ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why do so many people on here not rate the Clio?

Love mine. It gets the TLC it needs and has served me really well - including some epic journeys and trips out. The 182 simply ticks so many boxes, that I think it's a cracking little all-rounder.

I also think that there's something quite special about the 2.0litre N/A engine. It's a dying breed - what with everyone in this market segment switching to forced induction. It's type will unlikely to be seen again.

D.

That's the main reason I've kept mine - with all the euro emissions crap these days the only way to make a quick car is boosted. It's one of the last big engined N/A french hatchbacks.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Simply not true, if I had the time I'd pull out some quotes, but things like "It's not a very good engine to start with" are thrown around quite a lot aswell as people saying there are much better cars for the money.

Maybe it's just the impression I get because I mainly talk to the same group of people on here - but to say it's a stupid thread is a bit harsh.

As for the argument that £2k bodies on a £2k car is not as appealing as £2k bodies on a £6k car... I'd say the opposite - you can build a 200bhp Clio these days for £5k including the car - 3 years ago you couldn't have bought the car for that much... surely that should make it more appealing?

I think the comment may be "it's not a very good engine to tune", not what "it's not a very good engine to start with". Perhaps stupid was a bit harsh, but it just seems to be a comment of someone who doesn't take in all they read on here and just glances over comments.

I honestly believe you'd struggle to find any genuine negative comments about the Clio's, when compared with something else, maybe, but not often of the same category or price.

I can see what you're saying re: price of the cars and modifications , but the other way to look at it is that you could buy the car twice to make it a little faster, which is mental to some. Most would rather just buy a 4k car!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Simply not true, if I had the time I'd pull out some quotes, but things like "It's not a very good engine to start with" are thrown around quite a lot

In terms of the standard performance the engine is quite good for a factory 2.0 from 10 years ago, but its not easy to expand greatly on that performance as the engine isnt well designed in that respect (rockers that limit revs, rod ratio that isnt good for revs, bore/stroke ratio that isnt good for revs).

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Lols. I think people are just realistic mate. They are stunningly good cars but at the same time they are a cheap French Hot Hatchback. I've always said it, bang for buck they are almost unbeatable.

+2 you cant beat a french hot hatch

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I find that the people that belittle them have moved onto other marque's yet still stay on the forum anyway.

Seems weird when people get to the stage they dont want a clio again, and still hang around on a clio forum.

I can understand people hanging around if they dont have one at the moment but are planning on having one in the future etc or are still really interested in them, but if you know for sure you arent going to be buying one again it seems weird to hang around on a forum dedicated to them just to tell people you dont want one, lol

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
alot of people on here are friends in real life though, so its more of a social gathering point

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
It was actually shopping trolley to slightly smaller shopping trolley.

I love the clio's tbh. So much so that I can certainly see myself buying another later in the year.

There are people on here that joined years and years ago with a 1.2 or similar and have never owned a "Renaultsport" Model and still stick around just for the other marques & GC.

This forum has alot to offer, but it also has alot of crap to sieve through.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
alot of people on here are friends in real life though, so its more of a social gathering point

To me it seems weird to have to read posts about clios just to talk to people are already your friend even if the way you first became friends was on a forum. Surely there are lots of better ways of talking to friends than that, for example personally I use things like facebook, text, email, phone, pub etc for chatting to my existing friends.

182 Turbo
I'd say this is one of the least "dedicated" car forum there is. Although its clio orientated as Laura said, it's more of a social gathering point.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
The Clio sport is the best fast hatch I've ever driven and I've driven a lot. There's a lot of keyboard warriors on here who think they will be driving enzo's in 6 months. They won't and they will still be here in 3 years time and struggle to get another car as good as the Clio.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
To me it seems weird to have to read posts about clios just to talk to people are already your friend even if the way you first became friends was on a forum. Surely there are lots of better ways of talking to friends than that, for example personally I use things like facebook, text, email, phone, pub etc for chatting to my existing friends.

So basically, you think we're all cnut's? :(

It's a good forum, i enjoy it. I should have probably mentioned the majority of people that move away from Renault Sport ownership generally come back anyway. Even if Luke is a gay blade x

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

But you don't have to read about Clios all day, GC and GA and Other Marques etc.

I could find out quicker on ehre about a BMW or any Vag car than I could on any specific forum. That's a fact.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So basically, you think we're all cnut's? :(

Not all of you mate, some are and some arent I would imagine, just the same sort of percentage as you would find anywhere else really.

It's a good forum, i enjoy it. I should have probably mentioned the majority of people that move away from Renault Sport ownership generally come back anyway. Even if Luke is a gay blade x

Like I said before, if people still have an interest in a clio and are likely to get one in the future then it seems very likely to me that the forum would interest them still even though they dont own one currently.
I always tend to view single make forums as being aimed at enthusiasts of that marque as it gives you a good resource to find out more about that marque whether they have one or not, rather than specifically an owners only forum.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I always tend to view single make forums as being aimed at enthusiasts of that marque as it gives you a good resource to find out more about that marque whether they have one or not, rather than specifically an owners only forum.

I think that's where you're wrong about CS, it's also a club as Admin will tell you. I'm not saying it still isn't a marque specific site, of course it is but CS has moved with the times and the members have moved with it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
But you don't have to read about Clios all day, GC and GA and Other Marques etc.

With such a large percentage of the posts are about clios, if those dont interest you then surely all that other stuff you can get far easier on pistonheads or similar without having to dodge all the clio content?
Dont get me wrong Im sure there isnt a forum in the world that I wouldnt find a single thread on that interests me, even a knitting forum or something else I have no interest in, but I wouldnt go and hang around on one just for the off topic, I'd go and pick one where the on topic interested me too.

I could find out quicker on ehre about a BMW or any Vag car than I could on any specific forum. That's a fact.

You'll get VW info far quicker on vortex, and BMW info far quicker on passionford, lol

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I, along with many others, barely use the forum as a Clio resource nowadays - I barely look at anything car related! I just spend my life spamming GC, lol.

I'm a member of loads of other forums due to cars I've had in the past, but nothing is as good social wise as CS.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
LMFAO I must admit I have never got the thing about staying on a forum cos mates are on it - that's what facebook is for

I guess it depends how busy your social life is in the first place, my day would have to be pretty empty though before I went and hung around on a forum that's core subject is something I wasnt even interested in just hoping the off topic stuff could fill my day, your life would need to pretty empty I would have thought before things go that desperate, but we are all different of course so I can only say from my own perspective, I struggle to keep upto date with the friends I already have so I guess thats why it doesnt seem so vital to be making more by hanging around on a forum that doesnt interest me.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Meh, I just click 'What's New' and see if anything interests me.

Made some good mates through 'clio scene' (lol), many of which don't have FB.

Real life scares me, you know how quiet and reserved I am Chip ;)

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i hate facebook, i couldnt give a s**t what someone had for lunch, for example Rob, hes not on my facebook id say he was a mate of sorts, he owns my old car and has a really ace thread about it on here, its things like that. Stuff you cant get on facebook, on the phone or in text messages

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i hate facebook

Facebook is full of YOUR friends though? So why on earth would you hate it?

for example Rob, hes not on my facebook id say he was a mate of sorts, he owns my old car and has a really ace thread about it on here, its things like that. Stuff you cant get on facebook, on the phone or in text messages
Even that seems a pretty tenuous link to hang around a forum all day, just on the off chance that you can once a month read something about an old car you had, surely with the internet full of anything and everything there must be something you can find to talk about more relevant to your current life and friends than that?

Obviously your life though so entirely upto you how you spend it, as Ive said Im only giving my own perspective.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I like the 1*2's , it's a good value-for-money package with enough power for a daily, without being uneconomical or a diesel.

Clio for the week, Caterham for the weekend.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Meh, I just click 'What's New' and see if anything interests me.

Made some good mates through 'clio scene' (lol), many of which don't have FB.

Fair enough mate, just seems a pretty inefficient way to communicate with a few people, having to sift through a clio site on the off chance you bump into one of them in an off topic thread, surely if you are friends with them you could just swap numbers, hell you even have mine, so feel free to phone and listen to my answering machine sometime if you are really lonely.

Real life scares me, you know how quiet and reserved I am Chip ;)

TBH mate its hard for me to judge, pretty much everyone is quiet and reserved compared to me, FLOL

renault clio 182
Coming from 106 owners a few years ago too I know what you mean but I love my Clio only get frustrated when it breaks still love it tho

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Meh, I spend enough time trying to rationalise being a part of a car club that I no longer own the type of car to my girlfriend, so can't be bothered doing so rationalise it with another member.

I use it for GC
Photograhy
Detailing
Other marques/GA
Something clio related

In that order. There's a whole wealth of knowledge on this forum from people that, and I know to some folk this is hard to grasp, isn't related to clio's.

It's really not hard to see why people stick around.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure if you're genuinely trolling or not Chip. I feel pretty lucky that i'm not on Facebook and I have umpteen mobile numbers of people on here who if they didn't live a very long way away I would see no doubt on a weekly basis.

Who says that Clios don't interest those without one? Even Fenn probably still looks at some Clios that are maybe different from the norm or some track ones. I think Fenn actually got rid of his Clio before he even joined here. There is a guy thousands of miles away in Dubai that still posted on here, not even sure if he still had his 182!

You don't frequent any other marque specific forums Chip?

Oh and come on, have you seen the Pistonheads forum? Utterly brilliant with the idea but my God how terrible does that look. No structure at all.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Meh, I spend enough time trying to rationalise being a part of a car club that I no longer own the type of car to my girlfriend, so can't be bothered doing so rationalise it with another member.

I use it for GC
Photograhy
Detailing
Other marques/GA
Something clio related

In that order. There's a whole wealth of knowledge on this forum from people that, and I know to some folk this is hard to grasp, isn't related to clio's.

It's really not hard to see why people stick around.

Surely for things like photography and detailing though, you would be better off on a photography forum or detailing world etc if those are things that specifically interest you? At least then it would be detailing of a much more varied selection of cars, sure there are other cars on here too, but its still very clio biased.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
That's where you're wrong. I find both those subforums on CS to be a FAR better resource than the dedicated forums that I'm part of.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm not sure if you're genuinely trolling or not Chip.

You make me sound like Mace, lol

I feel pretty lucky that i'm not on Facebook
Not sure what is lucky about that TBH, I find it a really useful address book even if me or my mates change phone numbers etc and its also quite a good photo album, I dont go on it much TBH, but its still useful to have I reckon so I cant see whats so good about not having it?

Who says that Clios don't interest those without one?

Not me mate, like I said I view sites like this as a clio enthusiast site rather than a clio owners site, so if you are still interested in getting one in the future etc it makes lots of sense to keep upto date with what people are doing with them etc.

You don't frequent any other marque specific forums Chip?
Yes mate, several of them, but all for cars I own, I dont go on any reguarly for any car that I no longer own, although like I have said I would do if I was interested in buying one again perhaps.

Oh and come on, have you seen the Pistonheads forum? Utterly brilliant with the idea but my God how terrible does that look. No structure at all.
Have seen a few threads linked to it etc but am not a user myself as I tend to spend time on car forums that are more directly relevant to me, its easier to help people learn about their car when its one Im very familiar with myself than it would be on a more general forum, and its helping others learn things that is my biggest motivator for logging onto car forums (followed by me learning about them myself which even on here I still do occasionally from people like Fred or Danlp6 etc who have a more intimate knowledge of these cars from working on them for so long)

I would agree with the realistic ownership base.

The Clio was the first fast car I had and first time I drove it the power was a revelation. Then you get used to it, manage it, and eventually the power is no longer exciting.

I appreciate what a great little car it is, but the reality is there are faster things out there. Despite that, in 95% of road situations it's fast enough and it's certainly characterful enough to keep you entertained.

Bang for buck it's spot on. But in the wider context they aren't hugely fast at circa 150bhp/t.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think "nippy" is a better description than fast.

Certainly they would be of no interest to anyone who wants to race people down a dual carriageway etc unless there were really short on options, lol

Also I'm never leaving. Other marques is informative and detailing and photography you get prompt realistic answers.

Also the chat here is better than elsewhere. For the vx I browse for knowledge but never for banter :)