

I was very close to getting a mates S2000 the other month, then planned on leasing one from new but for the time being I am staying with my Clio 172. But not on the grounds that it is more sporty than the S2000.

And apparently only European cars have the pedigree over japanese cars, I will say a few short sharp words:

Honda NSX
Skyline
Integra Typre R
350Z
S2000
Mazda RX8

Come on guys let's not get carried away with our clio's. They are great for exactly what we need and it is difficult to shake the affection for them. But if you had a different disposable income it would be a different story - surely!

Anyway, I love my car and long may it continue. Ideally I would like to have it as an everyday car and an S2000 for other days.

One day, laters

Clio 200
my previous car was an s2000, really great car, but a bit hairy in the wet in even normal driving. I nearly spun it on a straight dual carriageway

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
JayJo said:
And apparently only European cars have the pedigree over japanese cars, I will say a few short sharp words:

Honda NSX
Skyline
Integra Typre R
350Z
S2000
Mazda RX8

I noticed you forgot to mention one or two of those better known european cars..

Lamborghini
Ferrari
Bugati
Porcshe
Mercedes
BMW
Jaguar
Bently
:rasp: :rasp: :rasp:

I love my 172 too but I would swap it for a s2000 if I could afford to as they are fast and plush,
Im put off of most other Jap cars on their build quality (other than mechanical build quailty) and finese they are cheap and tacky through and through but they do go well!

i want to sell my clio in a year before warranty runs out as i have a fear that the day the warranty runs out it will go bang on me as im so unlucky

thinking of buying a 330d convertible, faster than the 182 but around £20k..

and i think abotu it and REALLY dont want to sell the clio.. sure it rattles, its noisey n thirsty above 70mph, it has chocolate engine mounts and millions of other faults but theyre just so much fun and look awesome.

The 330d isn't much faster than the 182,

My mate has a 330 Ci (petrol) and I keep up with him to about a ton in my 172, after that (4 th gear) the beema starts to pull away. the beema is a nicer place to be in tho! If you only get 1 option make sure it the Harmon Kardon sound package - awesome!

CrazyK said:
The 330d isn't much faster than the 182,

My mate has a 330 Ci (petrol) and I keep up with him to about a ton in my 172, after that (4 th gear) the beema starts to pull away. the beema is a nicer place to be in tho! If you only get 1 option make sure it the Harmon Kardon sound package - awesome!

ECU remap apparantly puts them on par with an m3 to 60ish.. not sure how true that is but just what ive read..

thing is with the 182.. if you want to drive at 70/80 it starts to drink petrol, soundslikeits being ragged, gets noisy, and after your 50mile journey sound slike it wants to die.. lol

thing is.. dunno what to do.. in september i'll be on 21k ish instead of 14k im on at the min.
by january my loan will be paid off which will mean 160 extra per month to myself too. and then the next september my wages will go up to around 26/27k.
just not sure if i will be able to afford a 20-23k car..

My mates 330 has a £5k zorst and Induction kit and a remap, and its still not much quicker than mine. He test drove an M3 the other week as he wants to change it, his first comment about the m3 was "wow" so I take it from that comment it was faster than the 330.

I used to have a 328i and its a lovely motorway cruiser, but i wanted something with a little more driving pleasure. the beemas are very nice but very boring to drive.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
JayJo said:
Now I really can't believe you guys think clios are more sporty than an S2000 - that does make me laugh!

...for the time being I am staying with my Clio 172. But not on the grounds that it is more sporty than the S2000.

Are you confusing sporty with fast?