ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

why buy a 197

laguna coupe
why would you want to buy a 197 because the car standard is 15000 buy the time you have spected it up with cruise control xenon lights and metalic paint and all the rest you want on it. its going to cost you about 17000 why not just go a buy a megane 225 cup or f1 for the same price 17000

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
liquid_force said:
why would you want to buy a 197 because the car standard is 15000 buy the time you have spected it up with cruise control xenon lights and metalic paint and all the rest you want on it. its going to cost you about 17000 why not just go a buy a megane 225 cup or f1 for the same price 17000

The car is 15999 standard. And it drives better than a 225. (admitedly nowhere near as fast)

And if i thought of it like that, why spend 17g's on a megane? i'd buy a AMG merc or Second hand porsche.

Leon Cupra R 225
this anti 197 will go on and on and on and on....... until a V6 with 300+bhp is put into production...

Civic Vtec y0
tommyboy said:
this anti 197 will go on and on and on and on....... until a V6 with 300+bhp is put into production...
yep so true!

All valid points tho

133/225/CLS AMG
I paid £16,400 for my Megane 225 which has climate control and xenons. As standard it had a 6 disc changer and electric folding mirros. To spec up the 197 to the same as the Megane it would be £17,500!!! Its just not worth the cost, bearing in mind the interior is virtually nicked straight out of the Meganes anyway.

Unless its a broker price in the Clio 197, its just not worth paying the dealers prices!! IMO

Turbos.
£17k isn't that much really, don't get why people whine so much. Why do people spend just as much on a base model 3 Series BMW? Because they want to!

The Clio 182 is an average car, yeah it goes well, handles nice, but as an overall car it's a joke. Get a reality check.

Only a mug would pay RRP on a Clio.

I thought car supermarkets were knocking 197's out for about 14k ??
Some one priced one up with all of the possible options & it was about the same price as the 197 from renault with nothing added on.

133/225/CLS AMG
The only point I'd make is that it is still a Clio and the idea of the 172/182 is that they were fairly cheap to buy but great fun and very quick. The 197 is now fairly expensive by comparison which has pushed it out of the bracket that the 182 fell into price wise.

I haven't driven one but I'm sure its a good car, but I just think that when you can get the prices so much cheaper from a broker, you'd be a bit of a mug to pay the dealer prices.

If you can get a Megane 225 with extras for £16k then the Clio should be available for £13k. Paying £17 for it is just daft. I would say that Renault has made a bit of a c**k up with the pricing of the new Clio thats all.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Timmay said:
true...

plus theyre ugly as f**k as well

Couldn't agree more. The basic Mk3 Clios look truly awful imo. Now if they made them with the same appearance (and potential power - 205bhp) of the new Clio Cup racers, then I would definitely be interested!

My next Reno will either be a 182 Trophy or a Meggy 225. I'd love an F1 Meggy, but price & availability will limit it for me. Failing that, I'll switch manufacturers.

D.

laguna coupe
ther reason why i think the price has gone up is that the build quality is a bit better
and because they have had to make it better it cost more to make so there for thats why the xexen lights and climate control is an exta

another point though if your buying a 197 for thrill and it being a pocket rocket why would you want to make it heavier with all the extras why not just buy it standard

133/225/CLS AMG
I'd imagine the build quality is probably more like the Megane than the Clio 172/182. I actually found my 172 build actually ok but the Megane 225 was noticeably better.

The thing is that Renault have priced it out of its old bargain, hot hatch bracket and closer to the Civic Type-R which was never the idea of the old RS Clios!!!!

It was always meant to be the quickest car you could buy for the money but it looks like thats gone out of the window with this version. :( :(

I don't see the problem its expensive then agin list price on the old 182 was £14.7k and with Cup packs it took it to £15.1k. The Cup 182 was £13.8k so infact the car over 2 years hasn't gone up in price much

Nissan 350Z
Not sure why people keep going on about build quality. We want a fun hot hatch, not a bland, boring, comfortable, gutless car.

If you want build quality why go for a renault at all?

197 (soon...)
No need to pay RRP...Dealers are offering good discounts. Got mine for £15k inc climate and radio upgrade. I'm happy with that.

cliobuyer said:
The Clio 182 is an average car, yeah it goes well, handles nice, but as an overall car it's a joke. Get a reality check.

It's not an average car at all. In fact it's a pretty oustanding car. It cost peanuts and had a level of standard kit you wouldn't find in anything costing less than £20k. It also has a level of performance and fun that belies its tiny asking price. In the grand scheme of things it's anything but average. In fact it's remarkable that you can have so much fun for so little outlay.

I paid £12,300 brand new for my 182Cup in January '05 and it still has more standard kit than anything even remotely near that price. It also goes like stink, and covers tarmac as quickly as anything costing double. I've owned it for 18 months from new and I still smile every time I turn the key.

It's already a hot hatch legend. Average? Get a reality check ;)

Nissan 350Z
I agree. The 182 is an absolute legend. Why? The key is in the affordability.

Few cars can match its combination of standard kit, affordability to run, alongside what is, lets face it, very good performance even by todays standards and great fun handling. Its a practical go-kart, with air-con, half leather interior and cruise control.

Not many cars with this performance will still return high-20's MPG on the road even when being mercilessly thrashed.

Now, with the 197 we have a car which has a relatively high RRP, expensive 17", 215 width tyres, fuel consumption that falls into the low 20's, basically, signficantly higher cost of ownership, and for what? The race for better refinement, yet a slower, more boring car to drive. No thanks

Mini Cooper S sport
tommyboy said:

Yeah but that will be 30k and none of us will be able to afford it ;)

Wish they'd do it though!

Love my 182 but I'm changing marques after this car, wouldn't bother with a 197 even though I like its looks in the metal (haven't driven one yet but I'd want something faster than my 182, not the same or slower).