ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WiFi security problem - Doing my fookin scone in!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Iv just upgraded my router at home to a netgear DG834GT, mainly as my old un only supported WEP and it was only 11mbps so slow as fook!

Anyway all up and running in litteraly 5 minutes on my home pc.

Managed to get my IBM Thinkpad on and connected via WPA-PSK no problem.

N95 connected via the same, no problem.

Also got an Acer laptop.....this b*stard will not connect at all!

I have tried just about everything I can think of, but cant understand why it wont connect. Any ideas? Here is what iv already done:

* Have trusted MAC addresses on only, but works fine when WPA is off so cant be related to that
* Made sure the laptop is running all the latest windows updates (it was anyway) and SP2
* removed and installed the laptops WiFi drivers for the latest version
* completely removed the WiFi connection and let it find it autimaticaly. Found it, clicked connect, entered the WPA-PSK password, and it just sits there saying "waiting for the network", then after 30 secs or so just closes the status bar and it isnt connected.
* connected it all up manually via both TKIP and AES
* tried it with a static IP setup
* ensured there is no firewall on at all

Bearing in mind this worked perfectly before on the old Netgear using WEP. and it works perfectly fine with no WPA on at all!

Cant understand it, as it is setup identical to my IBM laptop, yet that connects straight away no problems at all!

Any ideas?

you tried connecting it using an ethernet cable and setting it that way? works for me whenever my one decides not to work

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Just given that a go, but no change :( Boooooo!

Im working away for a week like, so could do with it working for my old man to use net while im not here! Hence still being up when im up at 6 a fukin m! lol

T

thecremeegg

How old is the laptop? A few of my housemates have had issues with the wireless in their laptops not being able to handle security on our wireless network, had to downgrade to WEP

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
its a few year old, but it should be more than capable of handling it.

might try a pcmcia card if i can get hold of one to rule that out!

T

thecremeegg

Yea well some of the ones we had problems with were only 2 years old, so its definately a possibility. Weirdly enough, it seems to only be a problem with some routers, as since moving house and having a new router the problem has occurred, settings werent changed.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
thanks for the link mate. the laptop has SP2 on though so this wont go on as i think its part of sp2 already. fkin thing is doing my nut in!

Newer driver for the wireless adaptor? Also check the router has the latest firmware. Some laptops have problems with our access points at work and its usually the driver.

Citroen DS3 DSport
The laptop support the wireless type been broadcast by your router? Type 802.11b or 802.11g?

Older laptop's may not support 802.11g so ensure the router is broadcasting both.

EDIT:

Jusr re-read your post and see that it does connect without any security.

Last edited:
  20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
yeh it connects without so must be something to do with the WPA.

Router and laptop both haver latest drivers/firmware.

bit of a mystery this one

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Ive noticed this problem with my old desktop when i was trying to connect to the sky router. Turns out its down to the firmware in the wireless network card not being able to support 8 digit WPA.

RIP Dan
Been doing exactly this today.

WEP is ok but WPA isnt.

Turns out my pcmcia card is too old or sh1t to support WPA.

Put a newer card in and bingo.

just a suggestion as it has worked for me before, try going into the wireless settings in the router n drop the wireless channel down a bit

e.g default is channel 11, try changing it 2 channel 4 or 5

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
will give it a go cheers!

next option is a new WiFi card for the laptop I think! Just seems daft when its got it built in!

dk

911 GTS Cab
Ive noticed this problem with my old desktop when i was trying to connect to the sky router. Turns out its down to the firmware in the wireless network card not being able to support 8 digit WPA.
LOL I am having this same issue with a sky router (think its netgear they use) at my mates house, took my laptop around there to plan a holiday and i couldn't connect to it, even though i had the key etc it wasn't having it and mine is a 2 yr old top of the range sony laptop.

So it must be that my laptop doesn't support 8 digit key wpa too.