ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will these ultraleggeras fit my 172?

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Hi all.

I am a bit of a novice when it comes to understnad alloys and tyre sizes.

I am looking at buying some 16" Anthracite Ultraleggeras off a member on here. They are 195/45/16 and the chap has had them on his Clio Mk1.

ET is 37

Will these be alright on my Mk2 Ph2 Clio 172?

Last edited:
  330Ci (Fail)Sport
I've just fitted et38 wheels on mine and they're fine, lowered about 50-60mm too.

Only fitted this morning, but still a bit of distance from arches and been for a few drives today and no problems, so standard height should be absolutely fine.

195/45/16 are standard ph2 172 tyre size anyway.

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Thx
so in terms of offset do these stick out more or less than the standard alloys. Is there likely to be any noticable negative effect on the balance and drive of the car?

Yes mate they should be fine I am running ET37 15 inch Williams wheels on my Trophy with 195/50/15's they will stick out a bit but shouldn't cause any problems.

I would suggest that you try them on the car and drive the car around the block just to make sure your happy and the wheels feel fine to you.

:)

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
So what is the ET on the standard 172 alloys. Thus how much more will they be sticking out. Will eat even be noticeable to an undiscerning eye?

Am I right in saying the PCD is is the same for the MK1 Clio as it is for the MK2 Clio (172)

Thanks

koi

Audi S1
I have 16" Superleggeras with 205/45/16 tyres, lowered on sportlines and have no scrubbing

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
does anyone know the bore on the ultraleggeras compared to the standard 172 alloys.

Still wondering if handling is effected by the wheels sticking out a bit more

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Andyman said:
Handling should be better due to the wider track.

Anything between et43 - et35 is well within the limits

Thanks, that's great to know.

What's the crack with the bore size on alloys, and these in particular (apologies for being such a novice at buying or understanding alloys)

Ph1
IIRC you can buy different centre bore spigot (sp?) rings for the 'leggra' range? well you can for the Super versions. If it was wrong you just buy the correct rings.

Not sure if mk1 Clio share the same centre bores with the mk2's but i belive its 63. something on the mk2's?

Might be a sticky'd thread somewhere on the forum with all the info on.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Williams are mk1 wheels so for Matt to have them on his car, I'd guess they're the same bore size. Might need to check this out on a car wheel info site etc. Or might be in the guides section actually.

I'll check the standard 172 wheel offset tomo, I've just taken mine off. Am sure they said et48, but I may have misread it so it might be et43 as said above. et37 they will stick out more, et is something like the center of the wheel in comparison to the hub of the wheel, so a positive number means the centre is sticking out from the hub. Bit hard to explain without pictures, plenty of info about it on the net though. If the Ultras are 7" which I'm assuming they are, an et37 means they will stick out 6mm more than standard wheels if standard wheels are et43. Which will give you a 12mm wider track.

PCD is about the bolt spacing, 4x100 for both mk1 and mk2 IIRC. The bore is the size of the centre hole. So alloys are available in different sizes to accomodate for different cars. If its too big for your car, then you can get spigot rings which fit in the middle of the hole to decrease the size to the correct diameter for the car. Very cheap to get. This very important as this is what the wheel sits on. If the wheel bore is bigger than the car's then the wheel will basically be resting on the wheel nuts, which is dangereous as that's not what they are designed to do, they're just there to keep the wheel from falling off.

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Vish said:
Williams are mk1 wheels so for Matt to have them on his car, I'd guess they're the same bore size. Might need to check this out on a car wheel info site etc. Or might be in the guides section actually.

I'll check the standard 172 wheel offset tomo, I've just taken mine off. Am sure they said et48, but I may have misread it so it might be et43 as said above. et37 they will stick out more, et is something like the center of the wheel in comparison to the hub of the wheel, so a positive number means the centre is sticking out from the hub. Bit hard to explain without pictures, plenty of info about it on the net though. If the Ultras are 7" which I'm assuming they are, an et37 means they will stick out 6mm more than standard wheels if standard wheels are et43. Which will give you a 12mm wider track.

PCD is about the bolt spacing, 4x100 for both mk1 and mk2 IIRC. The bore is the size of the centre hole. So alloys are available in different sizes to accomodate for different cars. If its too big for your car, then you can get spigot rings which fit in the middle of the hole to decrease the size to the correct diameter for the car. Very cheap to get. This very important as this is what the wheel sits on. If the wheel bore is bigger than the car's then the wheel will basically be resting on the wheel nuts, which is dangereous as that's not what they are designed to do, they're just there to keep the wheel from falling off.

Thank :)

This was really help for a novice like me.

Sounds like I just need to confirm the bore sizes are a match, thus if I need spigot rings.

330Ci (Fail)Sport

Sounds like I just need to confirm the bore sizes are a match, thus if I need spigot rings.

No worries, glad to help.

Bore is 60.1 on both mk1 and mk2. Did a quick search. 172 ph2 wheel is et48 as well. Which means that your wheels will stick out 11mm each side, but like I said mine are 38 and still got space. Bonus is it'll look better too!

Couple of threads on this page of the guide section: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42&order=desc&page=6

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Vish said:

No worries, glad to help.

Bore is 60.1 on both mk1 and mk2. Did a quick search. 172 ph2 wheel is et48 as well. Which means that your wheels will stick out 11mm each side, but like I said mine are 38 and still got space. Bonus is it'll look better too!

Couple of threads on this page of the guide section: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42&order=desc&page=6

Great.

Looks like I am all sort with the ultraleggeras.

Not sure how it will look better though with then sticking out more. How do you figure this

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Loads of space between the wheel and the edge of the arch, that's why quite a few people have fitted spacers, to decrease this gap. With a lower et wheel, it'll fill that gap better. As soon as I put mine on, I loved the difference! Have a look at spacer threads in the media section.