ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why is my MPG so low?

Hey, I have a 1.2 16v and only seem to be averaging around 39mpg on a long run (it's a 50 pretty much all the way). This is my commute to work so there is no heavy right foot involved as I want to spend as little money to get to work and back, just a nice smooth drive there and back

Cheers

Ph2 172
What year 1.2 do you have? I'm currently running around in a ph2 1.2 and I'm regularly seeing 45mpg+ on my steady commute (certainly more than my 172 on the same run)

Ph2 172
Mines a 53. Doesn't sound too low really. Mpg can be affected by number of things. Weather/road conditions etc. Are your tyres the correct pressure? boot full? Has it been serviced?

Mines a 53. Doesn't sound too low really. Mpg can be affected by number of things. Weather/road conditions etc. Are your tyres the correct pressure? boot full? Has it been serviced?

Ahh cheer! Well tyres are correct pressure, serviced about 3 months ago. Boot had a vibe CBR 10" subwoofer but this was in my old clio that got better mpg. Does the pre cat sensor affect mpg on 1.2's?

Edit: I should also add my coilpack died and I had a new one fitted however it was dying for around 1 month. Could all of the unburnt fuel being dumped into the cat effect it?

Ph2 172
Yeah a faulty o2 sensor or coilpack would affect it. Are they working now? checked your spark plugs? Ever been changed? and are they the correct ones fitted

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
39 is pretty decent for a 1.2 16v. Have you noticed getting less miles from a tank, or just going by the dash? if you're genuinely getting less, then have the brakes looked at. If they're dragging it will hurt your economy

Yeah a faulty o2 sensor or coilpack would affect it. Are they working now? checked your spark plugs? Ever been changed? and are they the correct ones fitted

Yes coilpack is fine now. Also the sparks was replaced 3 months ago (when it was serviced). Spark plugs are NGK and are the correct ones for my car. Cheers for the help btw.

Low and Slow 1.4 16v
I'd be happy with 39mpg from a 1.2 16v. My 1.4 16v only gets 34mpg average and i have never seen it above 38 on a long motorway run.

Toyota Paseo
That is surprisingly low, my 1.6 16v get an average of 40 combine run. I've even managed 43 mpg before too.

FF Clio 182
My 16v 1.2 I was filling up £50 so about 37 litres and was getting 250! What works out about 30mpg! It was a combination of heavy right foot but mainly faulty lambda sensor!

My 1.2 16v only averages 23mpg un town and around 33 on a run, was serviced 3 months ago, got correct plugs and oil. Any ideas as to why its so low? Not got a heavy left foot as its only a 1.2 also no faults showing.

Its a 51 plate

Cheers Scott