ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will castrol GTD magnetec work in my 172??

Roadster Coupe
I just went out and bought some Castrol GTD Magnetec 5W40 oil for my 172 Ph2, but on the bottle it says its for diesel engines but I thougth it wouldnt matter becuause its the same grade. Does anyone know if this will run ok before I fill it up?

I just went out and bought some Castrol GTD Magnetec 5W40 oil for my 172 Ph2, but on the bottle it says its for diesel engines but I thougth it wouldnt matter becuause its the same grade. Does anyone know if this will run ok before I fill it up?

no because it's for diesels , believe the petrol ones is the gtx stuff ?

Roadster Coupe
if you go on the castrol website, they dont make any 5W40 oil for petrol, only the diesel GTD stuff. u know if duckhams oil is any good?

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
How bout the Castrol edge sport 0W40 oil? supposed 2 b good I heard as well.
Yozzasport recommended the stuff Renault use - Elf Excellium - to me.
i personally recommend silkolene oil

All good oils ^^ and will come down to preference in the end. Magnetic stuff is mineral based, totaly s**t. Road posts by oilman to and a few Wiki's to understand more, essential reading for car owners imo

Lionel Richie
there's a clue in there somewhere

GTD is for a DIESEL car, your car is PETROL

i hope you have the receipt, castrol always seems to make F4R engines more tappety

BMW M135i
Don't bother with magnatec full stop, made mine sound like a skeleton having a w**k in a biscuit tin.

J

Jim NM

I like valvoline, used it for years... Millers has a good write up though.

You cannot beat 100% synthethic whatever the brand. IMO

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Diesle oils are different dispite the same grade (Viscocity). They have much higher levels of detergent due to the sooting of Diesel engines.