ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why do so many people on here not rate the Clio?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
If Luke was also looking for Photography advice he probably trusts the advice on here, he knows who to listen to and who not to. No doubt he's seen great examples of their work, pro or amateur.

On a Photography forum just like diving onto detailing world you don't know who to listen to or what's right and what's wrong.

Call it comfort but when I was asking questions about the TT of course I joined the TT forum and it's brilliant I must say but who helped me more than anyone? Russ. That to me says it all.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
Picture1s.jpg

fyi, all non clio related topics in "whats new" im not sure it really is a clio forum any more lol

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm amazed at your opinion Chip.

Like Luke says, there's a million other things on here to look at other than "just" Clio's.

I stick around for quite a few reasons:

Detailing
Gym
Photography
BMW advice
Helping out members with issues I've had in the past or offering a hand etc.

It's not just a place for Clio's, it's a club of enthusiasts, a lot of who share the same interests as me. I value advice on all of the above from people I "know" or actually know IRL now all because of this place. Photography for instance, I can ask whatever, and be helped, rather than have some yank tell me I've bought the wrong camera. Or gym, without going on some meathead forum I can be given decent advice from guys who really know their stuff!

I'll be coming back to Clio's at some point no doubt too, but that's not why I stick around.

I'm also flattered that Laura thinks we're friends. :eek:

Oh and I realise my reply may be a little late, but I started typing then ended up on a conference call for half hour.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
In here late but, I think it's because people in here are realistic about their cars capabilities. They aren't a bad car, but they do have their downsides which people don't try to hide.

then there's the clique who've moved on to bigger, better and quicker cars, so the clio is a little shed compared

... Just my two penneth

Megane r26
I've stuck with clios since 2009, owned a 172, 197 an now I currently own a trophy. The main thing that attracts me to them is the fact there fairly practical as well as not being to bad when it comes to the performance side of things. I'm coming up to 24 now with 6 years ncb so there fairly cheap to insure to which is a bonus.

Good Points for me

*Great mpg
*Fairly comfy on journeys for a small car an has all the mod cons i'd want
*Nimble handling for a litte motor
*Good straightline pace for a small motor
*Fairly Cheap to repair (i'm a mechanic so do it myself)
*Pretty reliable too for what it is (a Renault haha)

Bad Points
*Can be awkward to repair at times
*Parts can sometimes be pricey

Theres many other performance cars I could afford to own m3, evo's etc but I wouldn't have much of a social life with running costs no doubt. I can afford to tinker with the clio, do track days and a annual trip to the ring with the clio an still run my house an have a pretty good social life because theres more to life then cars to me.

As for the whole forum thing being marque specific, well I suppose it is an it isn't thats the whole point of the sub sections. If I want to read about clios I can, if I want to read about sport I can and if I'm after advice on other matters theres usually someone to help which I think is great. An also theres alot of people on here I consider be on the same "wave length" were all car fans. Don't get me wrong I have friends into cars but always nice to get other opinions, ideas an advice.

Last edited:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Variety and diversity, of both cars and members (and their careers/expertise/characters) is why I'd hang around regardless of what car I own.

I'm sure I could get info. on M3 ownership from a BMW forum, but I'd have to register first, introduce myself blah blah blah. On here, Sir_Dave is pretty much always available and responds promptly.

As do most others on just about any subject you could think of.

This place is so much more than a Clio forum.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
It's because 106 owners and saxP are full of 16 year olds who haven't had anything but 106's and saxo's. it's a variant on this forum, there are a lot of members who own other cars than clio's or have experienced more cars and have come to realise that there are better cars than clio's. I don't think anyone on here who currently owns or has previously owned a RS clio and can say they are rubbish though.
They are great cars.

you hear the phrase a lot "it's not worth doing" a lot because as someone previously said, a lot of the tuning options for the f4r have been tried and tested, and they are simply just not worth doing. It's not a good engine to tune at all really. If you don't like clio's out the box it's never really going to be the car for you, and a lot of people have learnt that the hard way by pumping more than the value of the car on things like RS2 and ITB's with no real significant gain to make the £££ spent worth while.

This.

Sax-p especially is a joke of a forum.

Megane r26
Tbh I also find this forum fairly friendly compared to other forums. As for sax-p it really is a bit naff, I was a member a few years ago when saxo's still had some value, now there worth sod all its full of kids! Exception of a few members.

This forum still seems to get a few young members but I think its the insurance costs that keeps the chavs away (not that all young kids are chavs)

2x 172 cups
Only been here a few months, with no real experiece on clio's.
Only thing i have to offer on this topic, is that i have had quite alot of cars, joined many forums and this is one of the most imformative forums with a sense of humour thrown in!!
As a car goes my 172 cup is only a toy and not my daily driver !
But i rate it so well that the wife has one too,
I do track days and have out paced a Exige, Noble, and elise around cadwell,
I have owned a EXIGE S which i did trackday so do understand the brilliance of these!!!

The Clio is a brilliant package that can give all pockets great enjoyment and a big smile.
:clap:

Monaco blue 172
People don't like change on here. Either be a sheep and follow the big boys or f**k off.

Thats the attitude on here I see, if you do something different then it's wrong. Never always the case though.

Who are 'the big boys' exactly? There seems to be a fair few inferiority complexes in this thread. Stand up and be counted, rather than moaning about the clique etc.

I stick around here because it's a good crack, and I couldn't really give a monkeys who likes it or doesn't like it. Chip included. With all due respect of course :)

53 Clio's & counting
If Luke was also looking for Photography advice he probably trusts the advice on here, he knows who to listen to and who not to. No doubt he's seen great examples of their work, pro or amateur.

On a Photography forum just like diving onto detailing world you don't know who to listen to or what's right and what's wrong.

Call it comfort but when I was asking questions about the TT of course I joined the TT forum and it's brilliant I must say but who helped me more than anyone? Russ. That to me says it all.

:eek: <3

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Who are 'the big boys' exactly? There seems to be a fair few inferiority complexes in this thread. Stand up and be counted, rather than moaning about the clique etc.

I stick around here because it's a good crack, and I couldn't really give a monkeys who likes it or doesn't like it. Chip included. With all due respect of course :)

My hats off to you sir. Winds me up no end when people spell it 'the Irish way'

completely irrelevant to this discussion but I felt I had to share that

Clio 172 RS2
People don't like change on here. Either be a sheep and follow the big boys or f**k off.

Thats the attitude on here I see, if you do something different then it's wrong. Never always the case though.

Sheep!? Sheep in wolvesclothing if you ask me.
Imho the Clio RS is very good out of the Dieppe factory.

Bang for buck! So why invest more other then the obvious parts everyone upgrades.
Airfilter, tyres, exhaust, rims, splitter etc.

Oh and being dutch this forum is so much better then the dutch ones.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I think the crux of it is that we are helping people on this forum (and laughing at a select few), and telling people that a Clio is far better than it really is will only lead to disappointment at having spent a few thousand pounds on advice which simply wasn't true.

So often you see people who go looking for a car for one reason (speed, handling, comfort, toys, economy, reliability, insurance, loadspace, cost e.t.c.), go and buy a car which excels at that one thing, and then realise that it's not very good at all the others. The Clio isn't earth shattering at any one of the above, but it is pretty good at all of them.

Monaco blue 172
A lot of decent people on here. But still as I said earlier it's just usual forum mentality of do it the same as everyone else or we don't want to see, then just causes negativity about people's cars when in reality there's nothing done wrong. Just the fact it's not the usual seen on CS.

Ph2 1.6 5 door
i dig the place primarily because i'm digging the clio...and on this forum, there is still attention paid to those of us with non-sports.
on other forums you're made to feel worthless if you have a non-sport version

it's not anywhere near as common, or as cheap a car in australia...it's refreshing to see that people do care about these cars

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Not sure on that, Ive only been on here just over a year but am made to feel very welcome, and Ive done everything my own way and not done any following at all (well other than the eibachs and turinis on the mrs car, lol)

Ive not really experienced that either TBH, other than a couple of users telling me that I should have 438s and a standard inlet instead of an RS2 and 197 cams, despite the fact Ive driven examples of both and know which I personally prefer so its a bit pointless trying to convince me against my own firsthand experience, but thats literally only a few idiots out of several thousand users so I certainly wouldnt take it as being the view of the forum.

Mind you, I'm possibly a poor example as Im a lot more experienced than the vast majority of users on here so am far less likely to take criticism as harshly as I already know myself what works or not, so maybe it feels different to someone who doesnt have that confidence in their own decisions in the first place and gets people telling them they have done something wrong?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You've told me I'm wrong about 70 times!!!!

Can't complain though as I usually am lol

If something has a right and wrong answer than being told you are wrong is very useful to you, thats someone doing a favour not them having a go.

When its a matter of opinion thats different of course, but if its black and white then whenever anyone is corrected they should be grateful not offended IMHO, which I always am myself when someone teaches me something.

Monaco blue 172
Not sure on that, Ive only been on here just over a year but am made to feel very welcome, and Ive done everything my own way and not done any following at all (well other than the eibachs and turinis on the mrs car, lol)

Ive not really experienced that either TBH, other than a couple of users telling me that I should have 438s and a standard inlet instead of an RS2 and 197 cams, despite the fact Ive driven examples of both and know which I personally prefer so its a bit pointless trying to convince me against my own firsthand experience, but thats literally only a few idiots out of several thousand users so I certainly wouldnt take it as being the view of the forum.

Mind you, I'm possibly a poor example as Im a lot more experienced than the vast majority of users on here so am far less likely to take criticism as harshly as I already know myself what works or not, so maybe it feels different to someone who doesnt have that confidence in their own decisions in the first place and gets people telling them they have done something wrong?

I basically know nobody so probably taking stuff to heart a tad more than needed lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I basically know nobody so probably taking stuff to heart a tad more than needed lol

Ive got a golden rule with forums, if there is ANY possibility to take something said to me two ways, I take it as being the fun friendly joking way rather than the nasty way.
Makes any forum a lovely place to be, some people seem to do it the other way around, and look to be offended, that must make reading a forum pretty unpleasant.

Cant actually remember any time Ive ever been upset by anything Ive read on a forum TBH

PB Clio 172
Maybe we are just honest on CS

Compare the Renaultsport to a 106 or sax and the Renaultsport is miles better in every way possible. Before people say it I have driven both cars and own a 172

PB Clio 172
Maybe we are just honest on CS Compare the Renaultsport to a 106 or sax and the Renaultsport is miles better in every way possible. Before people say it I have driven both cars and own a 172

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Maybe we are just honest on CS Compare the Renaultsport to a 106 or sax and the Renaultsport is miles better in every way possible. Before people say it I have driven both cars and own a 172

106 wins on weight and on agility.

I'll not be swapping to one though!

It's hardly "miles better in every way possible" though is it lol - the 106/saxo are much better handling cars in standard form and arguably more fun

But anyway this wasn't really meant to be a 106/saxo vs clio thread - there's a million of them already!