ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

why would crankshaft bearings be replaced?

R35 GTR
after the major oil leak i have had?

just trying to figure out why they would be replaced if they say my engine is fine....

Just be be sure they might have changed them.

If the engine was in pieces to fix the pump they might have got the OK from Renault to replace them just incase they were wrong they'd only know when the engine back together so another bill to strip it and and change them.

Obsessive

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
If your engine is stripped, it's common practice to replace the crank bearings ( bigs and mains) anyway. The relative cost of these bearings is minor, so it's not worth NOT replacing them.

tiTTy & SV650
yeah sounds like its just a precautionary thing, the work they do is covered with a 1 year warranty of its own so if they dont fix something that they should have, you'll be covered.

Replacing engine bearings is only because its needed, if you take off the caps its easy enough to see if they do or do not need replacing.

Ask them if you can come by to take photographic evidence then post it up here so i can see.

Bearings would possible be damaged because the oil filter recieves all pressurised oil before it is sent to the crank to lube the bearings. YOur lack of oil can damage an engine quite fast.

you'll more importantly want to make sure that nothing is wrong with the crank.

R35 GTR
I was thinking that crank may be damaged, as if the bearing went dry i suppose this could twist the crankshaft slightly, and be responsible for the engine knocking i could hear.

However could the engine knocking have occured due to the ecu still being in learning mode?

I will ask for photos, but if not, how much would it cost to get someone I definitely trust to check it all out? I am not after the whole engine being stripped down, as I think that it would
be more economical for a new engine.lol.

I have not noticed any smoke out of exhaust.

Another problem i have is that it doesnt start first time at all, second time is ok, idling is erratic while it trys to stabilise.

Renault said something about manifold pressure error on the diagnostic that they didnt have time to look at, as I wanted it back on the road so quick. I think I should just give it back to them and not have it back till its 100% checked and ok.

MK1 Clio 16v
I wouldn't of had it back off them until it was absolutely perfect if i were you. You paid good money for that car and you don't want to have to buy a new engine a year down the line when your warranty on the engine runs out. Get it back to Renault and get it sorted. If the engine is knocking, make them sort it.

Hopefully if you moan about enough stuff they'll just stick a new engine in!

Don't put up with dodgy idle/knocking noises though! Sounds bad!

R35 GTR
cliokiz said:
I wouldn't of had it back off them until it was absolutely perfect if i were you. You paid good money for that car and you don't want to have to buy a new engine a year down the line when your warranty on the engine runs out. Get it back to Renault and get it sorted. If the engine is knocking, make them sort it.

Hopefully if you moan about enough stuff they'll just stick a new engine in!

Don't put up with dodgy idle/knocking noises though! Sounds bad!
Everything seems ok now, just got the dodgy jerkiness from cold. Traction control is back, and all lights are gone, except for that damn petrol light that appears all the time.:mad:

I am trying to get receipts of the jobs done on the engine, just in case.

And i have an appointment booked for 4th october, if anything happens between now and then they can sort it.