ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why buy a cup

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 01 December 2003

Almost identical apart from the far better wheels and striking colour. And rarer - fact.
Oh and dont forget NO washer jets for the lights now ;)

Hmm, i wonder what sales figures are for the 172 and cup this last year? Cup hands down, therefore not so rare.

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 29 November 2003

I dont know about rarer, I thought the Cup had outsold the 172 now ? and I certainly see more cups than 172s.

Im very lucky if I see a 172, but a Cup is common place.

You serious? I see way way way more 172s going about, after all think how many more have been made/sold!!!

R

rich[182]

Lee M - Spot on mate

Cant see what all the debates about with cup v 172

Surely the bottom line is that if you buy a cup theres only 2 reasons, simple as that

1 - You wanted to

2 - Couldnt afford 172

The only problem with the cup is no ABS, for non track driving they can be dangerous in the wet! I have got a MK1 172 with mods to engine, brakes and suspension.

On a trackday at SPA i was quicker than a elise 160 sport so the best option in my opinion is by the lighter MK1 172! spend a couple of grand on mods and you have got a car quicker than the cup with comfort of a 172

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 02 December 2003

Surely the bottom line is that if you buy a cup theres only 2 reasons, simple as that

2 - Couldnt afford 172
LOL

I knew it would crop up sooner or later... the snob factor... :cry:

Think youll find that most Cup owners can afford to buy a 172 and it was probably cheaper to get a 172 from somewhere like Motorpoint than buy a Cup from a dealer for many people.

I can tell you now that the price was not a major factor in my decision to buy a Cup and probably the same for others!

Nissan R35 GT-R

I second that. If I wanted a 172 I would have one.

The price difference wouldnt have been too great because I paid full price for mine as it was one of the first in the country.

It was sold to me on the basis that it was a limited run (meaning I had no way of haggling the price down), whereas the 172s were production like any other car, so could have got the RRP down a bit.

I got the Cup because of the performance advantage it has over the 172 (no arguments please - its quicker - I have proved this time and time again with all the 172s Ive met on the roads), the exclusiveness of it (not so applicable now though), the wheels (much better than the 172s), and the colour (no comment needed).

In response to comments above by Rich 172.................

......2. "Couldnt afford a 172"

Is that why you call yourself Rich172 ?

Should I be called PoorCup!!! ;)

Price was not a factor for me either, the Cup actually IMO feels like the more quality car due to its responsiveness and taughter feel. It also has the wow factor which is a must for me if im going to buy a new car. Renault dont do quality very well, and id rather have a cracking car where they have put the effort into things theyre good at; handling, performance etc.

The 172 I test drove had 5k on the clock and was about 4 months old. The gearshift gaiter was detached at the bottom, the leather on the seat bolsters was cracking and looking worn, and the middle headrest on the backseat was covered very loosely in leather, and I mean loosely - it was as if it was wearing an ill fitting hat - all of which along with the uninspired drive pushed me into getting the no compromise RACING CAR!!!!!!!!!!!

VaVa

I was trying to explain to a chick that they do a cheaper version of the 172, which is a little bit quicker and has minimal extras. I then went on to explain that it has the same engine etc, but as it has f**k all in it, its lighter and thus the power to weight ratio is increased resulting in faster acceleration and theoretically higher cornering speeds. She looked at me with a blank smile and purred " Mmmmm.... these leather seats are lurvvlyy..... whats it like in the back.....? " Which is exactly the reason I bought a 172.. But each to there own.

Cup owners - Welcome to the cheap seats ( joke )

Nissan R35 GT-R

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 02 December 2003

" Mmmmm.... these leather seats are lurvvlyy..... whats it like in the back.....? "
Did you show her what it was like in the back? I bet the suspension got some use for once without the extra 3 degrees caster angle making a difference. ;)

LOL

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

She looked at me with a blank smile and purred " Mmmmm.... these leather seats are lurvvlyy..... whats it like in the back.....? " Which is exactly the reason I bought a 172.. But each to there own.
LOL

Well some of us "poor" Cup owners can afford to buy their own houses so dont need to fumble about in the back of a car... ;)

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by rickyboy on 02 December 2003

Then why didnt you buy a nice Audi with leather seats??????
What kind of question is that?!! Why didnt you buy a westfield or a radical racer if you wanted performance and no frills??!!!

I bought my 172 because I wanted to, the same reason, I assume, why you bought yours!!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 02 December 2003

She looked at me with a blank smile and purred " Mmmmm.... these leather seats are lurvvlyy..... whats it like in the back.....? " Which is exactly the reason I bought a 172.. But each to there own.
LOL

Well some of us "poor" Cup owners can afford to buy their own houses so dont need to fumble about in the back of a car... ;)
LMFAO!!!

Come on Rich theres nothing wrong with a bit of adventure!!!!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Frosty on 02 December 2003

" Mmmmm.... these leather seats are lurvvlyy..... whats it like in the back.....? "
Did you show her what it was like in the back? I bet the suspension got some use for once without the extra 3 degrees caster angle making a difference. ;)

LOL
Good to see my post has been taken just as it was intended.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Why didnt you buy a westfield or a radical racer if you wanted performance and no frills??!!!
Not really practical as an everyday car though...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

LOL

LMFAO!!!

But I get the option to do both... :D

"I got the Cup because of the performance advantage it has over the 172 (no arguments please - its quicker - I have proved this time and time again with all the 172s Ive met on the roads)"

YAWNNNNNNNNN, YAWNNNNNNNNNN. I wonder if people that will buy the new 04 CTR ( lighter flywheel, reworked suspension and lights and VTEC etc.. around .5 - .7 of a sec quicker 0-160kph than MY 03 ) go on to the CTR forum and b**ch and gloat and put down owners of MY 01, 02, 03 CTRs, with the "my cars faster than yours, better looking.." puddie arguments that we get on this Forum all the time. NO I think not.

FFS, The arguments we are getting on here lately are pathetic. This used to be a good forum too.....

Bye Bye

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 02 December 2003

you will find there are posts like that on the CTR forum.
On most car forums in fact...

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by rickyboy on 02 December 2003

Then why didnt you buy a nice Audi with leather seats??????
What kind of question is that?!! Why didnt you buy a westfield or a radical racer if you wanted performance and no frills??!!!

I bought my 172 because I wanted to, the same reason, I assume, why you bought yours!!

Why didnt you buy a westfield or a radical racer if you wanted performance and no frills??!!!
Not really practical as an everyday car though...

Thats the point I was trying to make ( to rickyboy)

A "nice Audi" is not a bargain hot hatch is it!!!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 02 December 2003

LOL

LMFAO!!!

But I get the option to do both... :D
Me too. I live at home with my parents, but Ive got the East Wing of the house all to myself.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 03 December 2003

Me too. I live at home with my parents, but Ive got the East Wing of the house all to myself.
Well, being a "poor boy" Cup owner I could only afford to buy my own house with a mere 3 bedrooms...

Sure all these 172 drivers have huge mansions they paid for in cash! ;)

Lagerlout1,
the point i was making was that if you wanted a comfort car then why not go for an Audi, and your point about buying a bargain hothatch well last time i looked the cup was cheaper than the 172 and quicker so does that not make it more of a bargain than your car, also i didnt want to buy a westfield because its hardly practical and i used to have an elise and the cup is like a limo after that, i am not having a pop mate but to me a hot hatch should be as hot as possible and its hardly as if a cup has no comforts e/w e/m cd radio, heating, again mate its all down to personal prefrence, i just find it odd when people talk about cups as if there stripped out race cars, they still do offer a good standard of comfort,

Cheers Rick

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 03 December 2003

Well, being a "poor boy" Cup owner I could only afford to buy my own house with a mere 3 bedrooms...

Sure all these 172 drivers have huge mansions they paid for in cash! ;)
Of course....

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by rickyboy on 03 December 2003

Lagerlout1,
the point i was making was that if you wanted a comfort car then why not go for an Audi, and your point about buying a bargain hothatch well last time i looked the cup was cheaper than the 172 and quicker so does that not make it more of a bargain than your car, also i didnt want to buy a westfield because its hardly practical and i used to have an elise and the cup is like a limo after that, i am not having a pop mate but to me a hot hatch should be as hot as possible and its hardly as if a cup has no comforts e/w e/m cd radio, heating, again mate its all down to personal prefrence, i just find it odd when people talk about cups as if there stripped out race cars, they still do offer a good standard of comfort,

Cheers Rick
IMHO the cup and 172 are both bargains.......... The Cup is a bargain for ist "bang per buck" and the 172 is a bargain for its specification. New car discount.com are selling new cups for £11,400 and new 172s for £12,500. If you look at the extras you get for £1100, the 172 looks a bit of a bargain aswell doesnt it?

I know the Cups are not stripped out racers, Ive driven one!! I was merely taking your point, that if I wanted luxury I should have bought an Audi, and applying it in the same context in relation to your Cup. Its the same as me saying, if you wanted performance, why not buy an M3 CSL??

Cheers,

Lager

Quote: Originally posted by scooby stu on 29 November 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 28 November 2003

There is nothing raw about a Cup. :confused: An Elise is raw.

Its all relative.......a Cup does seem a little on the raw side compared to a 172. Perhaps "raw" is the wrong word........the Cup seems more focused/has a harder "edge" than the 172, its out of the same mould as the mkI Golf GTI, 205, etc. Ive spent plenty of time driving Cup/172 back-to-back and theres no question the Cup has a little extra sparkle, although I accept that on the road youd be hard pushed to notice. Get them on the track though and theyre worlds apart.

I went for the Cup coz I wanted the best track car I could lay my hands on for bargain-basement money (also needed an element of day-to-day practicality). For driving thrills you dont need the toys.

I dont want to offend anyone.....obviously its a personal thing.........each to their own and all that.
Thats pretty much what I was saying, perhaps the words I should have used were Old school hot hatch which are more focused and harder edged than their newer counterparts.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Okay here is my opinion based on encounters with Cups and an extensive test drive.

The Cup has nothing on a 172 in a straigt line. The difference is so small a fly hitting the cups windscreen would make it loose.

You would have to be a pretty good/mental driver to see any difference handling wise between the cup and 172, ultimatly drivin by the same person the cup will handle better. But again the driving differences far outweigh the miniscule difference on the road, if I was going on track and I had the choice I would pick the Cup.

The cup looks better on the outside. The 172 sh*ts all over the cup on the luxuries of the interior.

The 172 sh*ts all over the cup as far as safety features are concerned.

The Cup wins on price. Thats a cheap price for a car as fast as it is, the 172 is still one of the most fullest featured cars with the performance to back it up.

The 182 appears from what we know to be going the way of the Golf... bigger engine, heavier and slower.

The CUP is over a second quicker 0-100. Thats a significant margin.

I doubt you could tell the difference sitting in a CUP interior compared to a 172. Can you really feel the difference between leather and cloth? My CUP has lovely Climate Control too.

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 03 December 2003

The CUP is over a second quicker 0-100. Thats a significant margin.

My CUP has lovely Climate Control too.
Its not going to be as quick as the original Cups then! Extra weight and belts hooked up to the engine to run it ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 03 December 2003

Its not going to be as quick as the original Cups then! Extra weight and belts hooked up to the engine to run it
Yup, theres an extra 25kg of weight there, plus the losses from the engine powering the system, so be somewhere in between the Cup & mk2 in performance.

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 03 December 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 03 December 2003

Its not going to be as quick as the original Cups then! Extra weight and belts hooked up to the engine to run it ;)
Yup, theres an extra 25kg of weight there, plus the losses from the engine powering the system, so be somewhere in between the Cup & mk2 in performance.
25 kg ?!!! Christ. How much lighter is the Cup compared to a mk2 172?

Lager

"the same as me saying, if you wanted performance, why not buy an M3 CSL??"

Wouldnt be seen dead in a Beema mate, much rather ave an Evo, but fair point, it all comes down to personal prefrence, shall we just leave it at that, there both quick cars that handle nice and are well very priced,,

Rick

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by rickyboy on 03 December 2003

Lager

"the same as me saying, if you wanted performance, why not buy an M3 CSL??"

Wouldnt be seen dead in a Beema mate, much rather ave an Evo, but fair point, it all comes down to personal prefrence, shall we just leave it at that, there both quick cars that handle nice and are well very priced,,

Rick
Good lad. Could not agree more.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

25 kg ?!!! Christ. How much lighter is the Cup compared to a mk2 172?
The Cup is 89kg lighter mate...