ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why do people on other car web sites LIE

I drive a Skoda Fabia vRS, I think its a great car, an excellent car that fits the bill perfectly, but when someone makes a remark which is blatently WRONG it really pulls my cheesy nutts.

What im referring to is this: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/t25496-not-really-a-race,-just-an-enthusiastic-drive.html">http://www.briskoda.net/forums/t25496-not-really-a-race,-just-an-enthusiastic-drive.html

If we can forget the obligotry skoda comments here, and try to stay on topic - HOW is it possible for a like this to keep up with a 172/182 - its a load of dog todd, my brother owns a 172 and until I had mine remapped he used to literally pull 10 car lenghts on me to a ton, now its remapped we are level, but he definately has a distinct advantage round corners - now bear in mind the guy writing that topic has a completely bog standard Fabia vRS I find it impossible to believe one could keep up, I know you get a "one off" every now and then but not where theres a 40 bhp difference and more importantly, nearly 300 kg in weight.

This topic goes further than just Fabia vRSs and the like, but to the Saxo forums who think they can keep up with Leon Cupra Rs etc with no mods and probably worse the Corsa lot who believe they can overtake a nuclear missile in full flight.

Does this sort of slander annoy anyone else? :cry:

Fiesta Zetec S (for sale)

Doesnt annoy me in the slightest TBH, bear in mind dude that this is the internet. Its funny as feck though.

It makes me laugh.

There is a classic post on one of the MG websites about a ZR or ZT where the bloke in all seriousness was posting about beating a Ferrari and a Porsche in a traffic light grand prix. He did add in brackets that it was in a traffic jam! PMSL I have this vision of him roaring off from the lights with a bemused Ferrari driver stuck nose to tail in traffic wondering what the f%%k is going on or even better the MG owners line of traffic moving faster than the ferraris with the MG owner looking over with a smug grin on his face as he passes him at 5mph! Its tragic!

Also on this topic. I regularly get passed by chavd up cars and (in particular) TDis when I dont even know Im racing. Like in a 30mph built up zone or at 40mph zone as they fly by me at 70mph and then slam on their brakes before racing off again!

And no derogatory Skoda comments from me. Any car that can be made to have 180+bhp and still do 40+mpg is a winner in my book. I think it looks great too. If only they did a recaro interior option....

let him believe himself, i had a little go against a vrs, he went ok for a bit but soon ran out puff (private track of course)

A lot of it depends on driver skill/risk taking to be honest.

I think most people on here would respect the Fabia vRS, but I doubt two skilled/risk taking drivers would see any other result than the Clio being quicker point to point.

Out of interest, does the re-map on the vRS really make that much difference? Ive seen an Autocar test with a Fabia vRS breaking below 8secs 0-60 and a very respectable 0-100 too. Perhaps that was slyly re-mapped prior to testing? Or is that normal?

quicker than most people will ever give them credit for, both chavyboy and mcbunny have a vrs, and both are very impressed with the car overall, once remapped should easily keep up with a 172/182 due to the endless amount of torque they produce

people should open their eyes

and, also, its not just other forums where people lie ;) this forum is rife with it

Remapped derv Golf

One of just got the better of a Cooper on the top gear track. 1:41 wasn;t it?

Mid range they must be pretty good. Even my friends TDI130 A3 is pretty good in gear.

I remember an Autoexpress test against the 182 CUP and the VRS was quicker once in motion. 30-70mph, etc

Off the line though? round corners? Not a chance! Not standard anyway. this guy is talking on a fast road once in motion. The vrs is fast there! No corners involved!

As standard their not even standard valver performance.

Its the massive torque that give them the good in gear times.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Not read the other post.

In my VTS with 130 bhp I can keep up with 172s fairly easy. And by keep up, unlike some people, I dont mean keep the car in sight. I mean within a car length, two at most.

Obviously with a long straight section of road the gap would increase.

Tbh, I hate it when people automatically think a car with more bhp would win.

Bhp/ton is what it is all about. That and gear ratios, driver skill, luck.

Yeah some keyboard warriors exaggerate. I dont. I dont really even like Saxos. Ive had a couple of encounters with 172s where Ive been all over their sorry ass. Yeah, probably due to the fact they dont know how to make the most of what they have.

I think when a lot of people compare cars speeds they assume both drivers have exactly equal skill. Never the case. The same driver will rarely hit the gears the same twice too or find the exact same line.

Interesting view on the vRS though. Im considering one of those as my next car, though Im more likely to go for a 172.

Heres this fella in the MGs post

To quote 180 boy, an owner of a Rover180 with Milenium Falcon like propulsion

(everything between the next two sets of lines is a quote)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well Kev, I know the answer to this one because I was there when you did this.

As for my scalps, please consider I live in Paris and they like the Diesel over here.
Mind you, they like to try there luck anyway.

Ferrari 350 (off the lights in a traffic jam in Paris)
Porsche 911 Turbo (off the lights in a traffic jam in Paris)
Audi TT’s both variants
Golf GTI’s
R5GTT’s
Peugeot
Renaults
Merc’s
BMW (they are a ****** pain in the bumper, you waist them they catch you up and still insist on more punishment ‘usually X5’s)
MG Z’s (way to much respect for each other, like shooting at your own troops)
Ford (sometimes its nice to humiliate people because I’ve had a bad day)
Loads of different motorbikes, there is a nice stretch of dual carriageway on my way home, both sides of it are protected with concrete barriers very long sweeping flat out in 4th right hander then it straightens for about 400 meters and flat out in 3rd left to right S bend change up to 4th flat out on exit. Not one of the bikes I’ve raced on this stretch has beat me yet, although on the exit they do pass me. (NOTE, I only do this in the very late hours on my way home from Paris when there are no other cars on the road).

180 Boy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: Originally posted by ChrisM on 01 April 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my scalps, please consider I live in Paris and they like the Diesel over here.

Audi TT’s both variants
Golf GTI’s
R5GTT’s
Peugeot
Renaults
Merc’s
BMW (they are a ****** pain in the bumper, you waist them they catch you up and still insist on more punishment ‘usually X5’s)
Loads of different motorbikes, there is a nice stretch of dual carriageway on my way home, both sides of it are protected with concrete barriers very long sweeping flat out in 4th right hander then it straightens for about 400 meters and flat out in 3rd left to right S bend change up to 4th flat out on exit. Not one of the bikes I’ve raced on this stretch has beat me yet, although on the exit they do pass me. (NOTE, I only do this in the very late hours on my way home from Paris when there are no other cars on the road).

180 Boy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

c**k

Nissan Jewk

LOL dreamer.... your rover can beat motorbikes? Maybe he means little 50cc scooters?

ex Clio 172 owner :(

He sounds like thathttp://web.ukonline.co.uk/gazfives/my_clio_rsi.htm GazFives guy whos Clio RSi can beat everything including Boxsters and Cossies. Funny though he admitted he couldnt beat a 16v or Willy.

I think most people see a fast car and go for it. The faster car pulls away slightly. The slower car is ragging his nuts off and therefore assumes the other car is too. Truth is hes proably not even noticed the slower car.

I wouldnt have thought a vRS would be with a 172/182 from 30-70 - perhaps 30-50 or 50-70, but not all the way.

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

Heres this fella in the MGs post<SPAN class=spnMessageText id=msg><FONT color=#000099 size=2>To quote 180 boy, an owner of a Rover180 with Milenium Falcon like propulsion</SPAN><FONT color=#000099 size=2>(everything between the next two sets of lines is a quote)

Audi TT’s both variants
Golf GTI’s
R5GTT’s
Peugeot
Renaults
Merc’s

180 Boy

100% TOTAL c**k!

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by Chris1.4RT on 01 April 2005

In my VTS with 130 bhp I can keep up with 172s fairly easy. And by keep up, unlike some people, I dont mean keep the car in sight. I mean within a car length, two at most.
Why not change youre forum name Chris?

black golf v6 4 motion

i dunno i had a blast with one (private track of course) in my megane from about 60 - 100 i was in fifth gear though and he pulled on me ever so slightly, dunno if it was re-mapped or what though but i was very suprised

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Chris1.4RT on 01 April 2005

Not read the other post.

Obviously with a long straight section of road the gap would increase.

Tbh, I hate it when people automatically think a car with more bhp would win.

Bhp/ton is what it is all about. That and gear ratios, driver skill, luck.

Yeah some keyboard warriors exaggerate. I dont. I dont really even like Saxos. Ive had a couple of encounters with 172s where Ive been all over their sorry ass. Yeah, probably due to the fact they dont know how to make the most of what they have.

I think when a lot of people compare cars speeds they assume both drivers have exactly equal skill. Never the case. The same driver will rarely hit the gears the same twice too or find the exact same line.

Interesting view on the vRS though. Im considering one of those as my next car, though Im more likely to go for a 172.
Flip side of the coin here, I had a blat against a VTS (had a zorst) a few weeks back and can concur with you. I managed to pull no more than about 3 or 4 car lengths from 50 ish upto a lot of revs in fifth. I had a boot full of golfing gear and a hefty passenger mind which probably just about evens up the bhp/ton..... And my 172 is probably a slow one.... but no way id I lose him. Typical blast through some twisty a roads between 40 and 90 and it would have been dead even. Quick little f**kers.

Onto the Vrs, my mates can stay with my 172 on a rolling start up to about 60. And then he gos backwards. Not really quick at all in standard form.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member

Audi TT’s both variants
Golf GTI’s
R5GTT’s
Peugeot
Renaults
Merc’s

180 Boy
makes me laugh when people say they beat bikes

when i had my bikes you would have people pull up to you and try to race but most times i wouldnt bother its a waste of time i could be doing 60 before they have even coverd 10 yards, the only thing that was close (not that close though) was a westfield with a fireblade engine

Embarrassed to say

Even if it is chipped its still a skoda. You could put a powerful v8 engine in a bedford van but at the end of the day its still a bedford van regardless of the performance.

Clio rs is a proper old school hot hatch with decent heritage. The name skoda says it all really. Why would any person want to buy a car with such a bad rep unless their married or a pensioner.

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Why do clio drivers pay such close attention to 0-60-0 figures?

Because they have to stop to pick up the bits that fell off!

Says it all really.....

Quote: Originally posted by cupsportmad on 01 April 2005
Even if it is chipped its still a skoda. You could put a powerful v8 engine in a bedford van but at the end of the day its still a bedford van regardless of the performance.Clio rs is a proper old school hot hatch with decent heritage. The name skoda says it all really. Why would any person want to buy a car with such a bad rep unless their married or a pensioner.

history skoda have a huge rally pedigree thank you very much.

as i have posted over there the vrs isnt as fast as the 172 but there again that doesnt really bother me :)
yes the remap makes a huge difference.

unfortunatly you can never be sure if someones giving it their all so random races can never be trusted as a real figure of acars performance

Embarrassed to say

Okay they got history but who knows it and who cares. Walk up to people on the street ask them what they think of a skoda and 90% of them will tell you their all sh*t.

Chop the roof off and you have a mobile skip with a chipped engine. Who cares if its quicker to get rubbish to the dump and it doesnt fall to bits whilst doing it. No one is going to give a toss if a skoda is quicker than any car. Its a poor mans volkswagen like a vx220 is a poor mans elise.

A skoda owner might say that they dont care what people think but nobody cares their in a skoda and nobody cares how quick they are period. People dont ever say "oh look at that lovely skoda driving past, what a lovely car".

all car forums including this one are the same in this respect. If people really think that they can judge the performance of their cars by what happens on the road, then they are sadly misguided.

I have driven a load of fast kit in my time. Latest being an Evo MR340 which is outrageously fast. Loads of people might think that because they out accelerated me from the lights/roundabout/sliproad/junction/straight road that their saxo/clio/skoda/ford/subaru/peugeot/porsche/ferrari/bmw must be faster...utter b****cks (thats not to say that some of them arent faster, but how can you tell when Im only using 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 throttle?).

Graham

Quote: Originally posted by cupsportmad on 02 April 2005

Okay they got history but who knows it and who cares. Walk up to people on the street ask them what they think of a skoda and 90% of them will tell you their (they are) all sh*t.

Chop the roof off and you have a mobile skip with a chipped engine. Who cares if its quicker to get rubbish to the dump and it doesnt fall to bits whilst doing it. No one is going to give a toss if a skoda is quicker than any car. Its a poor mans volkswagen like a vx220 is a poor mans elise.

A skoda owner might say that they dont care what people think but nobody cares their in a skoda and nobody cares how quick they are period. People dont ever say "oh look at that lovely skoda driving past, what a lovely car".
A little provocative and a stream of complete dribble. I guess you dont like Skodas. I guess Skoda owners arent kept up at night worrying about your opinion.

VX220 (iirc) IS a better car than an Elise.

You are right on one thing. No-one should give a toss.

You should always take these stories with a pinch of salt; leave it to the enthusiasts who go on track days to tell the truth!

Most people who boast on car forums race people who are really not racing them, for example, yesterday I had some bloke in an Astra on my bumper on a duel carriage way, when the car in front of me pulled over I overtook him, uphill going from about 60 to (a little bit faster ;)) this left the Astra a good 6 car lengths behind, I kept my speed once at the top of the hill and pulled into the inside lane, a minuet or so later the Astra came past (he must have been doing about 100) beeped his horn, pointed at my car and did the w**k gesture.

I did see red and wanted to go after him, but I really couldnt be bothered, the road was busy and Im attached to my licence (plus I have nothing to prove)...so is he now on a Vauxhall forum somewhere saying how he thrashed a 172?

Quote: Originally posted by cupsportmad on 02 April 2005

Okay they got history but who knows it and who cares. Walk up to people on the street ask them what they think of a skoda and 90% of them will tell you their all sh*t.

f**k me, not only a Renault driver, but a Renault Clio driver getting badge snobbery... get a life pal, Skodas a better built, better quality, better cars. So they may not be quite as fast, but are probably one of the best built super minis. I quite like em.

Quote: Originally posted by cupsportmad on 01 April 2005

Even if it is chipped its still a skoda. You could put a powerful v8 engine in a bedford van but at the end of the day its still a bedford van regardless of the performance.
And on this basis, you drive a Renault ;) a long way away from being good, let alone the greatest manufacturer. We all know Renaults are crap, thats why they cost pennies to buy, either new or 2nd hand.

Quote: Originally posted by clarkiev6 on 02 April 2005

pennies....yeah right!!
its an expression, the new clio can be had for around £6.5k iirc, which lets face it, is right amongst some of the worst in terms of price

yes your v6 costs more than most cars, but i wont make a comment on what i think with regards to that car

Embarrassed to say

You are misinformed if you think a vx220 is better than an elise. In all magazine tests the 111r and the exige have come out on top above the vxr and vxt220. See martin brundles review of the vxr in CAR, I say no more. VXt is a poor mans elise and as uncomprised as it is the vxr is still rubbish. Theres a reason why theres loads of vxrs hanging about in vauxhall showrooms even though they only built 60 of them, THE LOTUS EXIGE S2.

Skoda will always be a poor mans VW.:)

RS Clios have 3 year warranties so what is the problem, if something does go wrong you can get it fixed. An RS Clio is more fun than anything new under 20 grand and thats what its about at the end of the day. You worry about build quality because your getting on in years perhaps.

I admit it might be a tiny bit about badge snobbery but there are just some places you dont go. You have to draw the line somewhere (certainly not at grammatical errors surely). You dont drive a skoda if your young free and single period. Its like driving a moped or shagging a fat bird, its fun until your friends see you doing it then its embarrassing.

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 02 April 2005

dont worry Clarkie, couple more years and it will
PMSL. I agree. My mk1 v6 has haemorrhaged its residual value like a customer of Sweeney Todd! Still wouldnt want to have any other renault (not even mk2 v6).

Elise 111r and Series 2 Exige HAD to be better than the VX220t and VX220 because comparisons of the K-series engined elise to the vx220 werent favourable to Lotus (embarrassing as they had designer input into both cars)