ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why members don’t attend meets?

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
After attending three car meets on Sunday, a breakfast meet at The Halfway Kelvedon, Essex Car Meets at Lamborghini Chelmsford and Essex Ford Meet at the wings North Weald I only meet one other Clio a Trophy like mine. We spent a sunny afternoon talking about our cars. Nice to see Mat over the Wings Cafe.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Meets are what you make them. We used to have people that organise interesting ones, and people would attend en mass.

I've been to some great ones over the years, but when I look back, the good ones were never just stood in a car park somewhere.

If people got back to doing things like bowling, BBQ's, sunday roasts, camping, or similar, then I'm sure people would attend. I know this means places can often be limited, but so what, first come, first served.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
After attending three car meets on Sunday, a breakfast meet at The Halfway Kelvedon, Essex Car Meets at Lamborghini Chelmsford and Essex Ford Meet at the wings North Weald I only meet one other Clio a Trophy like mine. We spent a sunny afternoon talking about our cars. Nice to see Mat over the Wings Cafe.
These ones specifically ? Were they posted on here ?

As for 'local' ones.. they're either too far in the future and no one remembered it was on, or they're tomorrow and people have plans already, so you can't win.

Tags don't seem to work any more on here, and I don't think anyone looks in the local sections.

I did try setting up monthly ones as if people knew it was say, the first Wednesday of each month, it might make things easier but evidently not. Threads kept getting derailed with 'why don't we go here or do this at another time' and it just falls to pieces.

Depends what time it is tbh, if it's 8am on a Sunday I'm not coming as I need a lye in!!

I've been to my fair share in the past, and not even just local ones (Portsmouth, Leeds, Bristol, MK, etc etc) I've had a really good time! I'm still up for them.

One thing that always used to f**k me off when I regularly went to local ones was people putting their name down and not showing up. Not even cancelling before the day, just not showing up. Also, some will come to a meet, they are made to feel welcome & they are never seen again. I don't get that.

Clio 197
I've been to some great ones over the years, but when I look back, the good ones were never just stood in a car park somewhere.

Pretty much this. There was a huge summer meet on the 197 forum a few years back. Everyone met up, got chatting about cars and then headed out for an awesome drive. Only 30% of us actually ended up at the finishing point but it was still hands down the best meet i've been to.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member

I posted a picture of your car i took at the Stevenage meet the other week.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Depends what time it is tbh, if it's 8am on a Sunday I'm not coming as I need a lye in!!

I've been to my fair share in the past, and not even just local ones (Portsmouth, Leeds, Bristol, MK, etc etc) I've had a really good time! I'm still up for them.

One thing that always used to f**k me off when I regularly went to local ones was people putting their name down and not showing up. Not even cancelling before the day, just not showing up. Also, some will come to a meet, they are made to feel welcome & they are never seen again. I don't get that.
Are you still coming down to the South Coast this week? Did you get any response from @TimR26 or @Christopher. about some kind of meet?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Used to go on loads back in the mid 2000's with the mk1 lot, always a spin out somewhere.

these days we all still 'hang out' but tend to go on trackdays instead

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
Driving meets were good but some of them got dangerous.

Car park ones can be boring as people just stand in groups and can be awkward for new people coming.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Never been interested in meets, half the time they end up being ruined by chavs anyway.

Clio 197,with megan'
I think one way to meet, and ensure people turn up, is a Track Day. If people are committed, then they book, and pay, and more than likely turn up, SO, maybe a track day?. I live in N/E Scotland, so Oulton would be around 560 miles away, but I would book, and travel. Anyone else put their money where their mouth is?.Very easy to arrange on the forums as well.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Ive been on quite a few trackdays throgh here over the years.

Tbh i found even then a small minority would get involved and chat etc. Had some decent days over the years though.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It depends really. We used to do some huge ones back in the prime CS days. 40-80 cars plus other forums attending in Trafford Park.

Driving meets were good too but they come with their own risks. After organising a meet in the Lakes where a lad in a DC2 nearly killed a biker and ended up doing time (the prison thread on Pistonheads) it kinda put me off those kind of things unless I know everyone attending.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
We did a few nice driving meets with a pub finale a couple of years ago in the Yorkshire group but after a good turnout for the first one there was a usual few that made it out again. I can't fathom why people buy a drivers car but don't want to go out for a drive on some decent roads once in a while.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
It depends really. We used to do some huge ones back in the prime CS days. 40-80 cars plus other forums attending in Trafford Park.

Driving meets were good too but they come with their own risks. After organising a meet in the Lakes where a lad in a DC2 nearly killed a biker and ended up doing time (the prison thread on Pistonheads) it kinda put me off those kind of things unless I know everyone attending.

Oh? Linky? For when I inevitably can’t find it

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think i have ever checked the meets section on here if i'm honest.

Usually my friend just messages me about stuff he has seen on FB and we just go, normally ends up being retail/car parks/industrial estates etc. I would be happy to go to something more organised, but i don't have a Clio anymore lol.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
They can be quite intimidating coming in as a new guy tbh. I’ve only ever been to one when I had the trophy. Was good fun. Quick meet and then a drive

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
That's the one @Knuckles

I saw the aftermath and was speaking to the guy about 15 minutes before it happened at the meeting point. Ironically, he was telling everyone to be careful.

We all called it a day pretty quickly once we found out.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
I never make it to any because my car is always broken ?

Booked off time from work for all the shows last year like CSF and PFC too and spent that time on my back on the driver spannering instead ?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
That's the one @Knuckles

I saw the aftermath and was speaking to the guy about 15 minutes before it happened at the meeting point. Ironically, he was telling everyone to be careful.

We all called it a day pretty quickly once we found out.

Reading that thread, I thought ‘holy s**t’ a year for an accident. Then I read he was at home after 3 months, such justice system!

Swift Sport
My reasons, other than the fact I don't own a Clio...

- We can't organise sprited country drives any more for fear of getting done by a speed camera van.

- Going out is becoming increasingly expensive, as is the cost of motoring... Especially for youngsters.

- Forums just aren't that popular now, and many of us spend more time of Facebook instead.

- Banter... I hate the word but it's just something that seems to be fading away thanks to the snowflake generation who are offended by everything. So people are generally less fun these days.

- The hot hatch generation seems to have been replaced by a much more serious crowd of wannabe ballers, driving leased BMW's and Audi's who wouldn't dream of a fun day out with fellow car enthusiasts.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
They can be quite intimidating coming in as a new guy tbh. I’ve only ever been to one when I had the trophy. Was good fun. Quick meet and then a drive

They can be to start with, I had the same years ago with another club back in my Renault 5 days. My first meet was actually in my home town of Southend along the seafront, I turned up in the 5 GT Turbo all enthusiastic and eager to meet fellow car owners only to be pretty much blanked after introducing myself! But I just hung around and cracked up the odd conversation with a few people and it went from there. The Internet wasn't as profilic as today but people would still post about trackdays they'd be attending so I just went along, again striking up conversations helping people in the pits and just getting to know more people. It happened a few times and now about 13 years later they've become genuine true friends.

We've been abroad, rolling road days, trackdays, car shows that don't involve Clios, curry nights, beers. We can all make it what it is, everyone we meet don't have to become friends but we all share the same passion for Clios and cars.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Yorkshire area used to be decent for meets - now it’s s**t.

I blame the rep.

A chap by the user name of "ELKORB" iirc ruined meets for me.

In the space of 10 seconds, the guy managed to wind me up so much that I had to leave or I'd have flattened him.

We should have a biker meet though. That would be cool because there would probably only be me and thee

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
A chap by the user name of "ELKORB" iirc ruined meets for me.

In the space of 10 seconds, the guy managed to wind me up so much that I had to leave or I'd have flattened him.

We should have a biker meet though. That would be cool because there would probably only be me and thee

You let one person put you off? I always found Brookie (as he later became) a decent lad.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
we used to have good ones in Scotland!
100_1686.jpg
049.jpg
054.jpg
IMG_0560.jpg
DSCF0338.jpg

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
They can be to start with, I had the same years ago with another club back in my Renault 5 days. My first meet was actually in my home town of Southend along the seafront, I turned up in the 5 GT Turbo all enthusiastic and eager to meet fellow car owners only to be pretty much blanked after introducing myself! But I just hung around and cracked up the odd conversation with a few people and it went from there. The Internet wasn't as profilic as today but people would still post about trackdays they'd be attending so I just went along, again striking up conversations helping people in the pits and just getting to know more people. It happened a few times and now about 13 years later they've become genuine true friends.

We've been abroad, rolling road days, trackdays, car shows that don't involve Clios, curry nights, beers. We can all make it what it is, everyone we meet don't have to become friends but we all share the same passion for Clios and cars.
I've been to a few meets organised by Renaultsportclub.co.uk and although they all come across as nice people they are a hard group to infiltrate. The forum is basically one man posting stuff and the usual crowd attending meets. They did feed us free bacon butties though!

I used to be the Yorkshire rep and we had some really good meets and drives out up to the Yorkshire coast but it died 4 or 5 years ago.

I can’t be arsed as I have a family now and quite frankly have better things to do than meet up in a car park to look at Clios.