ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why do people on other car web sites LIE

Irritates me a little, but I dont lose sleep over it. I was in a 3.2 Vectra GSi with Lozza_cup in the car, heading onto the M25 from Krispy Kremes in Enfield. Some t**ser in a V5 Bora was determined he was going to beat me despite the fact i wasnt "racing", and no matter how many times I let him rag the sh*te out of his VW and get level I was always able to floor it and leave him standing. Came off at South Mimms and he went to the extent of going round the outside of everyone and cutting in from the wrong lane to get in front... presumably he was trying to impress the fat-sl*g looking donut-munching bird in the passenger seat, but I imagine he was convinced he was quicker than the 200+bhp V6. Sad really.

Talking of GM/VXR models, the Astra VXR is gonna be awesome fun, 182s and 225s wont touch it IMO. Even the non-VXR 3 door turbo will be a clio-beater I reckon.

Embarrassed to say

Talking of the astra vxr its not even a 182 competitor, how can a heavy 1400kg astra be more fun than a 1100kg 182 cup. It wont be as good as the focus rs surely as they used the focus rs and civic type r as a benchmark. At around summer time the evo 9 will be here and barely used evo 8mr fq300/320/340 will be selling for peanuts, much better buys.

VXR corsa now that would be fun and something to dream about - lightweight turbo powered...zorst, induction, remap = huge power increase.

Quote: Originally posted by cupsportmad on 02 April 2005

Okay they got history but who knows it and who cares. Walk up to people on the street ask them what they think of a skoda and 90% of them will tell you their all sh*t.

Chop the roof off and you have a mobile skip with a chipped engine. Who cares if its quicker to get rubbish to the dump and it doesnt fall to bits whilst doing it. No one is going to give a toss if a skoda is quicker than any car. Its a poor mans volkswagen like a vx220 is a poor mans elise.

A skoda owner might say that they dont care what people think but nobody cares their in a skoda and nobody cares how quick they are period. People dont ever say "oh look at that lovely skoda driving past, what a lovely car".

Its all relative, if you roar off from a DB9 etc etc the driver is thinking much the same thing about your clio! That is if he has even noticed you!!

My pops has a occty vrs, i would love to get my hands under the bonnet of that, a GLF motor with a skoda badge adds to the appeal for me, proper comedy value.

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 01 April 2005

Out of interest, does the re-map on the vRS really make that much difference? Ive seen an Autocar test with a Fabia vRS breaking below 8secs 0-60 and a very respectable 0-100 too. Perhaps that was slyly re-mapped prior to testing? Or is that normal?
Yes, mine on the last RR day was running at 195 bhp and 323 lb/ft of torque, 0-60 as a guestimate is at 6.5

http://www.foundrometers.co.uk/pics/fabia/0-90.MOVhttp://www.foundrometers.co.uk/pics/fabia/0-90.MOV

^^

The day I got it remapped on a poor winters day, took first gear easy due to not knowing if the clutch would take it (since then ive found out it does). Not manically fast but just smooth...

I feared posting on here about a "Skoda" because quite a few people appear to be narrow minded and cant forget about a badge, at the end of the day its a VW rebadged, admittadly at the bottom end of the scale like the Seat Ibiza is, but it still is well built, quick (especially after remapping), good handling after you spend £60 on the Seat Sport Strut Brace and spacious for a car in its class. I think it is unfair to compare a 172/182 to a vRS, they are different type of cars aimed at a different sector, even though they are both classed as superminis, which brings us full circle onto my point that why is the guy on briskoda claiming he beat one? tis a joke...

BMW 120i Sport

The VRS shouldnt be underestimated; ive been saying for ages now that im very impressed by modern diesels and probably as an everyday drive itll be a lot more useable in and around town than the RS Clio. Clearly after a remap, it has excellent performance on a straight line sprint.

Lets see some lap times though! ;).

However, I have to dispel the myth of "it has VAG build quality" because the Skodas certainly arent on par with VW and not even close to Audi. They are decently screwed together, but that beige/black of the VRS is absolutely hideous. Seats are the same with their hard rattling plastics and dull as dishwater dashboards.

MKIII 138

HellFires VRS is actually slightly quicker to 100 than my 172MKII (i have a few basic mods i.e lighter wheels + panel filter) above that we havent really ventured.

but one thing is true, its topend speed is actually higher than the 137 the 172 does. its read 150mph now. but speedo error maybe 144mph. i usually find a cars top speed gives a general indication as to its performance potencial.. in that instance id say its faster in a straight line better built, get some good comments (and hidden admiration) but as for corners well my konid 172 would most probably eat it but not by much.. TBH unless were talking track and not driving like a dick head on uk roads. so its a very decent economical car for a decent price and well built + cheap to insure.

((still a skoda but i think most people apart from car snobs are comming around to their VFM factor))

Yaris Hybrid

These conversations where you get someone saying the Elise is better than a VX, the Impreza is better than an Evo etc really crack me up. You hear it in pubs and you hear it on internet forums but the bottom line is that the people who are saying this stuff are just a bunch of numptys who havent driven either car, will never be able to afford either car and they all switch off their PCs or walk out of the pub and climb into the Novas and Clios etc!!!!

I also do not believe that people in general think Skodas are rubbish anymore. Most people I know consider them to be just as good as Seats or VWs.

Then you get the bandits who hijack a convo where someone is comparing two cars by coming out with a load of completely irrelevant off the wall crap about how they know someone who spent a few grand tuning one of the cars and it would blow the other away! Like that means anything, like we all want to tune our cars and watch the fast and the furious every evening and like the other car cant tuned as well!!!

Talking of the astra vxr its not even a 182 competitor, how can a heavy 1400kg astra be more fun than a 1100kg 182 cup. It wont be as good as the focus rs surely as they used the focus rs and civic type r as a benchmark. At around summer time the evo 9 will be here and barely used evo 8mr fq300/320/340 will be selling for peanuts, much better buys.

VXR corsa now that would be fun and something to dream about - lightweight turbo powered...zorst, induction, remap = huge power increase.
Maybe because itll have a turbo strapped on, putting out 240bhp?! The 170bhp 5 door is a fun car to drive, and the new spec non-VXR turbo lump is 200bhp - all running 6 speed boxes and with a sport button that sharpens throttle response and road-holding/cornering. They really are a nice car to drive, Im looking forward to getting my paws on a VXR to try out.

Corsa VXR would be nice as well, but I wasnt that impressed with the 1.8 SRI so it wont be too hard to beat.

Have driven vx220 and elise. Didnt like either of them. You have to be the amazing rubber man to get in and out of them. The performance wasnt that special. Neither was the engine note. I also dont like convertibles or being shaken around like a can of paint so the writing was on the wall.

It said KEEP THE V6 YOU FOOL

ITB'd 172 POPTART

But there was no need to worry as I covered the next 6 miles a damn sight quicker than the Clio !!

^^^^^ ROFL WHAT A c**k END^^^^^^

*From That Website Posted On First Page*

Bikes are Rapid mate!!!!!

Elise/VX220/R26

Thats the thing with the internet, its very easy for someone to sit and type something about beating a car, maybe they arent that clued up and might think theyve beat a car when if they had known about it they would realise that the other driver probably was just on a run to the shops or something. Like today I was following an R32, coming round a roundabout I got a bit more momentum and kept with him, but by the time we got to 60 I could tell hed eased off because I was catching him up, now some knob jockey might have read that situation as "I thrashed an r32 today"

Trouble with the net is that idiots who post stuff like that cant see us all laughing at him like he would if he said it sat round a table at the pub!

strange conversation, two different cars,if you want a hot hatch,you dont buy a skoda diesel! its good at what it does,thats it. as for the vts, its fast, but 172! nah.

Quote: Originally posted by jh172 on 03 April 2005

strange conversation, two different cars,if you want a hot hatch,you dont buy a skoda diesel! its good at what it does,thats it. as for the vts, its fast, but 172! nah.
I agree with the two different cars jobbie, but bear in mind I get 90% of the overall performance of a acclaimed "hot hatch" such as a 172/182 and I dont see why my car is not comparable. I do agree in a standard format it isnt, however once remapped (JabbaSport custom remap £380 on a group buy) and I get performance on a par with much faster cars so I cant see why it shouldnt be classed as a "hot hatch"?

Or are we basing a hot hatch purely on the basis of a track time and not real world driving conditions, or is it simply because its a diesel? in which case id stop and have a look at the new BMW 535D :)

P.S. Its also only group 9 on the insurance...

been in a 535,great car like the skoda, but its not the same, they run out off puff too soon, feels fast around town,but when the road opens up........

Okay they got history but who knows it and who cares. Walk up to people on the street ask them what they think of a skoda and 90% of them will tell you their all sh*t.

Chop the roof off and you have a mobile skip with a chipped engine. Who cares if its quicker to get rubbish to the dump and it doesnt fall to bits whilst doing it. No one is going to give a toss if a skoda is quicker than any car. Its a poor mans volkswagen like a vx220 is a poor mans elise.

A skoda owner might say that they dont care what people think but nobody cares their in a skoda and nobody cares how quick they are period. People dont ever say "oh look at that lovely skoda driving past, what a lovely car".
vxx220 is a poor mans elise?? errrr yeh woteva, how about VXR220 game over...

People, dont lie, they just talk bo((ocks, as they know no better. Just look at you lot. Good job we all come here for peoples unadulterated, uninformed, enjoyable sh*te :))