ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will 172 engine fit in 182

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
I am having a massive issue with my engine needing replaced... i have a on-going debate on eBay and a few people i know are saying no it won't fit and requires massive modification. I have been offered engine for £275 with upper inlet manifold from 172 as he says that will fit right in like that. I was under the illusion the only difference was the R.S bottom man and the exhaust man 4-2-1.

Can somebody just please tell me if it's a simple fit because if not it's £475 for the 182 engine. I'd obviously much rather pay £275, as already put a lot into this car.

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
Cool. As somebody on Ebay is conviced the breather holes on the 172 are different and won't fit. I think he's just trying to sell me a more expensive engine to be honest

Last edited:

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Cool. As somebody on Ebay is conviced the breather holes on the 172 are different and won't fit. I think he's just trying to sell me a more expensive engine to be honest
The cam cover breather is different. I believe you'll just need a 172 inlet thats all.

I think that's right anyway lol

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
Well the guy will give me the engine with 172 upper inlet manifold for £275. I think that's cheap.. no? So what you're saying is if he gives me that it's simple fit, in theory lol.

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
That's what i was thinking. My old engine just had every belt, water pump etc changed before it died, so can use them as doesn't look like it has any damage to them. Hopefully somebody will buy the old engine for £50-100 or whatever to cover the costs..

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
It will be fine. If you want to use your upper manifold you would have to change the breather plate on your old engine to the 172 engine.

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
So if i use the 172 upper manifold this guy is giving me it's a simple fit? Any bad points to using the 172 manifold? Ideally need the car for Monday so was gonna fetch engine tonight and fit tomorrow. I am not bothered about using the 172 manifold if fits easy etc.

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
Well i'm not bothered about what anybody thinks on here etc, i only plan to keep it another 6 months to a year while i finish saving for a Skyline, which i could near by there now if i hadn't of brought this car... As long as it fits right in and works as should i couldn't care less as was a great car!

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
Brought a 172 engine last night. Nearly got my old engine out, for some reason I have no Aux belt so had to buy one of them, along with some new exhaust gaskets. Lots of metal chips came out the head so engine must be well and truly bust! Fingers crossed it's back on the road later on tonight.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You need to fit a new aux belt kit, otherwise you run the risk of it happening again.

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
Had a look one of the valves and it's completely battered inside. Once i have done everything i will take the head off to see further damage. Yeah, got a belt kit, probably won't be done today, taking a lot longer than expected