ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why members don’t attend meets?

CBR1000RR Fireblade
You let one person put you off? I always found Brookie (as he later became) a decent lad.

I'd been to various meets and shows over the years with a few different forums. I enjoyed it all back then but unfortunately the few spoiled it for the many.

I became fed up with a lot of forum member egos and the amount of crap that they would spew to one another.

The old post office was the nail in the coffin for me. I haven't been to a meet since and that was back in 2009 iirc

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Its a tough one tbh, i organise a fair few things for turborenault, and to be honest its hard work these days. Im lucky in the way that i run a daily renault and have an old renault so get to a few different events but getting people to attend and or commit these days is hard. Maybe as we have aged (been doing the renault thing 18 years now) the ability to up and leave for a car event/meet up has changed. I know it has for me, having a family now means i cant be as selfish i guess and things take more planning and consideration? Times have changed for the newer/younger crowd of people? every young lad seems to be flossing in brand new standard cars and take more pride in just owning one to show how big their wallet is maybe? a far cry from myself running around in a £90 renault 5 as a first car, clio mk1 as a second. I also work with alot of apprentices, so lads up to 20ish who all they are interested in is getting smashed off their tits and sleeping off the weekend.

Maybe as a whole the car scene is dying off, no new blood coming in, older generations not having as much free time. Maybe the meets arnt as good?

Sucks ass really as some people that id consider really close friends have come through a shared passion of cars that ive met through forums or meets

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Its a tough one tbh, i organise a fair few things for turborenault, and to be honest its hard work these days. Im lucky in the way that i run a daily renault and have an old renault so get to a few different events but getting people to attend and or commit these days is hard. Maybe as we have aged (been doing the renault thing 18 years now) the ability to up and leave for a car event/meet up has changed. I know it has for me, having a family now means i cant be as selfish i guess and things take more planning and consideration? Times have changed for the newer/younger crowd of people? every young lad seems to be flossing in brand new standard cars and take more pride in just owning one to show how big their wallet is maybe? a far cry from myself running around in a £90 renault 5 as a first car, clio mk1 as a second. I also work with alot of apprentices, so lads up to 20ish who all they are interested in is getting smashed off their tits and sleeping off the weekend.

Maybe as a whole the car scene is dying off, no new blood coming in, older generations not having as much free time. Maybe the meets arnt as good?

Sucks ass really as some people that id consider really close friends have come through a shared passion of cars that ive met through forums or meets

Not sure about that. In couple of meets I’ve been to in the last 6 months I’ve met quite a lot of under 25s running stuff like M135is. Sure it might not appear that wise but it’s never been easier to buy things like that. Fair play to them and people will always be passionate about cars. Times just change. And if people are into brand new A3 S Lines with painted spoilers how different under the covers is that really from having a £500 Fiesta and browsing the last 20 pages of Maxpower to see which K&N induction kit will fit...

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure about that. In couple of meets I’ve been to in the last 6 months I’ve met quite a lot of under 25s running stuff like M135is. Sure it might not appear that wise but it’s never been easier to buy things like that. Fair play to them and people will always be passionate about cars. Times just change. And if people are into brand new A3 S Lines with painted spoilers how different under the covers is that really from having a £500 Fiesta and browsing the last 20 pages of Maxpower to see which K&N induction kit will fit...

Might be just in the areas/circles i mingle in then. Im not saying none are into it these days just alot less than there used to be, im also not saying the ones that are into cars arnt true enthusiasts either? Any one into cars in anyway gets a thumbs up and convo from me (y) just around here or the people i mingle with at work and such have these really nice cars but no interest in them.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I’m buying a house, girlfriend is having a baby, and Megane is getting resprayed so been busy and don’t have a car lol

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
A chap by the user name of "ELKORB" iirc ruined meets for me.

In the space of 10 seconds, the guy managed to wind me up so much that I had to leave or I'd have flattened him.

We should have a biker meet though. That would be cool because there would probably only be me and thee

Hello. Not a clue who you are. You sound lovely though x

You let one person put you off? I always found Brookie (as he later became) a decent lad.

?

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
I'd been to various meets and shows over the years with a few different forums. I enjoyed it all back then but unfortunately the few spoiled it for the many.

I became fed up with a lot of forum member egos and the amount of crap that they would spew to one another.

The old post office was the nail in the coffin for me. I haven't been to a meet since and that was back in 2009 iirc

...also, just read this one. If you knew me, like many do on here from being a regular Yorkshire meet attender, you'd know I was about as far from 'forum ego' as possible.

We always had a good laugh, good natter about cars and normally ending in a decent drive out. Met a lot of good people I consider friends on here.

That being said, I guess if you were prepared to turn up to a friendly car meet and 'flatten' someone, you were probably never going to fit in.

(Plus Jim would have nabbed you)

CBR1000RR Fireblade
...also, just read this one. If you knew me, like many do on here from being a regular Yorkshire meet attender, you'd know I was about as far from 'forum ego' as possible.

We always had a good laugh, good natter about cars and normally ending in a decent drive out. Met a lot of good people I consider friends on here.

That being said, I guess if you were prepared to turn up to a friendly car meet and 'flatten' someone, you were probably never going to fit in.

(Plus Jim would have nabbed you)

LOL at your mate tagging you and then bringing you in like tag team forum bros

Keep in mind that this was around 10 years ago so granted, you may have changed and are no longer rude and have an ego. Tbh; I don't really care either way. Your behaviours at one specific meet weren't the the sole reason that I no longer attend car meets. It was building up for quite sometime through various people's actions, attitudes and behaviours within forum meets. It came to a point where it was not for me anymore. Although that meet was the nail in the coffin

I'm glad that you had a good time at these car meets and made some good friends out of it. I suppose that's what It started out like for me, but changed years down the line.

I'm always prepared to "flatten" someone. When you've thrown people out of pubs and nightclubs for a living, it's a mindset that you develop which never leaves you. It wasn't a case of not "fitting in", I do still keep in touch with quite a few enthusiasts that I befriended over the 14/15 years I have frequented car and bike forums.

I am well aware who jim is and what his vocation is. I have met Jim on several occasions, although the last time was quite a while ago. Having to rely on law enforcement after you've come booming in with comments and kiss emojis is quite frankly, pathetic and a typical snowflake mindset.

Times have changed, as I have I. I no longer fight folk and I have no desire to be baited into battles with keyboard warriors on internet car forums. I have better things to do with my time.

I've commented on the thread topic and expressed my opinion and explained why I no longer attend meets. I have no further Input to add so; I'm out.

Good day

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
When I say better, I mean go to play gyms :(

Work and kids parties for me.

I prefer the bigger meets now with various marques - cars in the park, pistonheads meets etc. That’s not because I’ve got anything against clios, I just prefer the variety of stuff on show.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

Keep in mind that this was around 10 years ago so granted, you may have changed and are no longer rude and have an ego. Tbh; I don't really care either way. Your behaviours at one specific meet weren't the the sole reason that I no longer attend car meets. It was building up for quite sometime through various people's actions, attitudes and behaviours within forum meets. It came to a point where it was not for me anymore. Although that meet was the nail in the coffin

I'm glad that you had a good time at these car meets and made some good friends out of it. I suppose that's what It started out like for me, but changed years down the line.

I'm always prepared to "flatten" someone. When you've thrown people out of pubs and nightclubs for a living, it's a mindset that you develop which never leaves you. It wasn't a case of not "fitting in", I do still keep in touch with quite a few enthusiasts that I befriended over the 14/15 years I have frequented car and bike forums.

I am well aware who jim is and what his vocation is. I have met Jim on several occasions, although the last time was quite a while ago. Having to rely on law enforcement after you've come booming in with comments and kiss emojis is quite frankly, pathetic and a typical snowflake mindset.

Times have changed, as I have I. I no longer fight folk and I have no desire to be baited into battles with keyboard warriors on internet car forums. I have better things to do with my time.

I've commented on the thread topic and expressed my opinion and explained why I no longer attend meets. I have no further Input to add so; I'm out.

Good day
And you called Brookie a snowflake hahahahaha wow

Seems like you probably couldn't handle banter at the time buddy

I tagged him because I didn't like the idea of him being talked about behind his back. We're not "mates", I met brookie once at a meet, thought he was absolutely sound.

Good evening

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member

Good day

Jeez. Only commented for a laugh. Like I said, no idea who you are.

Rely on law enforcement however is one of the best things I’ve read on here to date, so that cheered me up. Jim’s a mate - it was clearly a joke.

One thing I will say - being a bouncer and flattening someone at a fun car meet in a pub car park for having a laugh with mates are 2 very different things.

Good day to you also. Like you said, you’ve clearly changed!

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
And you called Brookie a snowflake hahahahaha wow

Seems like you probably couldn't handle banter at the time buddy

I tagged him because I didn't like the idea of him being talked about behind his back. We're not "mates", I met brookie once at a meet, thought he was absolutely sound.

Good evening

Twice ?

dan's cast offs.
According to some gimp on one of the twingo idiotbook pages people don't go because of people like me and my lad!!

Ironic because we don't go to them because majority or pics I've seen from shows we'd end up on a killing spree or just tell the delicate little flowers we don't like their car and they'd probably top themselves anyway.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Forum personalities are hilarious. I remember at the first CSS meeting some geezer who I remember being rude as f**k on here, only for him to have a handshake resembling a dead fish and spoke softer than MJ.

I don’t really do meets these days unless it’s to see some of the lot I’ve known for years. I’ve met some good friends through here though. Plenty of weirdo’s too, but I just ignore them.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
So funny when you've got a picture of someone in your head from off the forum, you meet them in real life and they're nothing like you imagined.

Everybody I've met off here's been sound. Other than @dann2707, the more you get to know about him, the weirder he seems.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Standard of driving on meets was an off putter for me, but things may have changed. Last I was a regular was in 2010 in the North West, and it was always the car park meets (because of the former) that I enjoyed most. I think Christopher organised many of them - remember spending time at the Trafford Centre, some place in Warrington and Delamere Forrest in particular.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
I use to go the the odd one at Trafford centre when I could find time which were a laugh. But now I've got a family and my son and work nights Im lucky to find time where we don't have appointments or other important stuff.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Standard of driving on meets was an off putter for me, but things may have changed. Last I was a regular was in 2010 in the North West, and it was always the car park meets (because of the former) that I enjoyed most. I think Christopher organised many of them - remember spending time at the Trafford Centre, some place in Warrington and Delamere Forrest in particular.

I use to go the the odd one at Trafford centre when I could find time which were a laugh. But now I've got a family and my son and work nights Im lucky to find time where we don't have appointments or other important stuff.

I remember when us Yorkshire lot came over to the 'Big Manchester Meet' in 2010. The biggest I've been to from here.

My pics from the day, weird looking back now:

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/the-big-manchester-meet-pic-heavy.543404/

Last edited: