ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why buy a cup

Abarth 500

I know the debate about the 172 Cup and the 172 has been ongoing for some time now and I cant wait for the new 182 boys to add fuel to the fire (;)) but it seems odd to me reading why other Cup drivers bought the car...

I appreciate that the track may be a little bit wider and its a little bit lower and a little bit lighter but am I really the only person who bought the Cup because its a little bit cheaper as well :eek: ?

Ive had little races with Simon before so know that the two cars are very evenly matched and I do love the wheels, colour and little bit of extra rear spoiler that you only get with the Cup, but surely price is the important factor when buying?

Its good to have pride in your car but surely its time for Cup owners to admit that a saving of more than £2k was more tempting than a front track wider by 2mm!!!

Maybe its just me... :oops:

For me, not a cup owner I know, but I bought the most car I could afford.

when I bought my then 9month old 172, I could have had a new cup for the same price.

If I had a couple more grand to spend then Id have bought a new 172.

So for me the price/value for money was a big part of which car I chose.

hehe, no cup owners want to comment, me n christian (who anyone who has seen him will tell you drives his car like an animal despite him looking innocent, lol) had a very enjoyable blat from swindon to cheltenham at all different speeds, in gear and from stationary up through the gears upto speeds of about !30 mph and you couldnt get a gnats c**k between the two cars.im not saying that the cup isnt quicker what i am saying tho is it is only going to be quicker on the racetrack in the dry where the lower weight and lack of abs, suspension revisions etc will actually make a difference, on the road you cant split the two cars at all. and before the handbags come out remember that this thread was started by a cup owner ;)

I considered buying a Cup when I changed cars a few months ago.

At the time, you could buy a used Cup for £10k and a similar age 172 for about the same price. What appealed to me was the fact that the Cup was a slightly more focussed machine, limited for homologation purposes, stripped of the extras I didnt need anyway. Call me a sucker, but I love homologation specials.

However, if those were going to be my criteria - and they were - then a car like the old Williams was a step up from the Cup again (please note, in dynamic and flexibility terms, not so much in speed).

I followed my instincts and found a low mileage, mint Willy in the end. And returning to the original point... guess what? It was cheaper too!!

Lee

BMW M2C

Was the cup stripped for homologation purposes? I thougt it was just to be able to sell it cheaply?

i bought a cup because its quicker ... sorry guys but its 0-60 is under 7 seconds, pretty impressive in anyones book, also if i was buying a 172 for comfort ie seats climate cruise, to be honest i wouldnt buy a 172 i would buy a bigger more lux car ie adi a3 or likewise, so overall i bought a cup because of its raw performance, i wanted a performance car so i may as well get the quickest i could....

Rick

P.S this is in no way meant to offend 172 owners as they are the same car as mine, i guess its down to ondividual wants and needs..

Cos its cheap! Performance/pound it cant be beaten, esp. when you pay 2k under list and wait 2 weeks for a brand spanker

coming from a stripped 106 rallye its going to feel like luxury anyway!

oh yeh and homo cars really appeal to me ;)

tbh i would have rather a 968 CS for the same money but the ins was 3xs as much

The Cup was initially limited to 2500 examples (LHD and RHD) for FIA Group N homologation purposes.

Theyve made more, but were careful not to call it a "limited edition" at any stage - thats what happened with the Williams 2 and 3 and they got sued by original Williams owners!

To be fair to the Willy, it was homologated for Group A and was a bit more of a re-working of the 16V (the 172 of the day) than the Cup is of the 172.

Paying over 10k for a car I personally wanted all the extras, didnt see the point in pay a sh*t load for a car that didnt have the lux items. As mentioned above the performance advantage the cup is meant to have is so tiny I didnt see the point.

One thing that always make me think is, why do people buy the stripped out cup then fill the boot with an ICE install adding extra weight? :confused:

Yes, price was a big factor. I could afford a full spec 172 but I dont want cruise control, ESP, EBD, XYZ, Xenons, headlamp washers and all the other pointless stuff. I did want CC though which is why I got the CUP when they added that option.

lads - it is totally an individual decision, the question "172 or cup, which is faster" is easily answered, its the cup as the figures show, the cup is a tiny winy icle bit faster than the 172, i personally thought long and hard about which to buy, i opted for the 172 because i wasnt really that bothered about getting to sixty 0.2secs quicker plus i wanted leather, xenons and all the other lovely things that renault have put in this little car.

both the 172 and cup are great cars built for two different kinds of people.

Lee

BMW M2C

I should hope the reason people bought Cups was because they wanted one. You dont need to justify your reasons to us.

I chose the 172 because thats what I wanted.

Just enjoy your cars :D

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member

brought mine cos it was the fastest think under 15k and i thought it was a limited edition so it wouldnt devalue as quickly at a normal 172....Wot a joke that idea turned out 2 be!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 28 November 2003

I should hope the reason people bought Cups was because they wanted one. You dont need to justify your reasons to us.

I chose the 172 because thats what I wanted.

Just enjoy your cars :D
Here Here. ........ 172s are better though......

I like a raw car, it reminds me of the days when I had my MK2 Golf GTI, it was hard and uncompromising, Which I like. I am not to interested in AC and stuff, The Cup as well as being cheaper is a bit more raw than the normal 172. And of cause a little faster, with performance even a split second is important. phycologically of course, its all in the mind.

(Spelling ?)

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by dash on 28 November 2003

Think he means more rattley and less toys etc. Like the old days, wash em out with the hose.
I hate to say this, but Ive yet to drive a Cup/172 with as many rattles as mine. :( The Cup had cleared 34k miles and was a lot more sound than my 7 month old 172.

Nippy white cup

I got my brand new Cup for £10600 and spent around £600 and it is now a little rocket. Thats why I bought my Cup. Low 6s 0-60, probably sub 15s 0-100 and all for £11000!

Still smiling when I go out in it!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 28 November 2003

I got my brand new Cup for £10600 and spent around £600 and it is now a little rocket. Thats why I bought my Cup. Low 6s 0-60, probably sub 15s 0-100 and all for £11000!

Still smiling when I go out in it!
Now thats a bargain^^^ sub 15 0-100 for 11000. By the same token I think both cars are an absolute steal at the price, the cup for its performance and the 172 for its toys.

Remapped derv Golf

Bought the cup cause I wanted the cup! I was offered a 172 (pre-reg but new (10 miles) by the same dealer) for the same price as I paid for the cup. I did think about it over a whole weekend but the 172 was silver and a hate silver on any car let alone my own. The mondial blue cup just looked too good! im not too keen on the 172 wheels either and my coat left a load of fluff on the 172s seat:oops:.

If I want all the toys I will buy a bigger car like a Leon or an A3 in the future but I like the "old sckool" feel on the CUP for now. Anyway if need AC or anything I can borrow me mum Megane or my old mans A3 for now.

Its all down to what you want from a car.

And out of all the French hatchback ive owned (Clio RT, 205 GTI, 106 Xsi, VTR) they havent all rattled once they get old! Im sure the 172 is no different.

it was the only one i test drove. If i had the extra money then i probably would of got a 172.

Ive gone from an old car with no toys so i dont miss what ive never had. Both good cars, my cup is fun and thats what i like about it.

Quote: Originally posted by 172loony on 28 November 2003

hehe, no cup owners want to comment, me n christian (who anyone who has seen him will tell you drives his car like an animal despite him looking innocent, lol) had a very enjoyable blat from swindon to cheltenham at all different speeds, in gear and from stationary up through the gears upto speeds of about !30 mph and you couldnt get a gnats c**k between the two cars.im not saying that the cup isnt quicker what i am saying tho is it is only going to be quicker on the racetrack in the dry where the lower weight and lack of abs, suspension revisions etc will actually make a difference, on the road you cant split the two cars at all. and before the handbags come out remember that this thread was started by a cup owner ;)

I had many blasts with my bros old 172 (which could run mailto:15.0@94">15.0@94 mph with interior in so was a V.good un) and my Cup did pull away from it not by a HUGE ammount but you could see the difference. Maybe the Cup you raced wasnt a goodun :D

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 28 November 2003

There is nothing raw about a Cup. :confused: An Elise is raw.

Its all relative.......a Cup does seem a little on the raw side compared to a 172. Perhaps "raw" is the wrong word........the Cup seems more focused/has a harder "edge" than the 172, its out of the same mould as the mkI Golf GTI, 205, etc. Ive spent plenty of time driving Cup/172 back-to-back and theres no question the Cup has a little extra sparkle, although I accept that on the road youd be hard pushed to notice. Get them on the track though and theyre worlds apart.

I went for the Cup coz I wanted the best track car I could lay my hands on for bargain-basement money (also needed an element of day-to-day practicality). For driving thrills you dont need the toys.

I dont want to offend anyone.....obviously its a personal thing.........each to their own and all that.

Ive been in both a 172 and a Cup.. and really, from a passengers view it was definetly more "raw".

Both being planted, I felt sick in the Cup.. and I was pinned.. I didnt feel the same in the 172.. *shrug*

Were different drivers tho.. the Cup being Slugger.. so Im guessing that could have something to do with it.. ;) Oh, and from different speeds I guess too - I wasnt looking at the speedo tho, too busy holding on..

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

i bought the cup cause it looks better, is rarer and quicker and the mondial blue paint really suits the car.

172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by yeecup on 29 November 2003

i bought the cup cause it looks better, is rarer and quicker and the mondial blue paint really suits the car.
Id agree with that!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I dont know about rarer, I thought the Cup had outsold the 172 now ? and I certainly see more cups than 172s.

Im very lucky if I see a 172, but a Cup is common place.

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 29 November 2003

I dont know about rarer, I thought the Cup had outsold the 172 now ? and I certainly see more cups than 172s.

Im very lucky if I see a 172, but a Cup is common place.
Depends I never see any CUPs round here. Only mine, Frostys and some girl in South Croydon once. See loads of 172s though. Ohh and I guy at work has a CUP but he lives in Crawley

Yeah, I see more 172 MK2s in silver than any other type of 172 where I live. I suppose it kind of depends what car sales places are around. There was a time for about 6 months where a local importer sold only 172 MK2s in Silver, and now theyre everywhere!

Having said that, I do see a fair few Cups around. Hardly ever spot a MK1 172 though ;)

Clio 172 cup 300bhp

I own a 172 cup and could easily afford an ordinary 172 as I only paif £10200 for my cup NEW! Its definately faster as my mates have 172s and I always beat them, unless its wet! On the track my cup will stick with most new elise 135 and easily out drag the old basic elise for nearly half the price! I bought mine for track use but have fitted loads of ICE in the car for comutting and town driving! You hardly use A/C as I have had it on 7 company cars! But i must admit the interior is really smart in the 172! IT is personal choice! But without doubt the cup has way better wheels and the blue is by far the best!!!!!!!!! The only reason silver gets so many votes is because its been out longer and is common!!! Every manufacturer does it

same ere......

how many cars are there bandnew below 17k or so thats faster than the cup....

wen choosing my cup i could have bought a 172 from a car supermarket cheaper but didnt cos i prefered the cup, wasnt fussed bout aircon (how many times do u use it?), ABs (bit of a downer, yeah but never had ABS b4), cruise control (would hardly use it), seats(plan to buy my own race ones), liked the cups , spoiler, wheels, colour, frount splitter, and faster it was just the perfect hot hatch when looking.

not at all sl*ging off the 172 though cos effectivly they are the same just the cup offered me what i wnted

I bought a Cup, because I was amazed at the difference between the two, and to find that out you really need to give them both some stick.

If it was just the 172 on offer I wouldnt have been tempted. The car I chose for that sort of money had to have the wow factor, otherwise id have gone second hand to find it, ie Corrado VR6, ITR etc.

Quote: Originally posted by yeecup on 29 November 2003

Looks better? Theyre almost identical! Rarer? Id disagree, ive seen loads more cups than 172s round my way!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by 172gal on 01 December 2003

Looks better? Theyre almost identical!
Apart from the superb alloy wheels, the larger (& nicer) rear spoiler, the front splitter, that gorgeous mondial paint, etc... ;)

They aint much different, but the Cup in my opinion does have the edge!

Quote: Originally posted by 172gal on 01 December 2003

Rarer? Id disagree, ive seen loads more cups than 172s round my way!
Think it depends where you live!

Round my way there is the odd one or two Cups, but several 172s but in other places it may be different.

One thing is that neither the 172 or Cup combined gets close to the millions of CTRs round our way... mainly black!